His and hers detectors

Tarcher

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Husband and wife both looking to purchase two Minelab 800’s as we see numerous mutual benefits. We are beginners here and understand the learning curve may be a tad steep but we both would rather grow into a machine as to grow out of one. However, are we missing something ...is there any wisdom to having different machines say a low cost/high cost or different makers ...specialties, capabilities. Appreciate any thought and suggestions.

I

Upvote 0

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Husband and wife both looking to purchase two Minelab 800’s as we see numerous mutual benefits. We are beginners here and understand the learning curve may be a tad steep but we both would rather grow into a machine as to grow out of one. However, are we missing something ...is there any wisdom to having different machines say a low cost/high cost or different makers ...specialties, capabilities. Appreciate any thought and suggestions.

Tarcher...

I completely agree with your line of thinking! Grow into it instead of out of it.

If it were me...I'd get the 800 and another Similar Unit...Sometimes one picks up what another misses.

Kace

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, Welcome to Tnet! Next, what type of detecting do you do? As in, what do you hunt for? Where? Land? Water? Ocean? Prospecting? Etc.....

OP
OP
T

Tarcher

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, Welcome to Tnet! Next, what type of detecting do you do? As in, what do you hunt for? Where? Land? Water? Ocean? Prospecting? Etc.....

Well we live in rural west Tennessee so farm land and old homes would be our most immediate activity we also vacation along the east coast so the beach and shallow water a real possibility. I grew up in a beach area so familiar with beach combing using a homemade manual sifter ...don’t see them any more.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret at is a killier relic and coin machine go to a dealer try them see the controls talk with a rep there are so many machines its like asking advice on a car to buy most all will do well med price ones 600 ish

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Mi Tommy

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox detectors should meet those needs quite well. In fact, I can't think of a better machine for that combination of uses. A Deus might be a bit better in heavy iron, but, it's not waterproof or near as good at a salt water beach. A CTX would be a good choice too, but, it's a lot heavier (albeit better balanced), it costs a LOT more, and it has a slower processor.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret at is a killier relic and coin machine go to a dealer try them see the controls talk with a rep there are so many machines its like asking advice on a car to buy most all will do well med price ones 600 ish

The Garrett AT series are not good salt water beach machines. The Equinox goes deeper with better I.D. and is better in iron than the AT's also. For the relatively similar price, there is no reason to buy an AT over an Equinox.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox has several hunting modes, each sounds and works like different detectors. You could run Park1 and your wife run Field2 and hit the same area to cover most potential targets. The Equinox is usable by beginners, but can easily be overwhelming. If you had someone go out with you the first time, it would be very helpful. Then post in the Brands forum to Minelab Equinox any questions and issues you encounter, we will help. Good luck and have fun!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Tarcher! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE).

2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if it's an issue with the nox series but having two detectors of the same frequencies could cause issues. The tesoro vaquero has a .2 shift so if two are nearby one can switch and continue without problem.

OP
OP
T

Tarcher

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks to you folks and the forum threads I think we have done our homework ...only remaining questions do we wait until Xmas or just di it ! Anyone done any business with a site called Serious Detecting don’t recall them in the treasurenet Sponcers listing..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if it's an issue with the nox series but having two detectors of the same frequencies could cause issues. The tesoro vaquero has a .2 shift so if two are nearby one can switch and continue without problem.

That isn't an issue with an Equinox. You just fire up both machines and hit the noise cancel on each one while they're close to each other.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks to you folks and the forum threads I think we have done our homework ...only remaining questions do we wait until Xmas or just di it ! Anyone done any business with a site called Serious Detecting don’t recall them in the treasurenet Sponcers listing..

Unless you just NEED to open your presents on Christmas, why wait? You might be missing some great finds in the mean time.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think Serious Detecting in MI is Andy Sabich's business. He's a detector ace who has written a lot of detector books and I have friends who liked buying from his company.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! My 2 cents 2 lincolns not one coin. I like the way you are thinking, however I started with the Minelab CTX The learning curve for me as a noob almost discouraged me from continuing Had I started with say an AT Pro which gets you hunting successfully fast I would have been pounding more dirt more frequently. Starting out with a Minicab is like waking up to play baseball against the Giants. Start lower get some success under your belt and then play with a MineLab a little at a time. Get one of each and trade off. You will never regret having an AT Pro or equal

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum from SoCal.
Your choice of two 800's are perfect IMHO. From your first post I believe it would be a good match.
I've ordered from Serious more than once with zero problems but please consider purchasing from one of our TreasureNet sponsors.
Good luck to you both.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! My 2 cents 2 lincolns not one coin. I like the way you are thinking, however I started with the Minelab CTX The learning curve for me as a noob almost discouraged me from continuing Had I started with say an AT Pro which gets you hunting successfully fast I would have been pounding more dirt more frequently. Starting out with a Minicab is like waking up to play baseball against the Giants. Start lower get some success under your belt and then play with a MineLab a little at a time. Get one of each and trade off. You will never regret having an AT Pro or equal

The Equinox is a simple to use machine. The stock settings in each mode can get you started in seconds. Just pick your mode, adjust the sensitivity and start hunting. It's that simple. In difficult areas due to EMI, ground mineralization, heavy trash, etc, you have the ability (unlike many other machines) to adjust the machine to help compensate for them. In other words, for a beginner, just because you are ABLE to make things complicated, doesn't mean you MUST make it complicated. Once you get a few dozen hours on the machine, you'll feel more comfortable and confident to make some tweaks to optimize the machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions