Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Costco can hurt the hobby

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    My biggest gripe is the sporting goods stores and such selling the 40 or 50 dollar toy machines. You got a sales guy that can just barely tell what a detector is saying I don't know, but it's got a manual! Poor folks buy one use it once, it hangs in the closet because they got turned off to detecting first time out. Some of these folks could probably really excel if only they had gotten something besides a toy machine & five minutes or so of instruction. How many of you guys ever step up & offer some help? I try to, you know this machine is $40 more but little Johnny will do better with it & give them a hand for a few minutes. Win win! Sales guy up sells & the people get something they can actually use. That's my biggest gripe!
    Slowtaknow and Kray Gelder like this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    136 times
    Metal Detecting
    Are metal detectors legal in California?
    Oddjob, Keppy, Kray Gelder and 1 others like this.

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    626 times
    The Costco in Apex, NC has a stack of these detectors priced to trigger an impulse purchase. I agree that there will be a ton of them sold during the holiday season and that, for a couple of weeks, every kid in the neighborhood will be out looking for lost treasure. But, as others have said, I doubt that the interest will last much longer than it takes to find a fist full of bottle caps and pull tabs. I also suspect that most folks who buy these detectors will head out with a garden hand spade and won't be willing or able to dig massive holes.

This same Costco has a bunch of cheap quadcopters that will also be impulse purchases. I suspect that the sky will be buzzing with drones for a couple of days until they either crash or get out of range of their controllers and are lost. I don't think air traffic out of RDU will be impacted.

In either case, I'm not blaming Costco for selling a product that will make them a profit any more than I'm willing to blame a car dealership for selling high horsepower cars to the parents of teenagers.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000
    792 times
    Every metal detector I have purchased brand new included a copy of the code of ethics. Your issue should be with those who sell used machines and fail to include the CoE.
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    When detectors are outlawed, only outlaws will have detectors

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2302 times
    I hate to say it but I see many videos and photos here of members making ridiculously large holes in lawns to recover a dime at 5 inches. I recently watched a friend with a new CTX 3030 making huge holes, leaving the trash target in the hole, and failing to replace all the dirt neatly. He had no clue, just wanted to try detecting and nobody told him how to treat lawns or even to take his trash with him. He has every piece of gear you could ask for, just no experience and had nobody to show him the ropes. I doubt he ever read the ethics or recovery pages in his manual, and I doubt many people do so. Being neat has nothing to do with the price of a machine and sadly most people need to be taught about good pin pointing and plug removal and replacement. It is not something readily learned from any code of ethics page in any manuals. If you are making a hole more than 4" in diameter in a lawn to retrieve a coin size target less than 8" deep you need to practice pin pointing and recovery.
    Last edited by gunsil; Nov 19, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27962 times
    Spot on.
    gunsil, Hawks88 and Kray Gelder like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    488 times
    This machine has 4 tones, notch, manual GB...It even has a “zap” button - allowing one target return to be notched out - just the thing to use to remove those pesky 22 rimfire hulls after you have found 4 of them already - or those zinc pennies.

It’s apparently an excellent machine and the original MSRP is about $350.

Run, do not walk to Costco and buy one for anybody who needs a decent machine to start with.

The excellent manual is clear and covers all issues of operation well.

https://www.kotulas.com/wcsstore/Kot.../pdf/25860.pdf
    Slowtaknow and Kray Gelder like this.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby
    160 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    I just saw a Barska brand in the Menards black friday ad for $26.88.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    487 times
    Relic Hunting
    In the past five years hunting my favorite parks I have seen no evidence of anyone leaving holes. I am in Gwinnett county north east of city of Atlanta. I have seen maybe 10 fellow detectorists and met them. They all had mid range or above machines and Lesch or similar small metal detecting shovels and some even using hand trowels. One guy was up here visiting and teaching his grand daughter. She had a Garrett Ace. He was actually teaching her how to dig proper holes, pugs and covering them up. A refreshing sight to see. I suspect a total newbie that made an impulse purchase or received one as a gift would give up after 30 minutes in my trashy, trashy parks. Not the fault of the detector, but the operator would likely not have a clue.

It takes a real hobbyist to hunt in trash and dig lots of trash for an occasional good find like a silver or gold ring or bracelet. I am talking maybe once every 3 month and that with hunting at least 10 hours a week over 1 - 3 days. I do it for the exercise and potential finds like a nice chunky .925 Tiffany's bracelet I found about 3 months ago. When I score a find like that, my first impression is oh, it has to be cheap costume jewelry and then it sinks in my gosh, it has a Return to Tiffany and Co heart on it and marked .925. No doubt on that find. My wife wants me to sell it. no way, those finds don't come every day.

so I tend to agree, probably those fair weather guys don't last long and First Texas is in the businesses of selling Bounty Hunter detectors just like Garrett is in the business of selling their Ace line.

but back to the subject of holes in parks. I know the park maintenance guys and they know me. they often ask me questions about what i find, etc. I make it a point to tell them if they see anyone in their park digging holes and not covering them up properly to ask them to leave. Some were surprised that they had the authority to do so and I assured them that they did have such authority.
    sprailroad and Kray Gelder like this.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    I don't know what salmon eggs have to do with $85 detectors, but since you mentioned it, one should not wipe out salmon nests for a few dollars worth of gold, or even a few thousand dollars of gold, don't you think?
    Good points by all, and yes many will lose interest in a short time. I ONLY wanted to mention to Kray that no one has been wiping out salmon nest, we already had MANY rules and reg's in regard's to dredging, and dredging was only allowed at certain times of the year along with permits, just for that reason, to protect both salmon and winter steelhead. I cannot tell you how MANY studies have been done about it, and each showed it actually was beneficial to the fish habitat, time & time again. However, for whatever reason the "Powers to be" decided to ban it completely pretty much here in Oregon because well, after all, California did, so we will to. ALOT more information on this can be had in the mining sub-form, far more and far better then I could explain here. The $85 dollars detectors? A few people have asked me about them, I did say that yes, they WILL find metal, but your very limited, you do get what you pay for. I have directed them to some of our vender sites, where they can see and read about every brand, make and model, but most I believe do not follow up on it. The above detectors I think are viewed more as "toys", and toys do often fall by the way side. And as far as digging holes?, well in some yards, I think a number of fathers might take issue about the type and method of holes being made. Yup, there is NO guarantee that all people who might buy any detector will use basic common sense, or even care, I think we have all seen it. After a number of the pull tabs, foil, caps and junk in general, (after all, the detector does not suck it up out of the ground, you have to get down and push yourself up each time) most people might find this not to be fun. Many the time I've heard, "The machine wasn't working right" because they only found a couple of penny's but mostly junk. Anyway, I've gone on to long. Let's just hope they start with and stay with there own yards and perhaps a sandy beach, at least for awhile BEFORE they venture out to a park or something like that.
    cudamark and Kray Gelder like this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    488 times
    I had a look at Barska - funny thing - the users manual is a total rip-off of the Bounty Hunter 3300 one. One example..

manual section on Barska

https://www.barska.com/media/manuals...2596_BC436.pdf

Ground Balancing
    Before using the ALL METAL mode, it is necessary to “Ground Balance” your detector, this ground balancing adjustment offsets the effects of minerals and salts in the ground.
    To GROUND BALANCE your detector:
    1. Use the ALL METAL mode to find a patch of ground which is free of metal objects. You will use this section of ground to test the detector. The presence of any metal objects in this area will interfere with this procedure.
    2. Lift the search coil waist high in the air.
    3. Begin with the ground balance (GND BAL) KNOB in the P position. Rotate slightly the GND BAL knob from P counter clockwise.

BH 3300

Before using the PINPOINT Mode, it is necessary to ‘Ground Balance” your detector, this ground balancing adjustment offsets the effects of minerals and slats in the ground. To GROUND BALANCE your detector: 1. Using the ALL METAL Mode, find a patch of ground which is free of metal objects. You will use this section of ground to test the detector. The presence of any metal objects in this area will interfere with this procedure. 2. Begin with the ground balance KNOB in the PRESET position. 3. Lift the searchcoil waist high in the air.

http://www.detecting.com/manuals/Dis....14-Reader.pdf

The Barska has a 1 year warranty which requires you to pay shipping both ways and send them $35 inspection charge.

The BH has a 5 year warranty and they pay return shipping.
    Last edited by Rick K; Nov 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby
    160 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    I've only ever known Barska as a cheap chinese ripoff of anything.

I know them mostly from their optics. Binoculars, spotting scopes, and rifle scopes.

I've never looked past the pricetag, simply because I don't believe a quality product could possibly be made that cheap.
    Oddjob and Kray Gelder like this.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Whites m6 Garrett ATPro
    843 times
    Metal Detecting
    Not too long ago, Walmart was selling metal detectors just before Christmas. I'd bet that many of those were bought on spur of the moment for someone who previously had no interest in metal detecting and eventually ended up collecting dust somewhere.

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Nova Scotia
    Garrett AT Pro International
    3453 times
    Metal Detecting
    Why do people pay to be able to shop at a store.

Weird , they have super large shopping carts that you can only afford to fill the bottom of.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5827 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastmetal View Post
    Why do people pay to be able to shop at a store.

Weird , they have super large shopping carts that you can only afford to fill the bottom of.

Because the money you can save over buying the same items at other stores, more than offsets the cost of membership. The money we save on gasoline alone pays for our membership.
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links