Coil covers yes or no ?????

Indiana-FH

Oct 7, 2008
Newburgh, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max - BH 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a huge difference in the opinion of coil cover use or not to use. Just wondering what others my think. I did not use one for years but just started using one lately on my AT Max and don’t see any drop in performance so far. However some say they see a difference and don’t want to use them , just wonder what others may think.

Upvote 0

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the coil cover on my Excal II, but it will false when it gets sand between the coil and cover, so I occasionally have to remove the cover and clean the sand from the coil and cover.

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always use one on my beach machine. I never have to think twice about the shells or rocks tearing up my coil.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've cracked three coil covers this year. My latest one is cracked and chipped, so I attached it with electrical tape. No way am I buying another one this year. They should make the sides of the coil cover thicker. That's where I always bang mine on a rock and crack it.

It may be time for you to visit the bicycle shop and pick up a small used inner tube from their repair person and cut you a protective loop and apply it (stretch) over ur coil and cover. That should stop the cracks.:icon_scratch:

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I always use a cover and I clean it out after every hunt. Along with everything else including my digging tool and shovel. My wife says I have OCD issues. Lol

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XPDEUS comes with and has to have one to charge the coil as the batteries are internal to the coil.
No I have not seen much difference and after years of using machines have never seen a coil without one become unusable...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread