My first detector ... narrowed down

Mikebuild

Greenie
Nov 12, 2018
Washington state
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all ... thanks for the help on my previous posts!

After looking around a bit, l think i know what i want. A detector thats waterproof, wireless, multi frequency, interchangeable heads and notch discrimination. The NOX 800 fits that bill. Before i commit to this detector, thought I'd ask, "are there any other machines that compare, at the same price point?"

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope and I just sold my CTX to buy another NOX 800 as a back-up to my other NOX 800 Thanks Fort Bedford detectors for a great deal!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Anfibio looks interesting too. Same price point.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NO. There is no machine on Earth - at this time - that is a better all around metal detector than the Minelab Equinox 800. :skullflag:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

After looking around a bit, l think i know what i want. A detector thats waterproof, wireless, multi frequency, interchangeable heads and notch discrimination. The NOX 800 fits that bill. Before i commit to this detector, thought I'd ask, "are there any other machines that compare, at the same price point?"

Thanks again!

your first detector? well you did your research pretty good. Did they tell there is a healthy learning curve. So now you will have two of them: 1) metal detecting in general and 2) learning the nox 800. Don't be too surprised if you find the 800 real chatty in trashy areas. But if you like to study and learn then the nox will give you quite an education before you master it. Yes you can use the standard modes but those can be real chatty. Learn from the MD forums and youtube videos. plenty of info on the 800. 600 is good, 800 is better.

I went from an AT Pro to the Nox 800 and found I had a lot to still learn about metal detecting.

good luck with the 800. I would buy it over again.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great detector. But a great first detector?

Set up a test garden of some buried and marked coins and targets (golf tees are good) and practice, practice, practice.

A Maserati Quattroporte is a great car, but maybe not a great first car. Too much too soon. Don't get frustrated and take it slow and easy until you learn the unit AND the techniques. I'd recommend digging everything rather than jumping into masks and notches until you get some time on the machine.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just turn the gain down to 15 or so and let it do its thang.

Any detector will take time to learn and TBH the Eq can be a VERY user friendly machine even for a noob to use with the presets. Plus theres a ton of info on the web if you get stuck trying to figure something out.

OP
OP
M

Mikebuild

Greenie
Nov 12, 2018
Washington state
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, gooood info.

After reading some more, i still believe the nox 800 to be the best fit for my needs ...but , i agree, the learning curve may be a bit much.
So I chickened out and went with the AT Max. This should allow me to work up to the nox . Ordered it this AM. Taking it to Scottsdale for a couple weeks. Now i need to figure out where to go hunt ... sure theres lots.

TheEquinoxHunter

Nov 22, 2018
TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 (Main), Equinox 600(water machine), Anfibio Multi, F75+, T2SE, (Old Faithful) (Co Main), BHLRP, ACE 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks again!

You will love it

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to be a learning curve there too but i hope you like it!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first detector! The Max is probably an easier detector to get started with over the 800. Both are great machines.

I recommend scouting out some sand or mulch type playground areas to learn your machine. Maybe stick with coin mode. Get comfortable with the tones, vdi and pinpointing before heading off into the wild. Gain some confidence and learn some nuances each time out. Have patience and enjoy the hobby!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you are in Washington state. The 800 is the way to go. If you weren't near some gold I'd say 600 but where you are spend the little extra and you'll have a machine you can grow into. Enjoy n look forward to you posting some coins and gold nuggets!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck getting your coil over a target is the main thing go to a dealer try em all out ask questions youll be fine and have fun

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the the new ATMax...GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread