Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've posted this before, but will do so again :D

In the early 1980s, Fisher used to have a periodical mailer. One of the sections was a question and answer forum. In one edition, someone had written in to question the editor: "I Am going to Mexico on vacation, is metal detecting allowed there?" (or something to that effect). The answer Fisher gave was titled "When traveling to Mexico, leave the metal detectors at home". The answer went on to detail how metal detecting in Mexico was not allowed.

In the following few editions, people wrote in to the editor to take issue with Fisher's answer. They were saying things like "Since when??" "Who told you this?" etc.... Well Fisher answered the objectors by printing a statement that .... when they had received the earlier question .... they had simply gone to a Mexican consulate/bureaucrat, and asked them! I mean, who better to ask about Mexican laws, than Mexico themselves, right? haha Apparently whomever they asked there, told them "no".

But people who wrote in to object to this answer said that they had detected down in Mexico on the tourist beaches for ages, and never had a problem. In fact, detectors are a common sight on toursit beaches, and there are even detector dealers in all the major cities down there. Even Fisher dealers! Doh!

All I can figure is that .... whomever Fisher had "asked", must have had Shipwreck salvor laws in mind, or national historic sites, or pyramaids, blah blah blah in mind. I mean, what's the easy answer? Just say no. This makes me wonder when I hear, up here, "such & such parks are off-limits", I really wonder if they really are? Or did some newbie just walk up and ask a bored ranger? Know what I mean?

Anyhow, about Mexico, I detected down there on land, with no problem (of course, we didn't go ask 20 questions). We went through the border at Juarez/El Paso, with detectors in full view in our trucks. The border inspector even asked "what are those?", to which my interpretter answered "pasa tiempo" (meaning "hobby" or "past time"). The inspector just shrugged his shoulders and waved us through ;D

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Went to Cancun last fall,carried my detector on the plane,no problem with TSA or customs.Swung it almost everyday for a week no problems had a wonderful time,hope you do the same...Shoot

OP
OP
jernigan00

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Tom for the details. I have always been leary of the "subjective" laws in Mexico. However, I have now heard several people tell me that they have MD'd down there or have seen others doing it without any hassle, so......... it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll post big and clear if I do have any problems for others to be aware.

Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread