sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me preface my rant by saying that this is just my opinion. I’m sure others will disagree with me and may even have some valid counterpoints, but....

Today I was walking through Costco and happened to see a big stack of metal detectors they had on display. Looking a bit closer I saw that they were Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 models that were selling for 85 bucks, which frankly is a great price for that machine.

I have no issues whatsoever with people being introduced to this great hobby. I am not concerned with people taking one of these machines to one of my honey holes and hunting it out. My issue is this: Nobody gets interested in the hobby, does their research on detectors, and then goes to Costco to buy one. No, the vast majority of these machines will be bought on a whim by someone who walks past the display and thinks, “Oh, look at that. That will be a great Christmas present for Bob.”

These detectors will then be in the hands of someone who never previously had even a thought of swinging a metal detector. And that’s ok, like I said I don’t have an issue with others engaging in this hobby. However they will have no clue about the etiquette that is required in this hobby. THAT is my issue.

So now that Bob has his new Christmas present what will he do? He will run out to the neighborhood park and start putting holes all over the place. Bob won’t have any idea on how to cut a clean plug and to leave no trace. He will be doing this while being watched by others who won’t like Bob leaving holes in their park. And all it takes is one or two loud voices to get rules changed. Of course they won’t understand that Bob’s actions aren’t a representation of all detectorists, but we all can suffer from Bob’s actions.

The particular Costco I was at had 19 machines, and there are two other Costcos in my city they are also selling them, not to mention all of the other Costcos nationwide. There will be a whole lot of Bob’s out there soon.

Yes, I know that Costco has previously sold metal detectors and the world hasn’t come to an end because of it. But get ready folks, in about five weeks there are going to be some holes popping up in your local parks.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542568668.183875.jpg

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprailroad, I know there are regulations, and I don't have a problem with dredgers. Every unseasonal flood dumps tons of silt on salmon nests. It happens. JohnnyBravo sounded upset about rule makers and people getting in other people's business, inconveniencing dredgers that smother salmon eggs. Maybe I read him wrong, if so, I apologize. We need to conserve, and protect our irreplaceable wildlife. Not make it off limits, just use our heads and not be selfish. I agree with all the points you make.

And I to sir, agree with yours.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the money you can save over buying the same items at other stores, more than offsets the cost of membership. The money we save on gasoline alone pays for our membership.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I need a one gallon tub of Miracle Whip :laughing7:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was just making a point that mders have the same obstacles as prospectors. It only takes a few bad to ruin it for everyone, the same reason businesses dont accept personal checks anymore.
A few bad apples can ruin the fun and even if it's a bogus claim (like the salmon eggs), there are still those that cant wait to make a new law about it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are metal detectors legal in California?
Yeah! As long as they have the stupid warning sticker saying the materials in the detector are known to cause cancer. :laughing7::tongue3: I'm surprised they don't have a bunch saying the RF will fry you, and digging in dirt has a laundry list of hazards. Still waiting for the sticker saying staring at the meter will cause you to go cross eyed.:tongue3:

Those stickers are reminders that no matter how dumb or s tupid or uneducated you think you are there's someone worse off than you and they're all in Sacramento in the capitol building............

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I heard a cali politician saying that they need to make laws against people living in the woods and that everyone should be in the cities. He was repeating the usual global warming trigger phrases and basically saying that if there were more laws the fires wouldn't happen hehe. You cant just make this kind of stupid up.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess they're all out of them now...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya some things are a deal , but years ago when I did go there , I always ended up spending more then I would have at some other large chain store. I blame it on the over sized shopping carts.

Its like the large dinner plate verse the small dinner plate, you always seem to eat more then you should with the large dinner plate. :tongue3:

Now you're talking self control, that a different issue! :laughing7: That's like the people who want to sue McDonalds for making them fat! You naturally have to pick and choose what makes sense to buy. Some items are just too large a quantity to use before they spoil. In some cases, we split larger quantities with family and/or friends. Where else can you get a good sized roasted chicken, already cooked and ready to eat for $4.99? I can't make one myself for that price when you consider the price of a similar size chicken, spices, cost of running the oven and rotisserie, plus the time and effort to due so. Another plus that I use, is the free samples. I can eat lunch there for nothing (assuming you can control your buying impulses!) with all the samples they're cooking on some days/times. :icon_thumright:

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....And that's why I'm gonna pick a more legal hobby, like serial killer :)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what salmon eggs have to do with $85 detectors, but since you mentioned it, one should not wipe out salmon nests for a few dollars worth of gold, or even a few thousand dollars of gold, don't you think?
Eat the eggs take the gold!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just making a point that mders have the same obstacles as prospectors. It only takes a few bad to ruin it for everyone, the same reason businesses dont accept personal checks anymore.
A few bad apples can ruin the fun and even if it's a bogus claim (like the salmon eggs), there are still those that cant wait to make a new law about it.

If it was a bogus claim, I take it all back. Who claims it's bogus?...ah, never mind.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where have you been, Dude? Thought maybe you had been "disappeared."

Some computer issues, upgrades etc, well, basically built a new PC and the auto login for this forum was on my old PC, couldn't find my login info that I had wrote down , then cleaned house and found it a bit ago... :tongue3:

Plus sometimes the brain just needs a rest from information over load. 8-)

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah! As long as they have the stupid warning sticker saying the materials in the detector are known to cause cancer. I'm surprised they don't have a bunch saying the RF will fry you, and digging in dirt has a laundry list of hazards. Still waiting for the sticker saying staring at the meter will cause you to go cross eyed.

OK, I'm not saying we deliberately do bad things to stupid people. I'm just suggesting that we take off all the labels and let nature take its course.

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Sdc 2300, gold monster 1000 gpx 6000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To bad there isn’t a hand out in each box with some basic metal detecting principals.
Give a list of basic dos and donts. Just mention 3 times FILL YOUR HOLES!.
To bad couldn’t get Costco to tape one to each box. Cover basics for newbies, even maybe plug digging tenique etc.
I haven’t had enough time to swing in ages but I picture this really being a great way to get more in the hobby, yet more digging massive holes for pennies etc and walking away leaving it open and causing more “no metal detecting” signs to go up.
I wonder if cost corporate would agree to add something like this to each box.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I would bet money that half those detectors go to kids and wind up on a beach vacation, get wet with salt water and thrown in a closet until next Year when they discover they no longer work.

Recently I contacted my niece to ask her what her son (my grandnephew) wanted for Christmas . She told me absolutely no video games, and that he is much too addicted to them and needs to get outside (he’s 7) so being the awesome great uncle I am, I got him a bounty hunter 1500 from metal detectors .com. It came with a little digger and a magnifying glass.
My grand nephew at an early age was intrigued with the sinking of the titanic and can tell you just about anything you want to know about the ship and the sinking so I think the metal detector will be a good fit for him. I guess my point is that maybe, just maybe these Costco machine will be bought for kids who already have a good acumen for navigating the internet and searching for hunt sights. I think the etiquette will come with experience or they will be taught by parents that are experienced detectors

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread