Top 5 metal detectors for 2018.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it's probably around but I haven't seen it....so since we have a bunch of new machines out I want you all to vote for the ones you think are the top five. Let's say no pi machines, and considering the following: price vs value, depth, separation, build quality, ease of use and also just being enjoyable to use. Can't wait to hear from you guys! Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my picks based alot on what you get for the money and versatility: (no certain order)
1. Minelab equinox 800
2. Garrett AT Max
3. XP Deus
4. Whites MX7 (2 coil deal right now)
5. Tie between Teknetics T2 classic and Tesoro Vaquero (pending the outcome of the companies future)

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No particular order.
Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71
Multi Kruzer
Anfibio Multi
Teknetics Patriot

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Equinox 800
2. " "
3. " "
4. " "
5. Equinox 600
6. Makro Multikruzer
7. XP Deus
8. AT Max
9. White's MX Sport
10. Any used Minelab FBS machine

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
F75 Plus bundle
T2 plus bundle
XP Deus
AT max

Edit....the patriot is an awesome value too.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Max is much better depth no programing and seperation than my Equinox both great machines

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nox 800
Multi Kruzer
Impact
Racer 2
V3i with BigFoot coil

BigDaddyDave

Nov 13, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly. If I knew about the Tek Patriot I would have bought it before my AT Max. Since I've only had two those are my picks.

1) Teknetics Patriot
2) Garrett AT Max

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
At Max is much better depth no programing and seperation than my Equinox both great machines

Arrrghhh! Now you tell me! I splurged for the Nox800 and quite honestly, after about 60 hours, it is still a machine beyond my capability. I’ve been falling back on my AT Pro more and more frequently. Sadly, I have an incurable case of “Gottadigititis”. If the machine beeps, I gotta dig it. You never know when the machine mistakes a gold ring or a colonial coin for a pull tab or a square nail.
HH
dts

Arkie

Feb 16, 2017
NE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure it's probably around but I haven't seen it....so since we have a bunch of new machines out I want you all to vote for the ones you think are the top five. Let's say no pi machines, and considering the following: price vs value, depth, separation, build quality, ease of use and also just being enjoyable to use. Can't wait to hear from you guys! Thanks!

Whatever I'm currently using:laughing:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all the answers but I’m surprised nobody even mentioned the goldbug pro. I think it’s still a great machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all the answers but I’m surprised nobody even mentioned the goldbug pro. I think it’s still a great machine.

Only manual ground balance, no back light, sucks in salt water, at 19kh, not a great tiny nugget machine or particularly deep. They tried to make it a good all around machine, but, it's only OK. The Nox (and others) will run circles around it at about the same price.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nox is the 2018 winner. Deff could be better. Nox loves iron. Imagine the Nox with the ctx display! Omg game over. They should have done that and charged more.

2019 we will see...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think many people got the nox over the hype Me included If anyone compared it to the Max on coins and depth iron audio notch out water proof pin point threshold no programming back light cordless hands down the max I like the 800 for water hunting cant get it wet too bouncy on deep coins ID not as solid like I said its alot just getting your coil over the target

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Tommy and the AT Max...I looked and tested different machines for a year, looking for an all terrain detector. Submersible was my primary reason as I absolutely love my DFX for everything, but it's not for water.

I tried all of them because I tend to keep things for a long time and I don't really like change, so I knew I wanted a proven company that also has accessories, different coils, great customer service, not worrying about downloading new software or bugs in it and also backlight was a must as I'm used to it with the DFX and use it in the timber and basements/cellars a lot.

I saw the difference in the Max and Pro and Why folks have a hard time getting used to the difference in tones, but that didn't affect me since I've never owned a Pro. Going with the 5x8 DD Coil was the best for my type of hunting. Love It.

I will get the Grey Ghost Amphibian Submersible Headphones for it if I think they are needed. Garrett water proof headphones leave a lot to be desired as far as fit in my opinion.

I do not hunt saltwater normally...if that changes, I'll get a Detector for that even though Garrett says the Max will handle saltwater well...Many experienced SW detectorists here have said different and I believe them.

I can't give an answer to the top 5, but I'd say the Garrett AT Max for All Terrain and the Whites 300 (same exact machine as DFX) different Coil Size and name for non water hunting.

Kace

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett service they have sent me new coil when I accidently srepped on mine didnt have to send the old one in.My machine warranty expired a yesr and 3 months prior best service hands down
. try that with any other. company aint gonna happen My Buddy got headphones the same thing they had him send the old ones in but they sent him new ones before he even shipped his out to them. I also got a new lower shaft sent to me free..

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Im voting for my AT pro, I just got the giant search coil, I’ll be digging to China this spring (:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread