Is there something special about finding a cache of coins?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I’m asking is , I got a mason jar and filled it with silver coins, (about 100 face value) and noticed it doesn’t give the signal I would have expected.

I tested it with both Etrac and CTX, and it was always a steady 11-34.

I was reading it from almost 24”s and it would go quiet around 3” because of overload.

I tested it with and without the lid thinking that’s what was giving me the odd numbers.

of course I know the chances of it all staying together is slim, but having it read lower than a buried soda can makes me wonder if I would ever dig that signal.

9CF998C8-9ADF-48B1-9FEA-3C08074D6827.jpeg

Upvote 0

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. I have a different detector than you. Mine is a AT Pro. I had always though if I swung it over a jar full of coins it would be screaming loud about it. It certainly has no problem with beer cans. I'm tempted to fill a jar with silver coins and see what happens.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Curious, did you test it with it laying on its side? I’m wondering if too many coins are “edge” up in the upright position. Just a thought.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never tried it or found a cache. I would think any detector would be screaming over that amount of silver.:icon_scratch: What do they do over a couple of silver dollars stacked. Is there a point where they assume it's not silver because of size? I didn't write that right but you get what I mean.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious, did you test it with it laying on its side? I’m wondering if too many coins are “edge” up. Just a thought.

I tested it standing up and on its side. I even had a little spill out with the lid off thinking it would hit high but it never did.

Im sure it being so much changes thing, But not one high tone.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Take a few coins out and recheck then write down the numbers. Then keep doing it until the numbers change. If they will. Good luck!

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An old silver cash would probably have an antique Mason Jar lid made of zinc on the jar.
What type of lid are you using?
I have found over a dozen old zinc jar lids and no silver.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm glad you ask. I have premission to hunt a city park where a festival is held yearly and where the booths are set up 4 years ago I found a cashe of dimes still in the roll an a bunch of quarters separate in the same one hole. It was kinda funny, I kept covering the hole and kept getting an 84(at pro) and would uncover get a quarter, cover up and another 84. I said, what ta hay. Finally I got them all. That my friend is fun coin shootin.Congrats :icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a broken jar with about $30 face in silver in it. Signal blew my ears off. I was using the xp deus with the original 9" LF coil on it.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The DFX will pick them up. I couldn't tell you the numbers, but that's been a fantastic machine for me.

I'm going to buy the AT Max to have the submersible capabilities otherwise I'm Very Happy with the DFX and Ill keep it

I'm curious to see what your testing shows.

Kace

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few years back, I hit a loaded coin purse (33 coins...clad, unfortunately) at about 5-6" and I got a steady 12-48/13-48 in both directions. Was an Etrac in basic coin mode and a NEL Sharpshooter coil.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caches can ring all over the place depending on depth, container composition, mineralization. We dug several at a home site that rang up as a penny or dime. If you think there is a cache, dig any targets that pinpoint as large.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm...I think you have many of us thinking. For me, if in a park, something that size etc., perhaps not. Out in a field somewhere or in woods? well, if it "seems" not to be iron, I'll dig it. Of course with fields and woods, foundations and fence post, I'll dig it. Finding something like that, would be my first. One can always hope.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In response to the statement "do they assume etc," Your detector does not ASSUME anything, if a large size were a factor, it would overload. It just responds to the signals it was designed for. As for the jar full of coins, every detector I've had in hand would respond solidly to that target.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to the statement "do they assume etc," Your detector does not ASSUME anything, if a large size were a factor, it would overload. It just responds to the signals it was designed for. As for the jar full of coins, every detector I've had in hand would respond solidly to that target.
luvsdux

it was no doubt a solid target, It was just a lot lower numbers than I expected.

Im actually taking it out to my hunting area this weekend to do a test in the ground with my ATP, CTX and Etrac to see what it tells me there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cache was mainly silvers about 75-100 years old, which due to the dates on the coins was buried about WWII. The broken jar was at the edge of woods line. A small tree had uprooted and it was under the 20 something year old tree. It had a very solid tone, and since I generally do not hunt by numbers, dug it. I figured worse case scenario was some big melted aluminum.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found many coin spills the different size and thickness of the coins if there are pennies also can mix the signal

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything special? Depdends on the value of the cache IMHO.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread