sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me preface my rant by saying that this is just my opinion. I’m sure others will disagree with me and may even have some valid counterpoints, but....

Today I was walking through Costco and happened to see a big stack of metal detectors they had on display. Looking a bit closer I saw that they were Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 models that were selling for 85 bucks, which frankly is a great price for that machine.

I have no issues whatsoever with people being introduced to this great hobby. I am not concerned with people taking one of these machines to one of my honey holes and hunting it out. My issue is this: Nobody gets interested in the hobby, does their research on detectors, and then goes to Costco to buy one. No, the vast majority of these machines will be bought on a whim by someone who walks past the display and thinks, “Oh, look at that. That will be a great Christmas present for Bob.”

These detectors will then be in the hands of someone who never previously had even a thought of swinging a metal detector. And that’s ok, like I said I don’t have an issue with others engaging in this hobby. However they will have no clue about the etiquette that is required in this hobby. THAT is my issue.

So now that Bob has his new Christmas present what will he do? He will run out to the neighborhood park and start putting holes all over the place. Bob won’t have any idea on how to cut a clean plug and to leave no trace. He will be doing this while being watched by others who won’t like Bob leaving holes in their park. And all it takes is one or two loud voices to get rules changed. Of course they won’t understand that Bob’s actions aren’t a representation of all detectorists, but we all can suffer from Bob’s actions.

The particular Costco I was at had 19 machines, and there are two other Costcos in my city they are also selling them, not to mention all of the other Costcos nationwide. There will be a whole lot of Bob’s out there soon.

Yes, I know that Costco has previously sold metal detectors and the world hasn’t come to an end because of it. But get ready folks, in about five weeks there are going to be some holes popping up in your local parks.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542568668.183875.jpg

Upvote 0

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This machine has 4 tones, notch, manual GB...It even has a “zap” button - allowing one target return to be notched out - just the thing to use to remove those pesky 22 rimfire hulls after you have found 4 of them already - or those zinc pennies.

It’s apparently an excellent machine and the original MSRP is about $350.

Run, do not walk to Costco and buy one for anybody who needs a decent machine to start with.

The excellent manual is clear and covers all issues of operation well.

https://www.kotulas.com/wcsstore/KotulaStorefrontAssetStore/images/pdf/25860.pdf

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the past five years hunting my favorite parks I have seen no evidence of anyone leaving holes. I am in Gwinnett county north east of city of Atlanta. I have seen maybe 10 fellow detectorists and met them. They all had mid range or above machines and Lesch or similar small metal detecting shovels and some even using hand trowels. One guy was up here visiting and teaching his grand daughter. She had a Garrett Ace. He was actually teaching her how to dig proper holes, pugs and covering them up. A refreshing sight to see. I suspect a total newbie that made an impulse purchase or received one as a gift would give up after 30 minutes in my trashy, trashy parks. Not the fault of the detector, but the operator would likely not have a clue.

It takes a real hobbyist to hunt in trash and dig lots of trash for an occasional good find like a silver or gold ring or bracelet. I am talking maybe once every 3 month and that with hunting at least 10 hours a week over 1 - 3 days. I do it for the exercise and potential finds like a nice chunky .925 Tiffany's bracelet I found about 3 months ago. When I score a find like that, my first impression is oh, it has to be cheap costume jewelry and then it sinks in my gosh, it has a Return to Tiffany and Co heart on it and marked .925. No doubt on that find. My wife wants me to sell it. no way, those finds don't come every day.

so I tend to agree, probably those fair weather guys don't last long and First Texas is in the businesses of selling Bounty Hunter detectors just like Garrett is in the business of selling their Ace line.

but back to the subject of holes in parks. I know the park maintenance guys and they know me. they often ask me questions about what i find, etc. I make it a point to tell them if they see anyone in their park digging holes and not covering them up properly to ask them to leave. Some were surprised that they had the authority to do so and I assured them that they did have such authority.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what salmon eggs have to do with $85 detectors, but since you mentioned it, one should not wipe out salmon nests for a few dollars worth of gold, or even a few thousand dollars of gold, don't you think?

Good points by all, and yes many will lose interest in a short time. I ONLY wanted to mention to Kray that no one has been wiping out salmon nest, we already had MANY rules and reg's in regard's to dredging, and dredging was only allowed at certain times of the year along with permits, just for that reason, to protect both salmon and winter steelhead. I cannot tell you how MANY studies have been done about it, and each showed it actually was beneficial to the fish habitat, time & time again. However, for whatever reason the "Powers to be" decided to ban it completely pretty much here in Oregon because well, after all, California did, so we will to. ALOT more information on this can be had in the mining sub-form, far more and far better then I could explain here. The $85 dollars detectors? A few people have asked me about them, I did say that yes, they WILL find metal, but your very limited, you do get what you pay for. I have directed them to some of our vender sites, where they can see and read about every brand, make and model, but most I believe do not follow up on it. The above detectors I think are viewed more as "toys", and toys do often fall by the way side. And as far as digging holes?, well in some yards, I think a number of fathers might take issue about the type and method of holes being made. Yup, there is NO guarantee that all people who might buy any detector will use basic common sense, or even care, I think we have all seen it. After a number of the pull tabs, foil, caps and junk in general, (after all, the detector does not suck it up out of the ground, you have to get down and push yourself up each time) most people might find this not to be fun. Many the time I've heard, "The machine wasn't working right" because they only found a couple of penny's but mostly junk. Anyway, I've gone on to long. Let's just hope they start with and stay with there own yards and perhaps a sandy beach, at least for awhile BEFORE they venture out to a park or something like that.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a look at Barska - funny thing - the users manual is a total rip-off of the Bounty Hunter 3300 one. One example..

manual section on Barska

https://www.barska.com/media/manuals/Metal_Detector/BE12596_BC436.pdf

Ground Balancing
Before using the ALL METAL mode, it is necessary to “Ground Balance” your detector, this ground balancing adjustment offsets the effects of minerals and salts in the ground.
To GROUND BALANCE your detector:
1. Use the ALL METAL mode to find a patch of ground which is free of metal objects. You will use this section of ground to test the detector. The presence of any metal objects in this area will interfere with this procedure.
2. Lift the search coil waist high in the air.
3. Begin with the ground balance (GND BAL) KNOB in the P position. Rotate slightly the GND BAL knob from P counter clockwise.

BH 3300

Before using the PINPOINT Mode, it is necessary to ‘Ground Balance” your detector, this ground balancing adjustment offsets the effects of minerals and slats in the ground. To GROUND BALANCE your detector: 1. Using the ALL METAL Mode, find a patch of ground which is free of metal objects. You will use this section of ground to test the detector. The presence of any metal objects in this area will interfere with this procedure. 2. Begin with the ground balance KNOB in the PRESET position. 3. Lift the searchcoil waist high in the air.

http://www.detecting.com/manuals/Discovery3300-Rev-4-12.30.14-Reader.pdf

The Barska has a 1 year warranty which requires you to pay shipping both ways and send them $35 inspection charge.

The BH has a 5 year warranty and they pay return shipping.

Last edited:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only ever known Barska as a cheap chinese ripoff of anything.

I know them mostly from their optics. Binoculars, spotting scopes, and rifle scopes.

I've never looked past the pricetag, simply because I don't believe a quality product could possibly be made that cheap.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not too long ago, Walmart was selling metal detectors just before Christmas. I'd bet that many of those were bought on spur of the moment for someone who previously had no interest in metal detecting and eventually ended up collecting dust somewhere.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do people pay to be able to shop at a store.

Weird , they have super large shopping carts that you can only afford to fill the bottom of.

:tongue3:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do people pay to be able to shop at a store.

Weird , they have super large shopping carts that you can only afford to fill the bottom of.

:tongue3:

Because the money you can save over buying the same items at other stores, more than offsets the cost of membership. The money we save on gasoline alone pays for our membership.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points by all, and yes many will lose interest in a short time. I ONLY wanted to mention to Kray that no one has been wiping out salmon nest, we already had MANY rules and reg's in regard's to dredging, and dredging was only allowed at certain times of the year along with permits, just for that reason, to protect both salmon and winter steelhead. I cannot tell you how MANY studies have been done about it, and each showed it actually was beneficial to the fish habitat, time & time again. However, for whatever reason the "Powers to be" decided to ban it completely pretty much here in Oregon because well, after all, California did, so we will to. ALOT more information on this can be had in the mining sub-form, far more and far better then I could explain here. The $85 dollars detectors? A few people have asked me about them, I did say that yes, they WILL find metal, but your very limited, you do get what you pay for. I have directed them to some of our vender sites, where they can see and read about every brand, make and model, but most I believe do not follow up on it. The above detectors I think are viewed more as "toys", and toys do often fall by the way side. And as far as digging holes?, well in some yards, I think a number of fathers might take issue about the type and method of holes being made. Yup, there is NO guarantee that all people who might buy any detector will use basic common sense, or even care, I think we have all seen it. After a number of the pull tabs, foil, caps and junk in general, (after all, the detector does not suck it up out of the ground, you have to get down and push yourself up each time) most people might find this not to be fun. Many the time I've heard, "The machine wasn't working right" because they only found a couple of penny's but mostly junk. Anyway, I've gone on to long. Let's just hope they start with and stay with there own yards and perhaps a sandy beach, at least for awhile BEFORE they venture out to a park or something like that.

I agree on the salmon (and other fish issues) false claims. I used to dredge a bit years ago and found it interesting that the fish would gather in mass behind the outfall of the dredge just waiting to eat whatever edibles we might bring up from the bottom. They loved us being there. Not only that, but, we removed lots of mercury out of those rivers. About 80% of the gold we recovered was coated with it.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well pilgram it looks like i helped create a monster. You are a true MDER. :headbang:

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, in April, you'll see 90% of these machines on Craigslist or at garage sales for $45.00 :laughing7:

This happens EVERY year at Christmas, even with Minelab GPZ and GPX machines! By the end of April, the bargains abound!!:occasion14:

I really hope so, i want one, it is really an f4 $400, for less than a $100, since we are talking does the f2 and f4 coils fit?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You have nothing to worry about so do not get all worked up over nothing.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
DSCN0993.JPG I have Minelab & Garrett Whites & Tesoro...And i know ones that use the Bounty Hunter 3300 and they have made some nice finds with it so don't knock it if you have not used it. It is a really good detector.

Last edited:

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because the money you can save over buying the same items at other stores, more than offsets the cost of membership. The money we save on gasoline alone pays for our membership.

Ya some things are a deal , but years ago when I did go there , I always ended up spending more then I would have at some other large chain store. I blame it on the over sized shopping carts.

Its like the large dinner plate verse the small dinner plate, you always seem to eat more then you should with the large dinner plate. :tongue3:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sprailroad, I know there are regulations, and I don't have a problem with dredgers. Every unseasonal flood dumps tons of silt on salmon nests. It happens. JohnnyBravo sounded upset about rule makers and people getting in other people's business, inconveniencing dredgers that smother salmon eggs. Maybe I read him wrong, if so, I apologize. We need to conserve, and protect our irreplaceable wildlife. Not make it off limits, just use our heads and not be selfish. I agree with all the points you make.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya some things are a deal , but years ago when I did go there , I always ended up spending more then I would have at some other large chain store. I blame it on the over sized shopping carts.

Its like the large dinner plate verse the small dinner plate, you always seem to eat more then you should with the large dinner plate. :tongue3:

And you have to buy a case of everything, or two pack jumbo ketchup, one bottle of which takes a year to go through. If one has a big family, or just a lot of mouths to feed, they're a good deal in the long run, plus they have other stuff at fairly good prices. That said, my membership expired 10 years ago.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned the 3300 before. That price is about what I paid at Radio Shack before they raised the price to almost $300. It's a decent little detector and I sold it for more than I paid for it. I started out with a Lonestar. Proper detecting etiquette has nothing to do with how much you can afford to spend on a detector nor whether or not you will quit using it after a few outings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions