This metal detecting is taking over all my hobbies!!!

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
I'm 57 years old.Last fall 3 days before the ground froze here I went metal detecting for the first time.I found a 1951 Canadian penny.I was hooked!!I since then have upgraded my detector.I spend lots of time researching,asking permission and hunting.I have all but stopped walleye fishing,coyote and fox trapping,hunting deer,elk and antelope.I don't see my girlfriend much anymore either,this might be a good thing.I have a place on a large Missouri River reservoir and haven't been fishing since July,I have to walk across the road I live on to go bird or deer hunting.My Lab and Golden Retriever haven't been grouse hunting yet and the season is 3 weeks old.I'm ready for the program"Hi my name is Bill and I'm a detectoraholic""Hi Bill".My father used to tease me about"What did you find with your wand today"Not anymore.He is impressed with the rings,old coins and clad.We were gassing up the boat one day,going out fishing,to two women we knew at the bait shop he said "Hey I can't get the boy to go fishing anymore all he wants to do is go wave his wand outside"You wouldn't believe the looks he got from them ladies,he then explained what he meant by wand(detector).I hope you won't see me on the Intervention Show.Bill

Upvote 0

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
funny Bill, at least you realize all hope is lost, isn't that the first step, admitting you have a problem. carry on. Thompy

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i understand,my wife keeps saying the yard looks worse and worse in the past few years(got my md two years ago) :P

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Not to worry. You will come back around to fishing and hunting. It probably will take a good year but you will come back. I've gone fishing a lot less the last couple years but lately have been doing a little more.

Bob

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
hey, you're still fishin' COIN FISHING!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
It's an addiction for sure. No matter what you are doing, at least your not sitting in front of the TV.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fish a couple times a week, living in Florida with both lakes and oceans, sometimes it's salt water, sometimes its fresh water, sometimes it's just dirt. My last big catch was the man's diamond ring my wife wears on her index finger. ;D

In other words, I bought my fresh and salt water license last year and never put a line in the water. It expired last month. :o

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
Hi Kickback!

I also have the same disease..."detectoritis." ;D I use to be a fishing fanatic...I tied flies, built rods, made lures, and would be fishing all time. Still have 2 boats, 2 float tubes, and about a dozen rods I built. I think I only fished about 4 times in the last 2 years and haven't even put the boat in the water. Now I use my rubber chest waders and rain gear to detect in the pouring rain. Doctors still have not found a cure for "detectoritis." :D

Tom

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right on! I warn any beginner or would be that the hobby can be VERY ADDICTING.
Have fun and dig deep.
Bill

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I actually went out and brought my seasonal fishing license this year as usual. Not sure why. I went out once, caught a couple Largemouths and that was it. This is one freaking addictive hobby, no question about it.

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
I used to drive all over the country buying antiques and collectibles at auctions/yardsales and flea markets.Now I just dig up the planet.This hobby is totally freakin' addictive as noted .This is my 4th year and I rarely miss a weekend dig and usually find time during the weekdays for a quick hunt or two.I suspect I;ll go down swingin'.God Bless and HH...Panz

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 detectors later...yes it is very addicting and it is worse when you cant get out as often as you would like......
work interfers with my hobby...Hey maybe i/we can claim it as an addiction and get some federal money to help pay our bills and we can say that we cant work because detecting is our crack!!!!!! ::)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure it is addictive, and that is what makes it fun. I might fly fish for bluegills in the spring, but that is about it. I still have many rifles and pistols, but don't hunt what I won't eat anymore. Women used to be a lot of fun, but now I just wave my wand over the rings on their hands.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your on to something there Teverly...."sorry, I'm disabled, cant stop detecting". get money to go do what we cant stop doing....Hmmmm.
Al

OP
OP
K

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
Sandman I'm envious of your beach and water hunting.I went to school in Florida,had a house in Melbourne beach on the beach.I used to watch one of Mel Fishers boats work the edge of a coquina rock reef about 800 yds south of the house and just outside the surf break.People use to find old spanish silver coins while walking on the beach after bad storms.I just wasn't interested in detecting then.Now I have one small beach to detect.It did give up a real nice silver ring with 2 stones and a bunch of old silver dimes,quarters,old nickels and wheaties.My brother bought the house on the beach so I'm going to go back there and hunt the beach one of these days.Any suggestions on a good water machine?Bill

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it takes is one coin or CW bullet and its all over .I got out of the hobby for several years but I still looked at places and thought man, that would be a great place to detect. Now I am happy just getting out even when I come home with no keepers . :) If you love history then this hobby is truly a rush.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread