Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: The crazy reason I started MDing...how ‘bout you?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2018
    Placerville CA
    Minelab Equinox 600
    44 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

The crazy reason I started MDing...how ‘bout you?

A few years back I inherited a diamond necklace from my gma. It is a 1.5 karat near perfect diamond on a gold chain. My grandparents were jewelers. It appraised for $8k. Anyway my wife forgot to take it off before going to work. So she put it in a tissue in her purse. The next morning she wasn’t thinking when she found the “used” tissue in her purse....yeah, you know where this is going, don’t you? Anyway it got flushed down the toilet.
    Needless to say (I’m going to say it anyway) I was pissed.
    Fortunately though we are on a septic system and not city sewer. So I stopped everything....forbid my family to poop....and drove 2 hours to Cabela’s where I bought a Fisher F4. I came home dug up the septic tank lid and opened her up. I wrapped the coil and shaft in a heavy duty trash bag and went to work. Ugh. Anyway I detected the necklace in about 20 seconds. So I took an old rake and modded it and fished for gold in my terd-farm. FIVE HOURS later, just before giving up, I snagged the necklace!!!
    So I cleaned everything up except the rake which I just dried off and gave to a neighbor I didn’t like.
    So after all, some good came out of this: I discover and removed a root ball that was about to clog things up, my wife no longer wants to wear the “poop necklace” , I got back at a jerk neighbor that now thinks I’m a nice guy AND I discovered an awesome new hobby!!!
    So what’s your story?

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    some where in the great state of Texas
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    10310 times
    hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    i got one for christmas a few years back went in my front yard and started to find change. Then i went to a old spot by the creek and found a horse shoe and the rest is history from there
    A2coins, Wrightdigger and gunsil like this.

us
    Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Bounty Hunter QD2
    638 times
    Metal Detecting
    Bought one for 40 bucks at a pawn shop because I was interested in detecting. Didn't really catch the bug and sorta forgot about the machine. 2 years later, my wife lost her very expensive wedding ring (for which I worked my ass off) and I brought out the detector to see if I could find it. No luck. However, I found so much cool stuff in my own yard I became a metal detecting junkie overnight lol.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2201 times
    I always looked in the ground for old stuff. I did a lot of gardening for my mother and her friends as a child and living in a very early settled area I would find indian head pennies, early handmade marbles, a large cent and other relics. As I became a teen I found a huge old bottle dump in the woods and excavated it for four summers and made more money selling antique bottles than I could shoveling snow and mowing lawns. I started collecting civil war items at 13 and when 22 in 1970 I went to a civil war show in VA and saw my first metal detector but did not buy one. I couldn't sleep for days thinking about metal detectors and drove all the way back to Richmond, VA from NY to see the guy who had them at that show and bought a brand new Garrett Master Hunter BFO. After a month or so of hunting I went back to Richmond and bought another for my girlfriend. Hunting was fantastic, all schools, churches, and parks were virgin ground and we found plenty with those early beep and dig machines. Permission was easy to get then also and few folks cared what we were doing, many thought it was cool and let us hunt their colonial era lawns and woods. 48 years later I still love listening to the ground and seeing what the next target is.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    11906 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    What if you find out where the toilet pipe dumps into the whatever or where ever I would assume it would be under the outlet laying there, Get something heavy with a gps tracker cell phone is to big lol ok yes I get carried away like that diamond,
    gold boy and Wrightdigger like this.
    Approved TreasureNet Bumper Stickers And Detector Stickers
    .:: $5.00 (Free Shipping) ::. $2.50 for small "1 x "4

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Aug 2018
    Placerville CA
    Minelab Equinox 600
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    I always looked in the ground for old stuff. I did a lot of gardening for my mother and her friends as a child and living in a very early settled area I would find indian head pennies, early handmade marbles, a large cent and other relics. As I became a teen I found a huge old bottle dump in the woods and excavated it for four summers and made more money selling antique bottles than I could shoveling snow and mowing lawns. I started collecting civil war items at 13 and when 22 in 1970 I went to a civil war show in VA and saw my first metal detector but did not buy one. I couldn't sleep for days thinking about metal detectors and drove all the way back to Richmond, VA from NY to see the guy who had them at that show and bought a brand new Garrett Master Hunter BFO. After a month or so of hunting I went back to Richmond and bought another for my girlfriend. Hunting was fantastic, all schools, churches, and parks were virgin ground and we found plenty with those early beep and dig machines. Permission was easy to get then also and few folks cared what we were doing, many thought it was cool and let us hunt their colonial era lawns and woods. 48 years later I still love listening to the ground and seeing what the next target is.
    Isn’t it amazing how things have changed? I grew up in the 70s and life was safe and care-free. It seems like people were a lot nicer too....or at least a lot less stressed out.
    gold boy and gunsil like this.

us
    Oct 2006
    2406 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    get away from the wife.
    gold boy and gunsil like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    STATEN ISLAND NY
    ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
    319 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by vpierceiii View Post
    A few years back I inherited a diamond necklace from my gma. It is a 1.5 karat near perfect diamond on a gold chain. My grandparents were jewelers. It appraised for $8k. Anyway my wife forgot to take it off before going to work. So she put it in a tissue in her purse. The next morning she wasn’t thinking when she found the “used” tissue in her purse....yeah, you know where this is going, don’t you? Anyway it got flushed down the toilet.
    Needless to say (I’m going to say it anyway) I was pissed.
    Fortunately though we are on a septic system and not city sewer. So I stopped everything....forbid my family to poop....and drove 2 hours to Cabela’s where I bought a Fisher F4. I came home dug up the septic tank lid and opened her up. I wrapped the coil and shaft in a heavy duty trash bag and went to work. Ugh. Anyway I detected the necklace in about 20 seconds. So I took an old rake and modded it and fished for gold in my terd-farm. FIVE HOURS later, just before giving up, I snagged the necklace!!!
    So I cleaned everything up except the rake which I just dried off and gave to a neighbor I didn’t like.
    So after all, some good came out of this: I discover and removed a root ball that was about to clog things up, my wife no longer wants to wear the “poop necklace” , I got back at a jerk neighbor that now thinks I’m a nice guy AND I discovered an awesome new hobby!!!
    So what’s your story?
    You win ! That's a hard to beat story .
    gold boy and vpierceiii like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    2992 times
    I spent most of my childhood on the Island of Guam. My friends and i used to explore old Japanese Caves, root around in fox holes and generally hunt for treasures left behind by American and Japanese soldiers. For me, a metal detector was the only logical choice in feeding my obsession with unearthing history.
    gold boy, gunsil and sprailroad like this.
    Dig till you drop!

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    3538 times
    I went to school in one of the last one room school houses in California and lived three houses away so it was my playground and on the weekends when I would be over there playing on the playground equipment, people would show up to detect the school grounds.That was my first introduction to detecting and I got the bug by seeing what the people were finding.
    back of the boat

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3152 times
    I’ve been a scavenger forever, now I have a way to do it and be accepted

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, ProFind-35 pinpointer, AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Equinox 6" coil. Garrett Carrot
    352 times
    Relic Hunting
    Always wanted one. started going gold panning in North Georgia mountains with my two boys back then 8 and 15. Was just the excuse to give to my wife that we must have the fisher gold bug to find gold nuggets. Had one off and on since then.
    Still even today I have to justify a new detector to my wife. Some things never change.
    gold boy and vpierceiii like this.

us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    2171 times
    My father loved electronic stuff. He bought a metal detector kit from Heathkit or Lafayette Radio Electronics. I think it was Lafayette. Anyway, dad and I soldered it all up and took it out for a spin. Was pretty cool at the time. Later in life I remembered the metal detector kit and started looking on the net for a detector. Bought an Ace 250 and have been detecting on and off since then. Can't wait to retire so I can really do some detecting!
    gold boy and Back-of-the-boat like this.

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

Jul 2005
    Iowa
    White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT Fisher 1280x
    68 times
    In 1975 I picked up a treasure hunting magazine at a book store.After reading through it,I ordered my first detector,a Whites Gold Master,from the Sears catalog.What a hobby-passion it has been!

us
    Sep 2018
    Nazareth, PA
    Garrett 250
    130 times
    Used to detect when I was like 7 with my grand father. Just recently got back into it.
    gold boy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links