Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree22Likes
  • 2 Post By Woodsy
  • 3 Post By Nick79
  • 1 Post By Back-of-the-boat
  • 1 Post By Woodsy
  • 2 Post By cudamark
  • 2 Post By A#1
  • 1 Post By Patriot 1776
  • 4 Post By Charlie P. (NY)
  • 1 Post By HighVDI
  • 1 Post By puja joshi
  • 2 Post By Woodsy
  • 1 Post By DeepseekerADS
  • 1 Post By Woodsy

Thread: Best metal detector for forest and field hunting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    26 times
    Metal Detecting

Best metal detector for forest and field hunting?

Hi folks, I have been away from the hobby for a while since my metal detector was stolen from my storage garage a few years back during a move. Today I have been reading the forums and started to get an inch to squeeze in some hunts before the ground freezes here in michigan.

I jumped the gun, and ordered a tesoro mojave off amazon, but I think I may have made a mistake. Although I will be hunting some campgrounds, I will also be hunting in the woods and fields where heavy grass and leaves may pose a proplem.

So what is your guyses take on a metal detector that performs well in these types of areas?

us
    Just dig it

Jan 2018
    California
    Garrett Ace 350, Harbor Frieght
    662 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That will work, I use a crappy Ace 350. 90% of the battle is just putting a coil over the target. Are there better? Yup! But you gotta weigh the cost. I want a whites mx sport when I have some spending cash but that's not looking too good right now hahaha

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    3538 times
    I don't think the detector will matter as much as the size of your coil.A smaller coil will move through the tall grass easier.
    Woodsy likes this.
    back of the boat

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    26 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-of-the-boat View Post
    I don't think the detector will matter as much as the size of your coil.A smaller coil will move through the tall grass easier.
    That's a good point I didn't think of. My first detector was a garrett treasure ace 100. Although it was a fun little coin machine, the depth was terrible, so it didn't really do well in grassy/wooded areas.
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5561 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Hi folks, I have been away from the hobby for a while since my metal detector was stolen from my storage garage a few years back during a move. Today I have been reading the forums and started to get an inch to squeeze in some hunts before the ground freezes here in michigan.

I jumped the gun, and ordered a tesoro mojave off amazon, but I think I may have made a mistake. Although I will be hunting some campgrounds, I will also be hunting in the woods and fields where heavy grass and leaves may pose a proplem.

So what is your guyses take on a metal detector that performs well in these types of areas?
    What is your budget? The best bang for the buck right now is the Minelab Equinox.
    Jim Hemmingway and Woodsy like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby
    148 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    I use a Minelab Equinox 600 for practically the same thing, in roughly the same place. Before that it was a Whites Eagle Spectrum.

In my opinion, a smaller coil could help, with getting between the undergeowth. Lilac, fern, sweetfern, blueberry, that sort of thing.

And something with good iron rejection. Been thrilled with the Equinox for that. Seriously cut down on the amount of crap I gotta dig.
    Woodsy and tesoroMex like this.

us
    Dennis

Dec 2014
    MA
    Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
    464 times
    I do a lot of woods and Farm Fields all of your Garrett are durable and work well.
    Again there are a lot of great Detectors for that use
    Location and research , Dont forget
    Happy Treasure Hunting
    Woodsy likes this.
    Dennis Gareau
    Managing Director
    MetalDetectors.com
    dgareau@metaldetectors.com
    866-749-9506

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9667 times
    Metal Detecting
    Don't despair. You'll find things with the Mojave if you stick with it. Tesoro makes good units that are simple to operate.

Take a nickel coin with you and set the discrimination so that it just gives a solid signal when setting on the ground you are hunting. That will help get you past most junk.

Unless you want to dig old iron relics - then set no at all. And dig it all until you get to know your detector. The price you pay for gold and jewelry is trash finds.

The 7" coil isn't bad for poking in between trees, shrubs and brush.

Campgrounds can be a real horror-story of bottle caps (steel and aluminum) and pull-tabs, foil, cans and all the worst of what gets in the way of detecting. But they also have lots of goodies.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Oct 29, 2018 at 04:26 PM.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    26 times
    Metal Detecting
    Update: the mojave arrived today. After poking around the front yard a bit, I found a 50s wheat penny. I then headed to a nearby camping park. After digging about a dozen pull tabs I cranked up the discrimination as far as it would go. During the duration of a couple hours I accumulated about a $1.50 in clad coins. The depth ranged was about 2 to 4 inches. The oldest coin was a 1967 quarter.

All in all I was a little disappointed when I saw how small of a detector the mojave is. So far, I thought it worked pretty well and I'm going to head back out tomorrow. I will say that I think my treasure ace 100 had better discrimination and I liked the more meaty size of it, also running on two 9 volts. I did order a used tejon on ebay, and if the guy gets around to shipping it, I'm being hopeful that I will gain some more power. Other then that, I don't know yet. I'm hoping tomorrow I will like the mojave better.
    Last edited by Woodsy; Oct 29, 2018 at 08:33 PM.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600 Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Conquistador Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2879 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you do try that Tejon please give it more than one outing to form an opinion on it!

Those units are super capable but they take hours and hours of use to understand.
    Woodsy likes this.
    If it's not there you won't find it.......

If it is there you NEED to find it!......

in
    Sep 2018
    India
    Garrett Ace 400
    7 times
    I think "Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer" is the best metal detector. The best part about this metal detector is it can be used in both water and ground. There are many useful features available in this detector and it is a good choice in that price range. The weight of this metal detector is just 183 grams. Aut off mode is a special feature. 10 feet deep penetration. This detector will start beeping when you put it aside without switching it off.
    Woodsy likes this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    26 times
    Metal Detecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181103_200644.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	1648760

Update: the Tejon arrived on Wednesday. I spent a lot of time cleaning it up for the field, it's an older detector, but it's working pretty good. So I guess between the two, its treasure time!

Name:	20181103_200601.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	1648761

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    26 times
    Metal Detecting

Name:	20181103_211300.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	1648792

I almost forgot. One of my first runs through the woods with the Tejon, brought up this little goodie.
    DeepseekerADS and DiggerinVA like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15238 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I like my Tejon. I often use it instead of my CTX just because of the Tejon's capabilities and simplicity. I dig a lot more targets than with the CTX, mostly because the CTX has me thinking and analyzing too much!

Edit: Of course I dig a lot more trash with the Tejon.....
    Woodsy likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    26 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I like my Tejon. I often use it instead of my CTX just because of the Tejon's capabilities and simplicity. I dig a lot more targets than with the CTX, mostly because the CTX has me thinking and analyzing too much!

Edit: Of course I dig a lot more trash with the Tejon.....
    I agree. So far, I think the Mojave is a bad a** little detector, but I'm learning that the Tejon is just the cat's a**!
    Last edited by Woodsy; Nov 03, 2018 at 09:42 PM.
    Slowtaknow likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links