Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Humbling round of permission asking. Frustration.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    751 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Humbling round of permission asking. Frustration.

I pass by these big houses with big yards from 1890-1900s often. I decided to suck it up and knock some doors. How hard could it be? Back in my home town if you are lucky enough to actually find a person near their home they are like "sounds cool have fun."
    I found that many residences were broken up into rental units. No go there on 3-4 of them but found out where to find one of the owners who works at a law office. I doubt I'll be following up on that one. I got a nice husband and wife who were iffy so I gave my pitch, left my number and said I'd check back in a few weeks if I don't hear from them. Slow motion disappointment.
    Then I saw what I was looking for. A car pulls into one of the driveways. I waited until he got situated n walked up the driveway. He came out to check the mailbox as I walked up. Perfect timing. I gave my pitch and before I was finished he was like " yea no problem have fun." I was explaining I would show him the finds and he goes " you dig it up its yours." Wow I like this guy! Like a comedy skit his wife busts out on the front porch and is like " Woah no you don't!!! I just was overhearing you and you're going to let this guy dig up the yard!?"
    The guys like "Oh yea, like he could hurt this beautiful grass? lol (the grass was crappy and patchy and he didn't care about it obviously which factored into my choosing his house vs the neighbors in the first place) I launch into my explanation of how I dig the plug and the conditions are perfect they'll never know I dug a thing, its nice and moist etc. but she was on a mission to shut me down. The guy looked at me kind of apologetically and said they'd think about it so I left my number and said I'd check back with them in a couple weeks if I didn't hear anything- slow motion disappointment number 2.
    Then I went over to a snoball stand next to a little park where I had found lots of quarters by eye on the ground and got a " I am not qualified to say yes the owners not here". By then I had been asking and talking for over an hour and a half and the day had gotten away from me and my mood was shot. I dug a couple pennies and trash at the local park n headed home hanging my head. I feel like my pitch is good, my presentation is good, people find me friendly and tend to trust me and like me but I can't land a single yes out of 4 homeowners? Ugh, I am irritated. I am going to keep hammering my way down that stretch of road because every yard I've gotten has yielded some silver around there but man its frustrating.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5351 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    When they seem to have a hesitation about what damage you may do, I offer to give them a demonstration. I try to find a medium depth (something that should be just under the roots, so you don't have to tear the plug apart) target in some nice, soft, easily pluggable ground, and make the cleanest possible trap door plug that you can. A copper memorial cent is ideal, if you have a detector that can I.D. one. That way, they probably won't want it, but if they do, no big loss. You'd hate to pop a nice Walking Half or Barber and have them snatch it out of your hand! They might decide to get a detector themselves and tell you to get lost! It also gives you more credibility and appreciation if you can I.D. the target before you dig it. Pass over a few "junk" sounds (and let them know they're junk) and then pop something that you can positively I.D. They'll think you have Xray eyes! That will impress them with your competence and show that you can be selective about what you try to recover and are not going to just dig willy-nilly.
    Last edited by cudamark; Sep 12, 2018 at 12:41 PM.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    17403 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yep, it's tough for me to get up the guts to just ask.
    Then if you get rejected,, it gets tougher. I do like old permissions though.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Mar 2018
    Delaware
    White's, Technetics, Fisher
    11 times
    I know this frustration. I have a potentially great spot, an old colonial river landing site, and I have been over a month trying to find the owner. No one is EVER home!

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    9046 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I dont want to hear the no and get off my porch you wont find a treasure chest in my yard
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    9046 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    that or they just dont answer cause your selling something
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5009 times
    Then sometimes you will get lucky with a group of neighbors, one will say "yes", and the others want in! They don't want to miss out!! "Do my yard too!" and before you know it you have 5 or 6 in one spot.

Keep at it!! I was very lucky. I didn't do too many yards over the years but had more yes's than no's. You just kind of feel out the whole area and once you make a friend in that area, they tend to have someone else that is curious of what's in their yard.

Added....The wife has the say a lot of times....Take a female!!! Girlfriend, Wife, daughter, neighbor, sister etc...That is upbeat ! That helps a ton on permissions and seems less intimidating in some cases. The old guys want to talk to the girl, sometimes the lady of the house connects, etc....Kind of sick way to get permission? But does work in a lot cases if there is a certain place you really want to hunt.

Keep the whole conversation upbeat! stray from "negative words". Sounds stupid but can play a part.

Your just basically working a sale or same kind of idea. Make them comfortable, try to gain quick trust, appearance has to match the area, etc..... Your the one walking into "their area"... I've had "no".."Absolutely not" ...turn into.."well? Go ahead, your not hurting anything" within minutes of talking to them. I've had the "no". and just no way around it.
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 13, 2018 at 03:14 PM.

us
    Apr 2016
    Twin Cities
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Bounty Hunter QD2
    596 times
    Metal Detecting
    Pretty sad that the guy was completely run over by his wife. Like, grow a pair, dude.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3049 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
    Pretty sad that the guy was completely run over by his wife. Like, grow a pair, dude.
    Reminds me of a comedian I follow when talks about “Man Caves” he says that those didn’t exist with his father, his dads man cave was called the house!

us
    Jun 2012
    New Mexico
    Minelab Etrac
    3134 times
    Well I had scored a nice permission and the landscape guy was there and told the owner not to let me md the yd, so the owner listen to the landscape guy redacted the premission. I had dug about four plugs and I ask landscaping guy if he could see where I've been and said no, but owner said no.
    the_mad_cladder and devldog like this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    13679 times
    Swing till ya hit!
    You want to dance ,then when a gal says "no thanks" you ask another.

I don't take detecting permission refusals as personal. They would turn down most any one else too.

A yes will take away the no's. No's don't count anyways unless you let them.
    Still ,it is not easy sometimes askin...Then to get shot dion. L.o.l..

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus
    4543 times
    I sold industrial supplies for 41 years. It's nothing more than cold calling and selling yourself. I hated to be rejected for(I've heard them all) reasons. But when you get use to it they just happen and you're all set. Donuts don't hurt either.
    devldog, Nitric and SD51 like this.
    Words not spoken never have to be defended

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    214 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    You could also let them know of the metals in the yard that they can get cut on. As a side bargain of the permission that you will dig up and dispose of any metal trash you find. If that woman is a mother with kids that play in the yard, it's a service to her kids' health and that you are extra careful of putting things back into order to avoid anyone tripping on a hole and extra effort in keeping it looking as it currently is. Then show a demonstration to seal the deal on winning her confidence. Offer for her to supervise if she likes.
    devldog likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    1201 times
    Relic Hunting
    Tommy, don't feel bad, I feel your pain. Our town doesn't seem to be detector friendly at all. If you're not being told No", folks in public parks call the Police on you. I have felt many times like good ole' Charlie Brown Trick or Treating. I always seem to find a rock in the bottom of my bag. Best of luck to you in the future. Keep at it.
    Ogre1190, SD51 and A2coins like this.

us
    Dan

Feb 2016
    Petersburg Virginia
    Deus, Others
    1302 times
    Relic Hunting
    Some good replies on here. It is an issue for all detectorists. Believe it or not Charlie Daniels wrote a book about his professional life I think it is called, "Don't Look at the Empty Seats". Some lessons in there for us all. Good luck.
    SD51, devldog and A2coins like this.
    Dig it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links