Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Costco can hurt the hobby

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Are metal detectors legal in California?
    Yeah! As long as they have the stupid warning sticker saying the materials in the detector are known to cause cancer. I'm surprised they don't have a bunch saying the RF will fry you, and digging in dirt has a laundry list of hazards. Still waiting for the sticker saying staring at the meter will cause you to go cross eyed.

Those stickers are reminders that no matter how dumb or s tupid or uneducated you think you are there's someone worse off than you and they're all in Sacramento in the capitol building............
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1514 times
    Prospecting
    I heard a cali politician saying that they need to make laws against people living in the woods and that everyone should be in the cities. He was repeating the usual global warming trigger phrases and basically saying that if there were more laws the fires wouldn't happen hehe. You cant just make this kind of stupid up.
    Last edited by Johnnybravo300; Nov 21, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    2221 times
    I posted this in an earlier thread today and thought I'd mention it here too. I stopped at our Costco and asked if they had any metal detectors left and the associate said he would bring down the last pallet.

Here's what happened when he did...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/forklift-d...220518470.html

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    2221 times
    Guess they're all out of them now...
    trdking likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5833 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastmetal View Post
    Ya some things are a deal , but years ago when I did go there , I always ended up spending more then I would have at some other large chain store. I blame it on the over sized shopping carts.

Its like the large dinner plate verse the small dinner plate, you always seem to eat more then you should with the large dinner plate.

Now you're talking self control, that a different issue! That's like the people who want to sue McDonalds for making them fat! You naturally have to pick and choose what makes sense to buy. Some items are just too large a quantity to use before they spoil. In some cases, we split larger quantities with family and/or friends. Where else can you get a good sized roasted chicken, already cooked and ready to eat for $4.99? I can't make one myself for that price when you consider the price of a similar size chicken, spices, cost of running the oven and rotisserie, plus the time and effort to due so. Another plus that I use, is the free samples. I can eat lunch there for nothing (assuming you can control your buying impulses!) with all the samples they're cooking on some days/times.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Aug 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Garrett Ace350, NOX 800
    29 times
    .....And that's why I'm gonna pick a more legal hobby, like serial killer
    Oddjob and sjvalleyhunter like this.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    I don't know what salmon eggs have to do with $85 detectors, but since you mentioned it, one should not wipe out salmon nests for a few dollars worth of gold, or even a few thousand dollars of gold, don't you think?
    Eat the eggs take the gold!
    Oddjob likes this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3671 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    I was just making a point that mders have the same obstacles as prospectors. It only takes a few bad to ruin it for everyone, the same reason businesses dont accept personal checks anymore.
    A few bad apples can ruin the fun and even if it's a bogus claim (like the salmon eggs), there are still those that cant wait to make a new law about it.
    If it was a bogus claim, I take it all back. Who claims it's bogus?...ah, never mind.
    Oddjob likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Nova Scotia
    Garrett AT Pro International
    3459 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Where have you been, Dude? Thought maybe you had been "disappeared."
    Some computer issues, upgrades etc, well, basically built a new PC and the auto login for this forum was on my old PC, couldn't find my login info that I had wrote down , then cleaned house and found it a bit ago...

Plus sometimes the brain just needs a rest from information over load.

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    626 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    Yeah! As long as they have the stupid warning sticker saying the materials in the detector are known to cause cancer. I'm surprised they don't have a bunch saying the RF will fry you, and digging in dirt has a laundry list of hazards. Still waiting for the sticker saying staring at the meter will cause you to go cross eyed.
    OK, I'm not saying we deliberately do bad things to stupid people. I'm just suggesting that we take off all the labels and let nature take its course.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

Charter Member
    us
    Me

Jan 2018
    So-Cal
    Owned working to much to use, AT PRO, AT GOLD, Xterra 705, ACE 350, and some others.. I need to reduce!
    63 times
    To bad there isn’t a hand out in each box with some basic metal detecting principals.
    Give a list of basic dos and donts. Just mention 3 times FILL YOUR HOLES!.
    To bad couldn’t get Costco to tape one to each box. Cover basics for newbies, even maybe plug digging tenique etc.
    I haven’t had enough time to swing in ages but I picture this really being a great way to get more in the hobby, yet more digging massive holes for pennies etc and walking away leaving it open and causing more “no metal detecting” signs to go up.
    I wonder if cost corporate would agree to add something like this to each box.

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT Max, Garrett carrot, Detech 15x12, 4.5” SS and a couple of shovels
    1103 times
    Relic Hunting
    I would bet money that half those detectors go to kids and wind up on a beach vacation, get wet with salt water and thrown in a closet until next Year when they discover they no longer work.

Recently I contacted my niece to ask her what her son (my grandnephew) wanted for Christmas . She told me absolutely no video games, and that he is much too addicted to them and needs to get outside (he’s 7) so being the awesome great uncle I am, I got him a bounty hunter 1500 from metal detectors .com. It came with a little digger and a magnifying glass.
    My grand nephew at an early age was intrigued with the sinking of the titanic and can tell you just about anything you want to know about the ship and the sinking so I think the metal detector will be a good fit for him. I guess my point is that maybe, just maybe these Costco machine will be bought for kids who already have a good acumen for navigating the internet and searching for hunt sights. I think the etiquette will come with experience or they will be taught by parents that are experienced detectors

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links