Bought Metal Detector from Ebay..

MJG1492

Nov 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I bought a Whites Treasure Pro used like new on Ebay. The person shipped it as if he didn't have a care in the world. He reversed the Whites box then just throw in it the box in pieces loose in the box. The lower shaft is scratched up and coil looks okay. He did at least bubble wrap the screen but it was right next to the coil going back and forth in the box. I'm kind of new and called my local shop to see if they would test it out for a fee but they want nothing to do with me since I didn't buy off them. Kind of upset was very excited and paid $37 to have it shipped. Should I cut my losses and return it?

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro for sale in the charter ads section if you decide to return it. It works perfectly and I’ll pack it nicely for you. Good luck.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a business they don’t want to get involved. I wouldn’t either. Take it out and see how it works for you. As long as the display,coil and cable are intact there isn’t a whole lot more to go wrong with it. If you are COIN hunting in public places,it might be a long day with that machine. I don’t own an Equinox from Minelab but just about everyone says it’s the cats meow,I’d return that one and just buy a new Equinox 600,if money isnt an issue. They’re about 550 I believe...the Equinox 800 sports more features and adjustability,depends on what you need. Those are in the 750-ish range I think? The Treasure Pro is basically “entry level”, while the Equinoxs are keeping pace with machines 1000$ and higher for a lot of stuff. Better to buy something you’ll actually have success with to keep you interested and in the game. JMHO...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell on Ebay no such thing as a no return policy ebay will take money from his acc and give back to you. If you choose

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Return it out of principle because that would of pissed me off. Perfect entry level detector is the AT Pro. See if redcobra will hold it for you.

Personal opinion I’m not even sure if Whites will still be in business soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MJG1492

Nov 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to sleep on it. Would love to get a Garrett but thought the treasure pro was better then the Ace 400. The AT Pro will be my first choice. Just hate returning it but he tried to get away with the cheapest way possible to get it to me. I paid him a good amount in shipping and he clearly didn't us it on packing materials. Don't have a lot a faith that it's okay since the batteries got knocked out but might as well test it out I guess.

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother once bought a pretty expensive scan tool for his auto repair business at the time,and the seller shipped it to him in a beat up Dr. Pepper 12 pack box. We must have laughed for an hour when it showed up! Needless to say,it went back...in a better box.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you decide to return it, don't write "FRAGILE" on the box. It doesn't work out well for me...

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
So I bought a Whites Treasure Pro used like new on Ebay. The person shipped it as if he didn't have a care in the world. He reversed the Whites box then just throw in it the box in pieces loose in the box. The lower shaft is scratched up and coil looks okay. He did at least bubble wrap the screen but it was right next to the coil going back and forth in the box. I'm kind of new and called my local shop to see if they would test it out for a fee but they want nothing to do with me since I didn't buy off them. Kind of upset was very excited and paid $37 to have it shipped. Should I cut my losses and return it?

Sounds like you got a decent deal if it works properly.

Have you tried reaching out to Kellyco.
https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/repair-center

Or look at the whites website for a tech near you.

Also Kellyco has some good deals on machines often.

If it where my machine I would have it checked out, not send it back if it works. Decent machine that you can have fun with or keep as a spare until you up grade.

OP
OP
M

MJG1492

Nov 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far it seems to be okay. I cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol and took off the coil cover. It has a slight odor like cigars or something...My little girl loves to touch stuff so thought it was wise to alcohol it. Bedsides a few scratches it's in good shape but will do more extensive testing. He paid $18.70 to ship it and charged me $37.75. If everything checks out over the next few days I will keep it and upgrade later. But feel it's fair to ask for half the shipping back for the scratches.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Whites with the serial number. If the machine is less than two years in age (and a legit machine) the remaining warranty will transfer to you. Were it me, I would definitely demand the difference in shipping (what you paid vs what it actually cost).

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you decide to return it, don't write "FRAGILE" on the box. It doesn't work out well for me...

I quit marking bottles "Fragile" when I ship them.....seems like it makes it a target!!!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Oddjob keep it and try it. And if you do send it back I agree Don’t put Fragile on any package ever. I did on 2 occasions and both times the contents were damaged. My wife and I went to the border to pick up a package after dinner last year and as we waited for them to give us our package we watched the night shift crew play football with lots a packages. Some landed on the floor and some bounced off the rubber conveyor belt.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
So far it seems to be okay. I cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol and took off the coil cover. It has a slight odor like cigars or something...My little girl loves to touch stuff so thought it was wise to alcohol it. Bedsides a few scratches it's in good shape but will do more extensive testing. He paid $18.70 to ship it and charged me $37.75. If everything checks out over the next few days I will keep it and upgrade later. But feel it's fair to ask for half the shipping back for the scratches.

Started my two older kids off at around 6 MDing, they are now 11 and 15 on their own and loving it. My two younger ones are 5 and 3, just started them off, but only going with me, using the shovel in sand, working the pin pointer. They both love it.

I am sure if your girl is young enough, then she will enjoy it and keep you young.

OP
OP
M

MJG1492

Nov 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did call Whites and the serial # checked out okay. It was bought from serious detecting but no warranty card was on file. Right now it's looking like he got lucky it wasn't damaged. Thanks everyone for the help and in the spirt of the holidays I have decided I will keep it and sell it later on.

Last edited:

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a ebay whites beach hunter id and just got it back from White's. It was leaking and put a new box/cover on it & replaced toggle swicth. I paid too much and with the 150.00 paid to White's I still got it cheaper than new. "Buyer beware on ebay".
At least the water was fresh water :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread