Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1. People are pigs. I've seen human feces in parks, bottles, wrappers, and other junk 4 feet from a garbage can, needles, and syringes, and just about everything else.

#2. This hobby is awesome! You might think you know what's under your coil but sometimes you're amazed at what you find!

#3. People stop to talk to you and either give you permission to hunt their property or give you history on the town and suggest where to hunt. I've only run across one woman who was mad at me for digging in a public spot. All others ask me what I found and seem very interested in metal detecting.

#4. The people on this forum are awesome! And they are very knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge.

#5. Local history!

#6. Reading old maps and where to find them.

What have you learned in this hobby?

Upvote 0

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

randywa

Sep 29, 2017
S.W. Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've learned my detector believes there are tons of missing silver dollars, most are where I'm hunting, and that they look just like aluminium foil. I also learned that sometimes the best find comes when you do the after find research. I never really cared about local history before.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've learned my detector believes there are tons of missing silver dollars, most are where I'm hunting, and that they look just like aluminium foil. I also learned that sometimes the best find comes when you do the after find research. I never really cared about local history before.

What your “detector believes” is too funny!:laughing7:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My detector must belong to the same church as yours as it, too, believes the places I am searching are littered with Morgan dollars, most of which look like foil or cadmium plated siding nails.

Like you said, I have never really taken an interest in local history until I returned to detecting. Now I'll spend a few hours doing research on an area before I head out to search. As I mentioned in another post, I have a permission in Hillsborough, NC (a colonial capital) and have been pouring over old maps, deeds, and other property records about the properties. I have seen in old aerial photographs (1940) that there are several clearly defined circular places on two of the properties that suggest old dump sites. That may make my hunting trips become more like archaeological digs than plain metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread