DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm considering buying my 5-year-old grandson a metal detector for Christmas. The boy is very bright; last year he took an antique gumball machine apart...then had to instruct his dad (a John Deere mechanic) on how to put it back together. He is also CRAZY about pirates and TREASURE! I'm shooting for something under $100, but would like something good enough to encourage him to advance to a more advanced model when he is older. I see several MDs under my price range, but many of the names are unfamiliar, so I suspect Chinese crap and wish to avoid.

I have considered the BH Jr. "T.I.D." model, which has "Imoji" graphics to display discrimination..."Frowny face" for Iron/Foil, "Puzzled face" for Tab/Zinc/Nickle, "Happy face" for coin/silver, but although it has many "professional" reviewers' recommendations, actual USER/OWNER reviews aren't quite so glowing: 3 1/2 stars on Amazon. He would probably outgrow it in a year - but he has twin 3-year-old siblings, too....

The BH Tracker IV looks promising; though just (barely) over my budget target. Analog meter, and only two knobs (ON/OFF/SENS and DISC), 3 modes, 2 tones. It is based on an S-Rod design like most advanced detectors (unlike the BH Jr.), so the transition will be easier when he "borrows" the one below:

His older brother (15) will be getting my old (2015) Bounty Hunter Time Ranger as well, but I think the BHTR display and controls and membrane buttons may be too "busy" for a 5-year old.

Does the Tracker IV appear to be the better decision? I know with Black Friday coming up, I may find several "deals" on higher-end machines priced under $100, but not sure what to wait for...Fisher 22? BH QuickSilver? White's XVenture? Minelab GoFind 20?

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy him a Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector. They very cheaply priced at $160.00, and will last him his life. Other then that, maybe just buy him a toy one for 50 or 80 bucks...

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Woodsy! You can't beat a Compadre for a beginer or experienced detectorist.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought mine.....same age and attitude as your little guy, A Minelab Go-Find 40.....He loves it and he finds the goods......by himself. He is 8 0723181030.jpg 1021170937.jpg 1021170939.jpg 1021171101.jpg

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Teknetics Digitek, around 160.00. It's kid sized, but an optional longer lower rod is available for about 30.00.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your asking about Bounty Hunters.
I've been using a Tracker IV for a couple years , It's a good beginner machine. In reality the meter is useless.The knobs and discrimination switch give good tuning ability but could be a bit confusing for a five year old.
I also have a BH Quicksilver. I think it would be better machine for him. Push button turn on and go , easy push button discrimination , easy push button sensitivity , easy to clean with the membrane buttons. My Quicksilver is a older model ,NO headphone jack , don't know if the newer ones have one , add say's it does.. It's good for 4/5 inches deep.
The T.I.D looks cute. The HunterGT did some good videos on it. He might like it for a bit but might outgrow it quickly if he's as smart as you say.

For a bright 5 year old my advice would be the Quicksilver. About $90 on Amazon.

Just don't let him take it apart !

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
why not give him your oldest one ,and get your self a new one,you can lell your wife you had to get a new one because you gave yours to your grandson .
:icon_thumleft: brad

Last edited:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best choice a used Tesoro Compadre. Teknetics Digitek is also a good one for children.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I gave both my grandsons the BH Tracker IV. They found coins and rings with them and in my own yard one grandson pulled a 1941 Mercury.
I found a hobby lobby coupon and got them for around 60 dollars each.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro compadre. Cheap, easy to learn, well made , lightweight. Holds its value for resale later if you choose to do so.

OP
OP
D

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
why not give him your oldest one ,and get your self a new one,you can lell your wife you had to get a new one because you gave yours to your grandson .
:icon_thumleft: brad

I recently bought myself a Fisher F44; my old BH Time Ranger is going to the 15-year-old brother, and the 5-year-old is getting whatever I can decide on. There are also 3-year old twin twins...everyone should be able to "graduate up" one step next year, or so.

I know BH discontinued the "VLF" series; I found a 2.1 Model on clearance for a ridiculous price. It falls somewhere between the Jr and Tracker models in performance. The kids are pretty rough sometimes, so one aim is not to invest too much on something that may not survive too long...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread