Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: OK this is the second time now this is getting ridiculous

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    11416 times
    Metal Detecting
    What do you mean by cat Holes?
    Truth1253 likes this.
    EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK
    IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THAT'S WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James Cash View Post
    If there's enough meat left on the blade,get a piece of cast steel pipe 4 or so inches long.put the pipe on the shaft,weld the handle where it belongs.clean the weld up,slide the piece of pipe down overe the welded part and weld the pipe ends to the handle shaft.
    Iím going to actually show this, What you said to my welder tomorrow. Thanks buddy

Mar 2014
    133 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    You ever figure on just fabricating your own digging tool. Some things it seems like they are just designed to break and get in back into the store to buy a newer version and maybe some other stuff you really do not need.

One of my digging tool I use I found in the forest in Switzerland, actually found two that day. Both are called a Hookaroon, always been a big collector of small forestry hand tools, but these where not like the American made stuff I had collected my whole life, they where from a German firm called Mueller or MŁller (depending on what keyboard you have).

Darn thing just leaned against a tree, no sign at all of any forestry work done. I can not even think of a time when tree had been taken in that area.

Anyway, i was headed down to a stream to dig cracks and flips rocks, and thought, well if I can break them then I will add them to my collection. The five footer was a beast, but the little one about a foot and half was really good. Only used the five footer a few other times since, but the little one is my good to tool now when I head out for cracks or flipping rocks.

Sure was not made for it, but it does the job like it was.

Told my neighbour there about it, he watches after our property for us because we do not live there. He loves to hunt nuggets too, well a Swiss nugget is more like what some folks in the US on the youtube call pickers and do not seem so enthusiastic about.

Fella told me that he also has a German Hookaroon, but that he made his own shovel. He said you either buys German made stainless or make your own gear. LOL Then he said but nuggets in Europe do not pay for high quality german stainless, so he made his.

Back in Texas on the ranch we often made our own tools; took and old disc that was not worth saving and cut up one of the disc and made some post hole diggers, root busters and a hoe. I would bet you get your hands on something like that and you could make a pretty good long lasting tool. Seen plemty of the same repurpose skill in Lousiana. Heck if you do not have something laying around in the yard then just head to Toledo Bend, used to find all sorts of good stuff on the river banks there.

Tools these days (since the 80s) seems like they are made for city folk trying to decorate their garden sheds.
    Here in the Pacific Northwest we call those Pickaroons. They are used extensively in mills and whatnot. Good tools.
    Truth1253 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    UPDATE: I just spoke with George Lesche and heís sending me out a brand new one priority mail. Now thatís good service and I would like to thank him on Tnet and let you know that is they only experience this problem maybe one% of the time. He said he had no problem sending me a brand new one. Good man

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    Iíd like to show my appreciation predator tools for backing up their product and sending me a new shovel no questions asked.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	1652512

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    10010 times
    Metal Detecting
    You need to do more poking before you start levering. ;-)

Loosen up the plug on all four sides before you try and lift it out.
    Truth1253, Hawks88 and A2coins like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    5143 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    I’d like to show my appreciation predator tools for backing up their product and sending me a new shovel no questions asked.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	1652512
    Truth,
    That’s awesome that George stood behind his shovel.
    Oddjob, Hawks88 and A2coins like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    You need to do more poking before you start levering. ;-)

Loosen up the plug on all four sides before you try and lift it out.
    Oh youíre right Charlie I just get impatient sometimes thatís all itís my fault

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    Truth,
    Thatís awesome that George stood behind his shovel.
    100% he told me itís not my fault itís supposed to be able to to handle shovel brutality
    Oddjob, RustyGold and A2coins like this.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1032 times

Home made

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_220556.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	1652841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_220638.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	1652842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_220619.jpg 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	1652843
    here's one I made /modified. The Chinese part still didn't hold up I use a tig, SS tube. SS solid bar to reinforce.
    Chub
    Last edited by chub; Nov 17, 2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Oddjob, Truth1253, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_220556.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	1652841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_220638.jpg 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	1652842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_220619.jpg 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	1652843
    here's one I made /modified. The Chinese part still didn't hold up I use a tig, SS tube. SS solid bar to reinforce.
    Chub
    Hey nice try lol

us
    Nov 2011
    507 times
    I didn't see anything here about keeping your equipment clean and dry and free of mud and the associated moisture or corrosive chemicals/salts. maybe even a little WD-40.
    Truth1253, Oddjob, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.
    If your heart is in it you will find a thousand ways to achieve your goal.
    If your heart is not in it you will find a thousand excuses.

Ouija Board and map dowsing , one and the same. Just tape a map onto the Ouija Board and you have map dowsing.
    Works great if you like wild goose chases and snipe hunts!

My new motto: L-rods are obsolete.

Like Cappy sings with his harmonica, "We're all gonna die, but not tonight."

May you never take one single breath for granted.

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by signal_line View Post
    I didn't see anything here about keeping your equipment clean and dry and free of mud and the associated moisture or corrosive chemicals/salts. maybe even a little WD-40.
    Which is very true because I left my other on in the bed of the truck.
    Oddjob and A2coins like this.

Aug 2012
    RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
    7571 times
    Quote Originally Posted by signal_line View Post
    I didn't see anything here about keeping your equipment clean and dry and free of mud and the associated moisture or corrosive chemicals/salts.
    Yeah, likely because he made a thread about his broken tool, and no one here is going to bust their gear up and then give it a good clean and service.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I'm not an Idiot Whisperer. I can't help you any further with the math.

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Yeah, likely because he made a thread about his broken tool, and no one here is going to bust their gear up and then give it a good clean and service.
    Iím gonna take care of this one and use that WD40 this time. I just get exhaustingly lazy after a hunt.

They did send me the wrong shovel they sent me the T shovel which is a little longer than my Piranha with the handle which now drags from my shovel belt holder. But whata gonna do....complain lol
    Oddjob and A2coins like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links