Wanting to get back in to metal detecting / advice please.

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sold my F75 LTD and Tesoro Vaquero and now I have the bug again. It's been a few years since I stop hunting and now that I got the bug again, I would like to try another machine.
I've been reading as much as I can on different ones that might fit me. I know there is no perfect machine , but I'm trying to decide on a new one. I like hunting woods around old home sites and fields for relics.
I was thinking about the Garrett AT Max, Minelab Equinox 800 or the Makro Kruzer.
Trying to decide is tough as always on a machine, because they make a lot of nice ones.
I like the Garrett AT Max because it seems very versatile and simple and I would like to try some water hunts on occasions. I've always wanted to try a Minelab and the Equinox 800 seems like a great machine that fits my needs too. What concerns me about the Nox 800 is where people say down load the new firmware and others say don't. I'm not sure if that machine is really ready yet?
The Makro Kruzer seems to be very new too and I'm not sure if the bugs are worked out on that machine yet.
I know everyone has their favorites, but I would appreciate any of your thoughts on the machines I mentioned.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT max not so good in salt water. Where are you hunting?

chub

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I really, really like the Max..I've never used it in saltwater...I wanted it for freshwater. I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

Kace

OP
OP
A

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m not ready to pull the trigger just yet , but I’m leaning toward the Nox 800.
Any replies would be appreciated.
Thanks

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as everyone has an opinion I will throw mine out there...I like the AT series, I love my PRO, just got the MAX and it hasn't disappointed. Before I got the MAX I was thinking about the NOX 800 but frankly the ease of the MAX won me over.

vpierceiii

Aug 2, 2018
Placerville CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a nox and love it. The multi frequency makes it a very versatile machine. And I love switching from multi frequency to 10k hz to see if the signal is a bottle cap or not. Saves me a lot of digging. The nox is very user friendly and easy to learn. The button lay out is very good for accessing functions on the fly. I love the back light. It’s light and comfortable too. I really like just switching from mode to mode instead of having to adjust a myriad of setting for every new terrain. Very quick and easy. Recovery time can’t be beat IMHO. And it achieve great depth. It performs really well in mineralized soil too. I just love it.

OP
OP
A

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a nox and love it. The multi frequency makes it a very versatile machine. And I love switching from multi frequency to 10k hz to see if the signal is a bottle cap or not. Saves me a lot of digging. The nox is very user friendly and easy to learn. The button lay out is very good for accessing functions on the fly. I love the back light. It’s light and comfortable too. I really like just switching from mode to mode instead of having to adjust a myriad of setting for every new terrain. Very quick and easy. Recovery time can’t be beat IMHO. And it achieve great depth. It performs really well in mineralized soil too. I just love it.
Thanks, sounds like what I’m looking for.

vpierceiii

Aug 2, 2018
Placerville CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem. I was in your shoes not to long ago. And I had every intention of buying the AT Gold. I had read great reviews, people on this forum really liked them and it seemed to perform really well for those guys on Diggers. And I was already apprehensive about learning a new machine....all my previous machines were fishers. But my friend who loves Minelab suggested I at least look into them although I was sure I couldn’t afford one. Then I discovered the Nox and really liked what I read. And the fact that it uses five frequencies at once really impressed me. The reviews seemed good and I new minelab has one of the best reputations in the industry. Also the price for what you get is phenomenal. So I took the plunge and boy am I glad I did. The learning curve wasn’t bad at all and I’ve found wheats at 11 inches which really blew me away. I don’t think you’d regret buying one.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both an 800 and 600. You can tweak the tones on the 800 to hunt any way you want! I've been hitting the hunted hard spots and the thing flat sucks coins out of the earth. I also had and got another f75. The EQ will smoke it in the trashy parks/yards.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sold my AT Pro I owned for 3 years to buy the Nox 800. Loved the AT Pro. darn good dependable detector in my opinion. Got the 800 in March 2018. Whoa, what a learning curve for me. Because of the complex features? No because of me. I thought I really knew a lot about metal detecting and the 800 showed me I did not. You must know your stuff to effectively get the most out of the 800. Now I feel very comfortable with it. In the beginning the 800 frustrated me to no end because I did not realize how powerful the machine was. Now very happy with my 800 and very confident in its and my ability to find good things under the coil. Thanks to a lot of helpful people on this forum especially vferrari. He can make the complex understandable.

OP
OP
A

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your experience and opinions.
I guess I should expect I’ll need some time and help on the Nox to learn it.
Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread