Suggestions on new coil

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i brought a 13inch for my whites,but the weight keeps me from using it for long.i think i cover more ground in a day with my 6x10
but we all need new toys.
good luck brad

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask garrett they are very helpful the big coil you cant use in trashy areas it goes deeper for bigger targets but loce depth on smaller ones like dimes

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You could try the 8.5" x 11"; larger AT series coil if you do not already use one. It does increase the detecting surface area and isn't to heavy. :icon_thumleft:

I will say on occasions I've used the 15" coil on my minelabs...needless to say the only way I can swing these for hours on end is with a harness; just a thought.

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask garrett they are very helpful the big coil you cant use in trashy areas it goes deeper for bigger targets but loce depth on smaller ones like dimes

Didn't realize it was for more depth for bigger targets. I thought it gave better depth for all targets. I've dug an axe head at 24" with my f5 and stock coil. Of course it was only a whisper. Never would have heard it without headphones.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please explain what type of targets you hope to find. I downsized from my standard 11" coil on my E-TRAC to a 6" by 8" coil. It has much better target separation in those high trash areas.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
My kids had Nel on their ATP and ATG, son also had a couple from Mars as well.

Daughter who was about 9 or 10 then had the AT Gold, and she really liked the Nel Snake over the bigger coils just because it could really discriminate. That Snake still went a heck of alot deeper than the stock coils.

I guess Mars coils blow, not sure, son tested them for a while and went back to Nel.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
They also had the retractable AT Shafts from Mars, those where really good for them to pack their MDs away in a bag so they could ride to where they would hunt.

BigDaddyDave

Nov 13, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Nel Tornado on my AT Max and have not changed it out in over 6 months. It is a perfect pair. You will have to relearn your pinpoint spot on the coil however. Once you do you should be golden. I'm banging a clad quarter at 10" on moderate/mineralized soil in my test bed with no problem and a silver at 11"-12". I'm using zero mode, -2 thresh, sense at 3 bars and auto ground balanced. My auto ground balance is between 60-70. Happy hunting!:)

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like im going to be looking into nel coils lol. I hunt everything a solid 40 or higher. I hunt a lot of old western areas so theres a lot of trash.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After many hours of experience swinging detectors, I discovered that larger isn't always better and found that smaller, sniper coils are often more useful than larger coils unless covering large areas is really important. Smaller lets you detect closer to fences etc. slip thru heavy trash much better and are a joy to swing and pinpointing is a snap.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread