bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a PI detector. I was looking towards a sand shark, but heard they went out of business so getting parts/warranty service may be an issue. My next option I am checking out is the Garrett SeaHunter Mark II. Anyone have any opinions and or advice on these. I like the price ranges of these models and since I am a novice I don't really want to jump into something super expensive. I will be diving in lakes and also taking trips to the beach here on the west coast. Just wanting to see what you guys with a lot of experience may suggest. Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Mike, and welcome to the forum. Fortunately, Minelab has made Multi-Frequency VLF, affordable at $650.00 with the Equinox 600 3720-0001 | Minelab Equinox 600 | Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

The Garrett is a POS. I used the Sand Shark for many years - loved that machine, until I got my Equinox. Best of luck to you!:occasion14:

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Thanks Terry, appreciate the info. I will check them out right now! Have a good night.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going deeper than 10 feet, you can forget the Equinox. Otherwise it's the best of the bunch. For diving (deeper than 10 feet) and no discrimination, the cheapest one I would recommend is the White's dual field. If you would like discrimination, The CZ21 is the cheapest of that type and a good machine. I prefer the Excalibur for a number of reasons, but, I realize it might be above your budget. If Tesoro reinvents itself, the Sand Shark is a good PI machine and a relative bargain.

Oct 21, 2018
Florida cocoa beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 ,pro find 35, big stainless beach scoop , Root slayer Nomad
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the new whites surf master pi whites has great customer service I would atleast just look at a review of the machine

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the advise guys! I will check them out. I noticed a couple but the depth range was too shallow for what I am wanting. I haven't seen how deep the whites surf master goes but will check it out. I am going to be diving lakes and ocean. Off the coast I am in 50 plus feet so I would like something that can go to 100' to be safe. Thanks again!

Mike

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Hi Chris,
Isnt that a good thing having to dig deep holes? I am still researching and am leaning toward the sand shark. Not set in stone yet but its my number 1 pick so far. What are your recommendations?
I have seen the Garrett Infinium LS also but read that it was discontinued, but it had excellent reviews. Not a fan of buying something that isn't made anymore in case of issues that cannot be fixed. I appreciate all the advise from you guys! It helps when you have different opinions because it forces a person to really research and see what is important for them so they can make a good decision. Thank you.

Mike

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Chris,
Isnt that a good thing having to dig deep holes? I am still researching and am leaning toward the sand shark. Not set in stone yet but its my number 1 pick so far. What are your recommendations?
I have seen the Garrett Infinium LS also but read that it was discontinued, but it had excellent reviews. Not a fan of buying something that isn't made anymore in case of issues that cannot be fixed. I appreciate all the advise from you guys! It helps when you have different opinions because it forces a person to really research and see what is important for them so they can make a good decision. Thank you.

Mike

Mike,I used mine for hookah diving I really enjoyed being underwater the MK is a deep seeker and have found gold and silver(along with bb's and bobby pins) sadly I had to give it up due to an inner ear problem.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chris,

Mike

At least Garrett is still in business. If you're willing to spend $1200 on an Infinium, why not spend $300 more and get an Excalibur or CZ21?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread