Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Costco can hurt the hobby

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5827 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    Good points by all, and yes many will lose interest in a short time. I ONLY wanted to mention to Kray that no one has been wiping out salmon nest, we already had MANY rules and reg's in regard's to dredging, and dredging was only allowed at certain times of the year along with permits, just for that reason, to protect both salmon and winter steelhead. I cannot tell you how MANY studies have been done about it, and each showed it actually was beneficial to the fish habitat, time & time again. However, for whatever reason the "Powers to be" decided to ban it completely pretty much here in Oregon because well, after all, California did, so we will to. ALOT more information on this can be had in the mining sub-form, far more and far better then I could explain here. The $85 dollars detectors? A few people have asked me about them, I did say that yes, they WILL find metal, but your very limited, you do get what you pay for. I have directed them to some of our vender sites, where they can see and read about every brand, make and model, but most I believe do not follow up on it. The above detectors I think are viewed more as "toys", and toys do often fall by the way side. And as far as digging holes?, well in some yards, I think a number of fathers might take issue about the type and method of holes being made. Yup, there is NO guarantee that all people who might buy any detector will use basic common sense, or even care, I think we have all seen it. After a number of the pull tabs, foil, caps and junk in general, (after all, the detector does not suck it up out of the ground, you have to get down and push yourself up each time) most people might find this not to be fun. Many the time I've heard, "The machine wasn't working right" because they only found a couple of penny's but mostly junk. Anyway, I've gone on to long. Let's just hope they start with and stay with there own yards and perhaps a sandy beach, at least for awhile BEFORE they venture out to a park or something like that.
    I agree on the salmon (and other fish issues) false claims. I used to dredge a bit years ago and found it interesting that the fish would gather in mass behind the outfall of the dredge just waiting to eat whatever edibles we might bring up from the bottom. They loved us being there. Not only that, but, we removed lots of mercury out of those rivers. About 80% of the gold we recovered was coated with it.
    Oddjob, Kray Gelder and sprailroad like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Oct 2006
    2439 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Well pilgram it looks like i helped create a monster. You are a true MDER.

us
    Oct 2015
    Kannapolis nc
    Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero
    180 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Well, in April, you'll see 90% of these machines on Craigslist or at garage sales for $45.00

This happens EVERY year at Christmas, even with Minelab GPZ and GPX machines! By the end of April, the bargains abound!!
    I really hope so, i want one, it is really an f4 $400, for less than a $100, since we are talking does the f2 and f4 coils fit?
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2593 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    You have nothing to worry about so do not get all worked up over nothing.
    Kray Gelder and T.C. like this.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2593 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0993.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	1653423I have Minelab & Garrett Whites & Tesoro...And i know ones that use the Bounty Hunter 3300 and they have made some nice finds with it so don't knock it if you have not used it. It is a really good detector.
    Last edited by Keppy; Nov 19, 2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Kray Gelder and T.C. like this.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Nova Scotia
    Garrett AT Pro International
    3453 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Because the money you can save over buying the same items at other stores, more than offsets the cost of membership. The money we save on gasoline alone pays for our membership.
    Ya some things are a deal , but years ago when I did go there , I always ended up spending more then I would have at some other large chain store. I blame it on the over sized shopping carts.

Its like the large dinner plate verse the small dinner plate, you always seem to eat more then you should with the large dinner plate.
    Kray Gelder and Keppy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3670 times
    Metal Detecting
    Sprailroad, I know there are regulations, and I don't have a problem with dredgers. Every unseasonal flood dumps tons of silt on salmon nests. It happens. JohnnyBravo sounded upset about rule makers and people getting in other people's business, inconveniencing dredgers that smother salmon eggs. Maybe I read him wrong, if so, I apologize. We need to conserve, and protect our irreplaceable wildlife. Not make it off limits, just use our heads and not be selfish. I agree with all the points you make.
    sprailroad likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3670 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastmetal View Post
    Why do people pay to be able to shop at a store.

Weird , they have super large shopping carts that you can only afford to fill the bottom of.

Where have you been, Dude? Thought maybe you had been "disappeared."

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3670 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastmetal View Post
    Ya some things are a deal , but years ago when I did go there , I always ended up spending more then I would have at some other large chain store. I blame it on the over sized shopping carts.

Its like the large dinner plate verse the small dinner plate, you always seem to eat more then you should with the large dinner plate.
    And you have to buy a case of everything, or two pack jumbo ketchup, one bottle of which takes a year to go through. If one has a big family, or just a lot of mouths to feed, they're a good deal in the long run, plus they have other stuff at fairly good prices. That said, my membership expired 10 years ago.
    Keppy and EastCoastmetal like this.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9651 times
    I've owned the 3300 before. That price is about what I paid at Radio Shack before they raised the price to almost $300. It's a decent little detector and I sold it for more than I paid for it. I started out with a Lonestar. Proper detecting etiquette has nothing to do with how much you can afford to spend on a detector nor whether or not you will quit using it after a few outings.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    14169 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    There at my Costco in A2 mich also!!!!!
    Kray Gelder and Oddjob like this.
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    15339 times
    Metal Detecting
    The only Costco I know of is in the ghetto of New Orleans. I wonder how many will sell there?
    Oddjob, Kray Gelder and A2coins like this.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Sprailroad, I know there are regulations, and I don't have a problem with dredgers. Every unseasonal flood dumps tons of silt on salmon nests. It happens. JohnnyBravo sounded upset about rule makers and people getting in other people's business, inconveniencing dredgers that smother salmon eggs. Maybe I read him wrong, if so, I apologize. We need to conserve, and protect our irreplaceable wildlife. Not make it off limits, just use our heads and not be selfish. I agree with all the points you make.
    And I to sir, agree with yours.
    Kray Gelder and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000
    792 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Because the money you can save over buying the same items at other stores, more than offsets the cost of membership. The money we save on gasoline alone pays for our membership.
    I'll keep that in mind the next time I need a one gallon tub of Miracle Whip
    When detectors are outlawed, only outlaws will have detectors

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1513 times
    Prospecting
    I was just making a point that mders have the same obstacles as prospectors. It only takes a few bad to ruin it for everyone, the same reason businesses dont accept personal checks anymore.
    A few bad apples can ruin the fun and even if it's a bogus claim (like the salmon eggs), there are still those that cant wait to make a new law about it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links