What is this old hand made gilt ring?

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this last year. My best guess is that it is from an old carriage and was used to hold the reins for the horses in position. It is gilt brass and appears to be hand made...there are tool marks all around the bottom square.
The gold is very thick. Anyone have any ideas? It could be as old as the 1700's...

20181002_110546.jpg

20181002_112246.jpg

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOUR INSTINCTS ARE GOOD, IT LOOKS LIKE A REIGNS GUIDE BUT i'VE NEVER SEEN ONE WITH SUCH A WIDE OPENING THEY ARE USUALLY CLOSED RINGS. i'VE ALSO NEVER SEEN ONE SO SHINY. WAS IT IN THE DIRT? hOW DID YOU CLEAN IT UP? ALL MINE LOOK WAY MORE HAGGARED

OP
OP
C

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, all I did was wash it with water. Everything yellow is gold, not brass. The brass is green. I was also confused that the opening is so wide. It is from the site of a very old church, so maybe it is from something that was in the church. Like a railing. That might explain the gold. But the wear pattern on the gilt could be from reins...it is concentrated on the one side of the ring.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if that screwed into a church pew for one of those red ropes to hook to for reserving a pew.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find.Congrats :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread