How to take your MD on a plane

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just got back from FL. I put the coil, control cable, & control module in my carry on bag. No probs. I wasn't even ask to open. I packed/checked the shafts :D

In the past, I have broke the detector down in 2, putting it in a baseball equipment bag. The equipment bag is just the right size for a detector broken down into 2 ;)

I developed concerned about carrying on the shafts. Fearing security may view a shaft as a weapon :(

Attachments

• travel bag.JPG
    travel bag.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 255
OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
Thanks for the suggestions guys I will try to make something work.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
be sure all batteries / battery packs are removed from detector before boarding plane. Carry on - do not check in! Best protection is a hard shell pelican case like this one shown. 'Cases are watertight to a depth of 30 feet, airtight, dustproof, corrosion proof with a lifetime guarantee of excellence.'

http://www.pelicanproducts.us/cataspx5.html

good luck! HH!

Attachments

• 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 245
OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
I cannot afford to have my MD cause me problems in security and screw this trip up, the flights alone are costing around $1500 and I am committed to a humanitarian aid organization for 4 months at least. I have been trying to get back to Thailand for 2 years. at most I may consider taking the control module in my carry on but the rest will have to be packed back into its original packing crate and sandwiched between clothes for padding. Im leaving in 5 days and buying a hard case through the mail wont happen logistically by then. There arent many retailers that sell hard cases around here large enough for less than $300 so the hard case is out of the question.

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
The most important think is to call your airline first. Remember it doesn't matter if I took mine to Florida last week, it only matters what they say on this trip. You don't what surprizes at the last minute. Oh and don't dig up any land mines. I talked to a guy in Germany and detecting is off limits in most places. He posted pictures and a lot of the woods still had bomb holes. Another guy posted that metal detecting was a NO NO in Ireland. What about Thailand? Rob

ps I was watching Airline on TV and a women's luggage was damaged. The airline only covered each bag up to $200. That won't cover two coils if I had them in a checked bag.

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Is it possible to purchase additional insurance on your checked luggage? I would definitley do this if its an option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread