Are you supposed to clean silver coins with toothpaste?

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only if you aren't going to sell it. If it's a coin that is just worth the silver value you aren't hurting anything, but if its rare or coin collectors are interested in it when you go to sell it will hurt the coins value greatly if its been cleaned improperly and left hairline scratches on it.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
When I started 5 years ago, I cleaned all my silver coins. I now prefer the “as found” look. It took a long time for the coin to get that patina, so I leave them that way. Of course I encourage you to do whatever makes you happy.

If you want clean them, a paste of water and baking soda is the way to do it. This paste also works on silver jewelry. A soft brush will help to get the nooks and crannies.

Good luck.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can but also know any coin in the ground is graded ED so value is hurt anyway here in Mich silver comes out like it was dropped yesterday clad is dark and has to be tumbled to clean

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean most of my silver coins I find metal detecting. And I was always wondering is it good to clean silver coins with toothpaste.

It will depend on many things. You need to make that decision on a coin by coin basis. Most cleaning techniques will hurt the value of collector coins, but, sometimes it will improve it's value if the coin looks ugly in it's present state.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver coins can be cleaned with toothpaste but most silvers don't need to be cleaned. If you scrub GENTLY no harm will come to a silver coin but if you scrub hard the coin will take on an unnatural look. Bullion value coins...it doesn't matter, if it's a scarce or rare date the only thing you should use s a little warm water.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toothpaste is finely abrasive. You can use it to polish hazy headlights on your car. I wouldn't use it on a coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread