Detecting Bermuda

signguy

Oct 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning,
My name is Jason, I was a member on this site about 15 years ago doing coin roll hunting but life got in the way so i'm back for a bit. I have not metal detected in a long time but I am heading to Bermuda on a cruise at the end of this month and plan on bringing my Garret Ace 250. Any suggestions, hints, and any one detected there before with any luck.

Thank You,
Jason

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Welcome back to T Net! I’m assuming your just gonna be hunting the dry sand. I took an Ace 250 down to Playa Del Carmen and could not get into the wet sand or water at all, 250 was going crazy. I’ll never pack the 250 on a trip again. I like to be able to hunt all three areas of the beach if I choose.

Army

Sep 3, 2018
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
I have not done metal detecting since 1995 but at that time I had a Fisher underwater metal detector.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think I read something here that metal detecting in Bermuda is illegal.

Army

Sep 3, 2018
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
I have not done metal detecting since 1995 but at that time I had a Fisher underwater metal detector.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just found this:
The 'Rules' for metal detecting in Bermuda are as follows:

1) technically you need to get a liscence from the Agricultural Dept. which states where and when you will be hunting, this costs nothing and most detectorists locally and certainly visiting detectorists don't do this, the fee is $0.00 so go figure
2) the parks dept. and lifeguards will ask you to leave major tourist beaches between the hours of 11 am and 6 pm from April to October, but they will only do this sometimes, be polite and no worries
3) show respect for others by filling your holes, not hunting old historic forts or cemeteries just the same as if you were stateside, it's just common courtesy
4) some beaches are private which means that the access to them is private but anything below the high tide mark is considered Queen's Bottom or public domain, mention that term and most people will leave you alone as it is the law, getting to them without trespassing is of course the problem
5) always be courteous and polite and you will go far in a country that prides itself on it's civility. Good Morning and Good Afternoon are a very good start and will identify you as a civilized person to the local populous
6) you may be asked to pay duty when bringing something like a metal detector into the country (there are no taxes here so the government must generate income somehow), coming by cruiseship it shouldn't be a problem but if the customs officer asks for duty suggest an exemption for the length of your stay and give a highly depreciated value as you may still be asked to pay 33% duty. Remember that one good ring will negate the duty and then some

You might also try:

www.gov.bm Find Ministry of parks and send them an email
Bermuda Laws Online Bermuda's laws. Has a search capability

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread