Search for undiscovered sites

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to be doing some traveling soon throughout the U.S(mostly Midwest). I'll have my metal detector with me. I've been MDing for about 5 years now and have a real good grasp on the fact that most sites have already been hunted out(covered by MD'ers hundreds of times). I guess I was wondering what is the possibility of finding an undiscovered ballfield(hidden away) or maybe an undiscovered campground or picnic area which is overgrown with weeds and trees. Maybe an abandoned hamlet or Church grounds where the building is gone but the grounds haven't been discovered and picked over. I'd like to be able to go in there and scoop up some silver and copper--really enjoy the hobby at its apex for a few hours. Am I just dreaming? I'm not big on research as it seems to be mostly a waste of time and when out on the road not really practical. I know the golden age of metal detecting is long over but I was thinking just maybe I could get lucky.....and any feedback others might have based on experience would be greatly appreciated. HH.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I suggest you rethink your idea that "..research is.......... mostly a waste of time and when out on the road not really practical." In my opinion, research is more necessary now than ever before to find the specific sites you dream about. If you metal detect for health reasons or just want to get out of the house and have some exercise and adventure, then great, do it. But if you really seek what you mentioned, your best bet is to do the research first--IMO.
Don....

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research. After tracking down an 1895 plat book of my township, I discovered there were 5 houses in what is now a bean field just 3/4 of a mile from my house. Got permission for the 5 acre field and the landowner told me the last house (abandoned) was burned to clear the land in the early 60's. It was a log cabin. I've just started to hunt the field. Gary

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with research first. But if you get away from the bigger metropolises and the bigger cities you should run across dozens of places that have not been hunted at all. I know here in Oklahoma there are plenty of places still to hunt but the problem is they are mostly private property....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't do the research first, just leave the detector home. I found a virgin Civil War site and two virgin colonial house sites in the last year by use of research. And geography.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone helps to know what was there before

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen a couple members do well on there travels just by focusing on old parks. To find the dream sites you mention often takes a lot of research. Try Googling Topoview. This a nationwide site that is preloaded with map overlays. It’s a quick way to “cheat” on research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions