Air test confusion.

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab Excalibur II and a Minelab 800, when air testing the excel can detect a quarter three times the distance fron the coil than the 800 will. On the beach the 800 has signaled small pull tabs 8 inches down in the sand. this is after the upgrade. any idea why on air testing it is so poor? I have not tried both. on the beach over the same object but may be my project today.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab Excalibur II and a Minelab 800, when air testing the excel can detect a quarter three times the distance fron the coil than the 800 will. On the beach the 800 has signaled small pull tabs 8 inches down in the sand. this is after the upgrade. any idea why on air testing it is so poor? I have not tried both. on the beach over the same object but may be my project today.
Went to the salt beach and tried silver and gold. When buried both detectors seemed to be close as to depth for finding silver dime, quarter, and 14K ring. readings a lot closer than the air test, in fact with the 800 I got 2-15 hits one was the ring I knew was there and the other turned out to be a 2oz sinker.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't messed with any newer than...2000? detectors..I have never found the "air test" to be accurate at all, in any way.

Maybe, I misunderstand what your doing. I actually believe that when my dad and I played around years ago, I could get deeper targets in damp soil than in the air with my detector. But that was years ago and I can't remember what we did exactly that we thought this.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about anyone else, I have yet to see any coins or jewelry floating in the air.:laughing7:

It is well known that Minelab BBS AND FBS detectors do not air test well, actual real world performance is a whole different story. Ignore air testing, BBS, FBS and now the new Multi-IQ of the Equinox excels in real world conditions.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Seems to me and I'm no expert by a long shot, just like to dig holes in the ground but air tests don't deal with mineralization or moisture or canslaw above a good target. I believe in setting the machine as best I can for the site I'm on and hoping for the best. Also making adjustments to what I'm hearing.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion, air tests are useful when comparing to earlier air tests to see if a detector has lost performance from an earlier time, or to compare the results from different coils. True, in ground, tests are definitely better to get an idea of the actual performance of a detector in real world conditions.
luvsdux

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Air tests are pretty good for flying coins - unless tried indoors.

Test garden in the soil outdoors is the way to compare.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about anyone else, I have yet to see any coins or jewelry floating in the air.:laughing7:

It is well known that Minelab BBS AND FBS detectors do not air test well, actual real world performance is a whole different story. Ignore air testing, BBS, FBS and now the new Multi-IQ of the Equinox excels in real world conditions.

Yes, what Treasure Hunter said. I believe it was in Andy Sabisch's book about the Safari, (FBS machine) that FBS machines do not do well in AIR test, and so I would think the same would be true for Multi as well. I sometimes use air test for the sound of a target, and a rough idea of a VDI# for same, but as others have said, for depth in the real world of detecting, all bets are off with air testing really, to many other factors involved. You have two really good machines, run with it, and best of luck.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pay absolutely no attention to air tests or targets laying on top of the ground. None at all. Most decent machines will find coins 6-8" down at a beach. I also wouldn't worry about depth as much as discrimination. I'd also try a test garden if you want. My best tests are when several of us are out together and someone finds a target and we get everyone over to see what their machine says. That is a GOOD test. The results can also be very surprising.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F5 and F75 actually air test pretty similar.... I was dissapointed at having paid so much more for the "upgrade" to the F75.....until I hit the field with one detector in each hand. F5 scratchy/ confusing on anything past 5 inches.... F75 clean, clear and stable.

Sold the F5 shortly after.

Air tests just arent worth much.

chub

Voldetector

Sep 21, 2018
TN
Detector(s) used
F75+, NOX600, BHLRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont put much thought into air test, but my minelab 600 will hit a quarter at 15"+ with a solid repeatable signal. Wasnt expecting it to test better than my F75 in boost. At the same time it's just an airtest.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Air testing is great for a baseline for YOUR model. For instance an f75 should see a 10" clad dime on an air test free from EMI. If not then there could be an issue. Other than that not too much worth reading into.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread