Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: What is your favorite detector and why?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon & Compadre
    1222 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What is your favorite detector and why?

There is no wrong answer here.....i didnt ask which detector you thought was the "best". I just wnat to know what your favorite machine of all time is and why? I'll go first:

I have had a bunch of machines that i really liked, but if i only could have one there is no doubt it would be my Tesoro Tejon. It just fits me like a pair of old shoes. The Tejon is a machine that you have to "learn to like". You wont love it the first day unless maybe you have a lot of Tesoro experience. I have 3 coils for the Tejon: the 9x8 concentric handles most general detecting in mild to moderate trash, in trashy areas i use the 5.75" concentric, and for a lot of my field/relic hunting i use the 11x8dd coil. The tejon is not a featherweight but is far from heavy and is not an arm killer. Even with a larger coil it balances quite well with the batteries being located under your arm. I am first and foremost a relic hunter and this is where the Tejon shines, however it does just fine in an old park looking for deep coins also. With hours of use and a trained ear you can call coins just like your buddy with the machine that has a screen with vdi numbers. The Tejon has good ergonomics, great depth, i like the features it has and i wouldnt trade it for any detector made today if i couldnt buy another Tejon......
    Kace, devldog and HighVDI like this.
    Direct descendant of:
    Ezekiel Lamb 13th VA Inf. Co F, CSA
    Robert Wyant 33rd VA Inf. Co F, CSA
    Thornton Dean 10th VA Inf. Co I, CSA

Oct 2018
    20 times
    First off good post. I feel it's not the best most expensive machine that will help you. It's the best machine for the soil conditions and what sounds and feels best. My favorite machine is my Minelab Safari. I too mostly relic hunt around Savannah GA. I learned multi frequency works best in the highly mineralized Marsh lands and beach. I got a mix of old history and tourism here. My backup is the T2 SE and it collects dust. I can't get rid of it because in some conditions it functions better than the Minelab in depth mostly very dry conditions.
    DiggerinVA, Kace and devldog like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    some where in the great state of Texas
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    10311 times
    hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    i like my new Teknetics eurotek pro its light weight,has iron audio,great unmasking,and volume control.
    RTR, bmcouni3, DiggerinVA and 3 others like this.

us
    Dennis

Dec 2014
    MA
    Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
    464 times
    I think right now the Equinox 800 is top notch,being able to work salt water beaches, parks, farm fields and water proof.
    I like the wireless headphones, bluetooth works great
    dennis
    Dennis Gareau
    Managing Director
    MetalDetectors.com
    dgareau@metaldetectors.com
    866-749-9506

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19723 times
    Metal Detecting
    My favorite metal detector ever, is the Tesoro Vaquero. It has been the most underrated detector on the market for 20-years, and has probably found more real treasure than any other machine I ever owned.

RTR
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20
    6280 times
    With the advancements in electronics and light weight materials(w/in the last 5 years).. arnt they all good

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    137 times
    This is a "tweener" for me (between the V3i and the MX5) but I think I'll have to say the MX5.

I like the weight, the speed, and the depth. I leave the Spider coil (concentric) on it because I like the way that coil works - and it pinpoints extremely well. I understand the language it speaks and I still find myself grabbing it more often than my other machines.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    1694 times
    Metal Detecting
    My sentimental favorite is the White's 6/DB...my first "good" machine. $350 was a LOTTA money in 1980, but she paid for herself 10x over in silver within the first 6 months. 😁
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13205 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    I currently like my XP Deus the best. It sucks stuff out of heavily hunted sites. My machine that has found the BEST items however, is my Tesoro Cibola.
    DiggerinVA, Kace, devldog and 3 others like this.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    4806 times
    99 Gold rings, 230 Silver FTY
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Have to say the Minelab Excalibur for me, 10 inch coil, PP to Discriminate toggle on the handle with some good custom headphones, over and under carbon fiber shaft. I do hate using stock machines, use to repair them and would always water test before returning, 15 minutes out was torture.
    Closing in on 500 Gold rings in 5 Years...All Excalibur except one..
    Kace, devldog, DiggerinVA and 6 others like this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2830 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    I've always used Whites...and love my DFX, but I Really Like the AT MAX too.. Different than the DFX, but I'm getting more and more used to it.

I'm not the type to change machines (or anything) often if I really like it. Heck, I used a Radio Shack..My first Detector for probably 3-4yrs and it was a lot of fun and found a lot of coins.

Kace
    OBN, devldog, DiggerinVA and 2 others like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon & Compadre
    1222 times
    This thread is showing exactly what I suspected....that people can be happy and successful with a wide variety of makes and models, and not necessarily the newest and most expensive. I also know that the style of detecting you do will definitely make a difference in your choice:. A beach Hunter is not going to like my Tejon, as a relic Hunter here is probably not going to use an Excal. Great posts guys, keep em coming!
    bmcouni3, Kace, RustyGold and 1 others like this.
    Direct descendant of:
    Ezekiel Lamb 13th VA Inf. Co F, CSA
    Robert Wyant 33rd VA Inf. Co F, CSA
    Thornton Dean 10th VA Inf. Co I, CSA

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27771 times
    First must be Excals since I own 4, followed by CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Sovereign GT, ETrac then Safari, all subject to change.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600 Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Conquistador Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2879 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have 3 favorites. Each for different types of hunting.

EQ 800 for park/yard hunting for silver
    Tesoro Tejon with 5.75 concentric for the iron pits
    Fisher F75 for farm fields.
    bmcouni3, DiggerinVA, Kace and 1 others like this.
    If it's not there you won't find it.......

If it is there you NEED to find it!......

us
    Aug 2018
    Placerville CA
    Minelab Equinox 600
    44 times
    I really like my Equinox 600. It works well in our mineralized soil. It’s light and comfortable. I love the multiple frequencies. It finds stuff really well. I also love how versatile it is....it works well everywhere. I also prefer DD coils.
    bmcouni3, DiggerinVA, Kace and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links