Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By 7up2000
  • 11 Post By Mackaydon
  • 5 Post By ToddsPoint
  • 3 Post By kingskid1611
  • 3 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By A2coins

Thread: Search for undiscovered sites

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2014
    Tucson, Arizona
    Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro
    659 times
    Metal Detecting

Search for undiscovered sites

I'm going to be doing some traveling soon throughout the U.S(mostly Midwest). I'll have my metal detector with me. I've been MDing for about 5 years now and have a real good grasp on the fact that most sites have already been hunted out(covered by MD'ers hundreds of times). I guess I was wondering what is the possibility of finding an undiscovered ballfield(hidden away) or maybe an undiscovered campground or picnic area which is overgrown with weeds and trees. Maybe an abandoned hamlet or Church grounds where the building is gone but the grounds haven't been discovered and picked over. I'd like to be able to go in there and scoop up some silver and copper--really enjoy the hobby at its apex for a few hours. Am I just dreaming? I'm not big on research as it seems to be mostly a waste of time and when out on the road not really practical. I know the golden age of metal detecting is long over but I was thinking just maybe I could get lucky.....and any feedback others might have based on experience would be greatly appreciated. HH.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    9719 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I suggest you rethink your idea that "..research is.......... mostly a waste of time and when out on the road not really practical." In my opinion, research is more necessary now than ever before to find the specific sites you dream about. If you metal detect for health reasons or just want to get out of the house and have some exercise and adventure, then great, do it. But if you really seek what you mentioned, your best bet is to do the research first--IMO.
    Don....

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    970 times
    Metal Detecting
    Research. After tracking down an 1895 plat book of my township, I discovered there were 5 houses in what is now a bean field just 3/4 of a mile from my house. Got permission for the 5 acre field and the landowner told me the last house (abandoned) was burned to clear the land in the early 60's. It was a log cabin. I've just started to hunt the field. Gary

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    4857 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I agree with research first. But if you get away from the bigger metropolises and the bigger cities you should run across dozens of places that have not been hunted at all. I know here in Oklahoma there are plenty of places still to hunt but the problem is they are mostly private property....
    7up2000, A2coins and Mackaydon like this.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13205 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    If you don't do the research first, just leave the detector home. I found a virgin Civil War site and two virgin colonial house sites in the last year by use of research. And geography.
    A2coins, 7up2000 and Mackaydon like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    11904 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I agree with everyone helps to know what was there before
    Mackaydon likes this.
    Approved TreasureNet Bumper Stickers And Detector Stickers
    .:: $5.00 (Free Shipping) ::. $2.50 for small "1 x "4

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    5057 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have seen a couple members do well on there travels just by focusing on old parks. To find the dream sites you mention often takes a lot of research. Try Googling Topoview. This a nationwide site that is preloaded with map overlays. It’s a quick way to “cheat” on research.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links