detector coils

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basically the larger the coil the deeper it detects. You give up target separation though. Just know that a larger coil has more of a chance of having more than one target in its detecting field. I have 4 coils for my machine. I use the large coil in target sparse sites such as fields. Some places I need better target separation so I go with a smaller coil.

There are 2 basic types of coils. Concentric and DD. The pics below shows how they scan the ground. I prefer DD coils over concentric coils.

Concentric coil
concentric_searchcoil.jpg

DD coil
double_d_searchcoil.jpg

Hope this helped.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You pretty much nailed it Loco. Well Done.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, as a general rule, the smaller coils will be more sensitive to tiny targets than a large diameter coil.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, as a general rule, the smaller coils will be more sensitive to tiny targets than a large diameter coil.

I thought that frequency of the detector has more to do with what you mentioned than coil size. The higher the freq, the smaller the target it can detect is my understanding.

Capture.JPG

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does on gold, plus smaller equals smaller gold

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Both size and frequency play a part in tiny target detection. I didn't mention frequency because the OP was just asking about the effect of size. Concentric and DD design will also slightly effect sensitivity to tiny targets.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to Nel tech or Garrett teck I have the nel attack and the garrett 5x8 you will lose depth on dime size targets absolutely. They are great for quarter and larger and relic hunting

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Talk to Nel tech or Garrett teck I have the nel attack and the garrett 5x8 you will lose depth on dime size targets absolutely. They are great for quarter and larger and relic hunting

My 13" Detech Ultimate coil for AT Pro beeps on a dime with all high tones at 13" in an air test, which is 3" more than stock coil. In ground it can often go deeper than stock coil as well. My 15" Mars Goliath coil air tests with high tones on dime at 12". My NEL Thunder 10.5x14.5 air tests on a dime at 11.5", again better than stock coil. In extremely trashy areas, smaller coils may provide more coins due to separation, despite less depth.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
air tests make no sense you have to account for mineralization ect your coil defies logic Awesome

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if a small coil helps with really small targets like tiny gold flakes. But I can tell you that my Tesoro 11x8 DD has no problem hitting pieces of can slaw the size of an office hole punch.

ink

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you take a 12 inch double D coil into a junkard when searching for a lost class ring ??

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In GENERAL, a concentric coil of the same diameter of a DD coil will penetrate deeper although the deepest part will be much smaller than the deepest edge of the DD. In GENERAL, a larger coil will go deeper but will lose sensitivity to smaller targets and a smaller coil will provide better separation and better sensitivity to smaller targets. Been this way from the git-go and will likely never change. A2, my 8" coil on my safari has no problem with dimes or reales at 10+ inches, I seriously doubt the 8x5 Garrett won't see dimes well, dimes are actually fairly large targets. I have banged silver dimes to 8" with my ATP and 8x5 coil. Depth is often overrated anyways, in forty plus years of hunting many of my coins have come at 8" or less and most at 6" or less.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions