Other
if the object is small it makes it easier

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Much Easier!

Kace

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you need a pin pointer if the detector has a pin point mode?

you will be ten time more efficient once opening up the hole. Pin pointer is generally for finding object after digging plug.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would have to dig a very large plug if you were a little off when you pinpoint with a detector to get your coil on the side of the hole.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found my invaluable, I REALLY try to pin point as accurately as I can but many times the target is in the sidewalls are the depth indicator was off, like D and D said, it's like a shovel, got to have it!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may dig the plug but still cannot see the find. Many of the finds/coins take on a dirt appearance and the hand held pin pointer will put you directly on that little dirt looking clod and you will pick it up and start to shout about the great item you just found. Many times I have put the item in my hand and had to rub the crust off to determine that it was something valuable. The pin pointer is a very necessary tool in my book.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They help to Id those small 22 bullets & their 'Short' casings & small Iron that ( I just got to know what was giving me a signal). + it's a tad easier than running handfuls of dirt over your coil .

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They aren't a necessity, I hunted my 1st 6 months without one, but it sure does speed up your target recovery time. As stated above by D-n-D, I won't hunt without one now.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Loco said, it speeds up your recovery time. If I'm in a park loaded with pulltabs and I decide to dig every pulltab, I can do so with the pinpointer in no time. That reduces my recovery time and eventually a Gold ring will surface because I'm removing every pulltab. Keep in mind if you come onto a site loaded with these buggers, that also means that everyone else left them and they are hiding the Gold!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought on this is your main machine pin point is like a road map, it puts you on the proper street and your hand held puts you to the front door of the house.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, it helps me find trash faster.

Sounds silly, but it really helps me last longer before i get frustrated digging all the trash to a single coin.

I borrowed a pinpointer to use for a few hours one evening, and the next day drove 120 miles to get one that was overpriced.

Never be withough one again

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Mainly, it's the fact that you aren't grabbing handfuls of dirt to wave at your coil. There are bad things in holes sometimes times, razorblades, even medical syringes.

When you see the time you are saving with a handheld pinpointer, they just make sense. Targets can fly to the side of a dig, happens a lot. By the time you pick up your machine a couple times, you could have located another good signal. Add in elements such as hot or cold weather, plus any time constraint for the hunt, a pinpointer is indispensable.

A small silver dime, in a dirt clod about the same size, can wreck someone's patience level, who wants to wave dirt at a coil. jmho

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions