OP
OP
madmantrapper

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. I fooled with it a little at the end of my driveway and it would not stop squawking. I'll have to see if I can figure out the settings.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should work fine as soon as you turn it on. Like the manual says, you don't want to fire it up near any metal. Try it over a grassy area.......and see what happens.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd start at a small park that allows detecting. That should give you a feel for the different sounds and targets. Go low and slow. Post us some finds. Good luck.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When i think of the end of a driveway i picture a bunch of overhanging power lines and transformers producing EMI. Try getting in an open area away from anything electrical and or phones.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Watch a few YouTube videos on the machine, read the manual a few times and go to a school play area...have fun! :occasion14:

Good Luck with your new machine! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
madmantrapper

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I took the MD out in the yard for awhile today. I kept getting signals indicating silver and a very high pitch. I found nothing. My yard is 4 acres, nearest power-lines are about five hundred yards away to the north. The yard was a pasture until about 1985. Low pitches and iron indications produced nails and screws, mostly shallow from different projects around the place. Signals indicating aluminum produced either nothing or an occasional hunk of flashing material maybe the size on a quarter. I did not make any adjustments to anything like the ground balance or disc setting. Just to make sure everything was at the defaults, I turned it on holding the mode button like the manual said. How long did it take you folks to master your equipment. I feel like I don't have a clue what I am doing.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to an elementary school playground that has mulch. You will get lots of coins and maybe some jewelry signals. Best place to learn IMO, then hit your yard. At this point You’ll know what a legit signal sounds like. Good luck and have fun

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Lay out different coins about 18” apart on signal free ground and swing the coil over them even with the ground. Don’t pendulum swing.
Take note of the tone and numbers each coin creates and do the same with some test objects like silver and gold rings.
Also take note of the tones they make and the TID (Target ID). Do the same with any artifacts or relics that you’re interested in finding.
Soon you’ll be on your way to knowing what you’re looking for by recognizing the tones and TID of various objects.
Best of luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread