Humbling round of permission asking. Frustration.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pass by these big houses with big yards from 1890-1900s often. I decided to suck it up and knock some doors. How hard could it be? Back in my home town if you are lucky enough to actually find a person near their home they are like "sounds cool have fun."
I found that many residences were broken up into rental units. No go there on 3-4 of them but found out where to find one of the owners who works at a law office. I doubt I'll be following up on that one. I got a nice husband and wife who were iffy so I gave my pitch, left my number and said I'd check back in a few weeks if I don't hear from them. Slow motion disappointment.
Then I saw what I was looking for. A car pulls into one of the driveways. I waited until he got situated n walked up the driveway. He came out to check the mailbox as I walked up. Perfect timing. I gave my pitch and before I was finished he was like " yea no problem have fun." I was explaining I would show him the finds and he goes " you dig it up its yours." Wow I like this guy! Like a comedy skit his wife busts out on the front porch and is like " Woah no you don't!!! I just was overhearing you and you're going to let this guy dig up the yard!?"
The guys like "Oh yea, like he could hurt this beautiful grass? lol (the grass was crappy and patchy and he didn't care about it obviously which factored into my choosing his house vs the neighbors in the first place) I launch into my explanation of how I dig the plug and the conditions are perfect they'll never know I dug a thing, its nice and moist etc. but she was on a mission to shut me down. The guy looked at me kind of apologetically and said they'd think about it so I left my number and said I'd check back with them in a couple weeks if I didn't hear anything- slow motion disappointment number 2.
Then I went over to a snoball stand next to a little park where I had found lots of quarters by eye on the ground and got a " I am not qualified to say yes the owners not here". By then I had been asking and talking for over an hour and a half and the day had gotten away from me and my mood was shot. I dug a couple pennies and trash at the local park n headed home hanging my head. I feel like my pitch is good, my presentation is good, people find me friendly and tend to trust me and like me but I can't land a single yes out of 4 homeowners? Ugh, I am irritated. I am going to keep hammering my way down that stretch of road because every yard I've gotten has yielded some silver around there but man its frustrating.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread