Upgrade from Compadre to...?

Son&Son

Sep 30, 2018
MI, Lower Peninsula
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've put in a solid season with my Compadre, found a couple silver coins and some cool relics. I've gotten access to some older sites and the 5.75 inch coil and all the time spent thumbing the discrimination feels like it's cutting my recovery rate.

I like hunting by sound and the amount of information the sounds from the Compadre give me, I used an Ace 150 and it seemed really gimped in comparison. The 5 tones didn't seem enough and it seemed really unresponsive, not letting me zero in on targets like the compadre.

Things I like about the Compadre in no particular order:
-Lightweight
-Long battery life
-Great iron exclusion and multi target discrimination
-Very informative sound
-no lag or delay of any kind, infinite variability of the analog signal.

Possible upgrades in no particular order:
-Larger/interchangeable coil
-Waterproof
-Salt compatibility is a bonus if not at the expense of other features
-Is a screen/VDI really going to help me dig less iron trash and can slaw?
-Hopefully similar weight category to compadre
-All metal no motion for hunting clean sites and pinpointing

I have considered, in no particular order:
-Tesoro outlaw (would it really be much of an upgrade?)
-Tesoro cortes (more info from screen while still speaking the tesoro language?)
-Equinox 600 seems attractive (maybe just the easy choice if I can foot the price?)
-XP Deus (doesn't do salt well? maybe fussy for no reason compared to Equinox and I don't like that there are multiple components to charge )

I have not done extensive research and i'm open if you have any other suggestions.

It would be awesome to hear from anyone who started with a Compadre or similar and where you went from there. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without knowing your spending limit I'm just going to throw a few possibilities your way; some machines you may want to take a look at (that you haven't mentioned).

1. Makro Multi Kruzer - or the Multi Anfibo.

The Kruzer is light in weight, fast, and does a very good job in salt water. I've never used the Anfibo but it has a few more user options and is a bit more weight. Both machines are available in multiple frequency configurations, or single frequency configurations. With both models, the multiple frequency versions give the user the ability to select one of three frequencies available. You cannot run all three frequencies at the same time. As with everything, that has both its advantages and disadvantage.

I do own the MMK. Very light in weight. The balance is very good with the stock coil and even better with the 7 inch concentric coil. It is a very fast machine and quite deep. It has an internal rechargeable battery. Battery life seems to be decent so far. Makro sells an exterior battery holder that can be used to power the machine once the interior battery is depleted. My understanding is that the two battery packs (interior/exterior) cannot run at the same time. I did purchase the exterior battery pack, but have not used it. I bought it so I'd be prepared in the event that I forgot to charge the interior battery, or in the event that the interior battery failed. Comes with wireless headphones that work very well (IMO). I have seen reports from some users that the headphones weren't loud enough, but that hasn't been an issue for me. Of the machines I own, I am the least familiar with the MMK. Some of that is due to the fact that I have owned it for less time, but much of that is due to the fact that I am far more acquainted with Whites machine. Despite my comfort with Whites, I do think the MMK is a fantastic machine and one that would easily meet/exceed your expectations.

2. Whites MX Sport or Garrett's ATPro.

Neither machine is going to be the best choice for salt water hunting, but can suffice if salt water hunting is an occasional thing at most and depth isn't your priority. Outside of wet salt conditions the depth is very good.

I have not owned an ATPro. I have swung one briefly. The balance seemed OK to me, but the small screen made it all but impossible to read the VDI numbers. It is quite a bit heavier than the Compadre though. One of the most popular machines and it has a long history of great finds. Lots of coils available.

I do own the MX Sport. It is a very sensitive machine and deep. It is heavier than the AT Pro, but (IMO) balanced better. The screen is larger (much better screen IMO) and it is much easier (for me) to see the VDI numbers. The Sport has a good selection of coils available. For my tastes the new 6 inch coil makes the machine's balance even better. Comes with waterproof headphones. A lighter non-waterproof headphone is available too - or you can use whichever headphones you wish (with the adaptor). I think the MX Sport is a tough machine to beat. It will do an OK job in salt water (keep the sensitivity down a bit) but that is not its strength.

Since you mentioned the Equinox 600, and a possible struggle to foot the cost, I am going to assume that your outer limit (price-wise) is $600 give/take a bit. That limit leaves out all but the AT Pro (machines I've mentioned) and even that machine is getting close (new) to the presumed limit. Shopping sponsoring dealers might get the prices close (the other machines I listed) but I don't know that for sure.

It is possible to buy a used machine that would meet your stated objectives, but even used machines (that are good in salt water) are going to be fairly close to the presumed price threshold.

Dropping the salt water and waterproof requirements will open the doors to a bunch of very capable machines that are (new) lower than the presumed $600 threshold. One such machine would be the Whites MX7 - a weatherproof version of the MX Sport, and a bit lighter weight machine. Others include the Tekenetics Patriot (a Fisher F70 with different paint), several Tesoro machines, several Fisher machines, Makro Racer 2, and a bunch of models/makes that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I don't think any of them will be in the Compadre's weight class though. I do think you can find a machine with better depth and coil options that let you tailor your hunting needs. I also think a more feature-rich machine can be helpful at times, but there's just something pure fun/magical about the Compadre.

Have fun hunting for your new machine and best of luck with whatever machine you choose.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Lots of great choices out there.
I have experience with the Compadre, a Mojave, a Vaquero and now a Nox.
Several things you mentioned can be said of all of them.

If this is your list of what you like...

Things I like about the Compadre in no particular order:
-Lightweight
-Long battery life
-Great iron exclusion and multi target discrimination
-Very informative sound
-no lag or delay of any kind, infinite variability of the analog signal.

And this is the list of what you would like...

Possible upgrades in no particular order:
-Larger/interchangeable coil
-Waterproof
-Salt compatibility is a bonus if not at the expense of other features
-Is a screen/VDI really going to help me dig less iron trash and can slaw?
-Hopefully similar weight category to compadre
-All metal no motion for hunting clean sites and pinpointing

Except for the waterproof thing a Patriot comes very close to having the features you like in the Compadre giving you most all of those things you want in an upgrade for $399.
It all depends on you, what would ultimately make you happy and your wallet.

I have thousands of hours standing behind most all the ones I mentioned, (except the Mojave and Nox), plus an F2 and an F70 for many thousands of hours which has been rebranded as that Patriot so my suggestion comes from experience.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford the Equinox, I'd get that. It does everything on your list well. None of the single frequency machines do well in salt water. Since Tesoro has suspended operation, I'd think twice about what a "lifetime guarantee" means.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions