Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Things I learned metal detecting...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    2171 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Things I learned metal detecting...

#1. People are pigs. I've seen human feces in parks, bottles, wrappers, and other junk 4 feet from a garbage can, needles, and syringes, and just about everything else.

#2. This hobby is awesome! You might think you know what's under your coil but sometimes you're amazed at what you find!

#3. People stop to talk to you and either give you permission to hunt their property or give you history on the town and suggest where to hunt. I've only run across one woman who was mad at me for digging in a public spot. All others ask me what I found and seem very interested in metal detecting.

#4. The people on this forum are awesome! And they are very knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge.

#5. Local history!

#6. Reading old maps and where to find them.

What have you learned in this hobby?

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    some where in the great state of Texas
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    10312 times
    hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyme View Post
    #1. People are pigs. I've seen human feces in parks, bottles, wrappers, and other junk 4 feet from a garbage can, needles, and syringes, and just about everything else.

#2. This hobby is awesome! You might think you know what's under your coil but sometimes you're amazed at what you find!

#3. People stop to talk to you and either give you permission to hunt their property or give you history on the town and suggest where to hunt. I've only run across one woman who was mad at me for digging in a public spot. All others ask me what I found and seem very interested in metal detecting.

#4. The people on this forum are awesome! And they are very knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge.

#5. Local history!

1. When in the woods during summer and spring watch were you kneel or sit.
    2. This is a great hobby it never ceases to amaze me what i dig up.
    3. Always carry a pistol or knife.
    4. Don't fight the bears Name:  a1a8bfb9e0b037db4a8216ef63819b3d.gif
Views: 340
Size:  1.27 MB

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    3298 times
    I have learned that any coin,bottle,button,or jewelry dug up by me is far more interesting and cool than the exact non dug match......and that would seem to be the opposite for those who have never dug anything up themselves.Those folks just do t get it....but it's true.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    3298 times
    Oh...and stay far away from poison ivy

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    some where in the great state of Texas
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    10312 times
    hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by villagenut View Post
    Oh...and stay far away from poison ivy
    that is one of the golden rules

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    388 times

#5. Local history!

and since you did'nt mention it. i want to reiterate. in my years of metal detecting i still am baffled as to why people have to pull off the pop tops off of cans ? in the olden days when there was pull tabs. yes you had to pull it off to get at the goods. i just conclude there must be lots and i reiterate lots of sexually frustrated people out there ? can i get a ? uh huh ?
    SD51, gold boy, Whyme and 4 others like this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600 Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Conquistador Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2879 times
    Metal Detecting
    1. This hobby takes lots of time and effort to be successful!

2. Some people are cool and like to see others enjoying a passion and others are jealous because they don't do anything and need mess with you.

3. You never know what is under your coil! Or the dirt you're walking on.

4. The amount of super deep and masked coins is unreal.

5. People really are pigs today but then again I dig up loads of old iron from the pig generations before us!
    Whyme, RustyGold, gold boy and 4 others like this.
    If it's not there you won't find it.......

If it is there you NEED to find it!......

us
    Jul 2013
    OC, Calif
    Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
    591 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    And yet the Govt ( at least in Ca) solves the litter problem by outlawing restaurants from giving out plastic straws. No one gets a ticket for littering. Go fiquire.

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    11172 times
    Metal Detecting
    Never wear cologne that attracts a Sasquatch!
    EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK
    IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THAT'S WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, ProFind-35 pinpointer, AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Equinox 6" coil. Garrett Carrot
    352 times
    Relic Hunting

#5. Local history!

pretty much what you listed and....

I thought I really knew a lot about metal detecting. Heck, I used a Fisher Gold Bug in the late 80's for two years hunting gold. After that A Garrett Hunter, Fisher ID Edge, AT Pro for 3 years and now an Equinox 800 since March 2018.
    But I was wrong and the Nox 800 proved that to me. I had to not only learn the 800 but learn stuff I should have leaned about metal detecting. I had to go beyond the steps that you just ground balanced and went swinging.

Put on bug spray Deet feet, any exposed skin and around your waist even when you just go on a brief hunt in the park. In Georgia ticks are a constant problem, more so in the spring, but also in the summer.

hunt in all metal, and on the 800 50 tones and use the visual display to help confirm what your ears hear on 90 degree sweep checks to see if the display numbers stay real close or exactly the same.

don't waste your time hunting in sites where there is not a high probability of finding what you want to find. Do your research!
    Last edited by pulltabfelix; Oct 27, 2018 at 08:49 PM.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, ProFind-35 pinpointer, AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Equinox 6" coil. Garrett Carrot
    352 times
    Relic Hunting
    true about people being pigs.

In a heavily used park on the river where I practice with my 800 has these signs posted everywhere at the entrance and in the park:

no personal grills
    no alcoholic beverages
    no loud music
    no littering
    no dogs off leash
    park closed after sundown
    many areas along the river that say protected area do not enter.

I have been detecting this park for the past 5 years and every single day I walk my dog or metal detect the county police cruise through the park and say nothing. Every single law/rule is violated every single day. I guess there would have to be a drowning, murder or rape before they would cite anyone. go figure. I guess it would be politically incorrect to cause these people to obey the laws. Hint: on weekends it is 99% people not from the US. You rarely hear English spoken in the park on the weekend. If you don't think we are being invaded then visit this park on weekends.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    4475 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    Never wear cologne that attracts a Sasquatch!
    And what happened besides you giving up Hai Karate?
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    4990 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I’ve learned not to forget my scoop when I go beach hunting.
    Use sunscreen.
    Take water.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Oct 2014
    Amboy Wa.
    AT Pro
    272 times
    Metal Detecting
    One more thing, always recheck your hole after you pull your target out. Sometimes you are surprised with a 2nd or even a 3rd surprise.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5561 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    A couple of things I learned.......

1. After walking miles swinging a coil, doing deep knee bends making a recovery, digging or hauling a scoop to sift the sand, detecting isn't for wimps.

2. It's truly amazing how much stuff people lose every day.
    Whyme, gold boy, RustyGold and 3 others like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links