Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably only the display needs to be bagged. I believe the coil is waterproof as is the rest of the detector. Do more research like calling one of our sponsors to ask that question. Good luck!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The right way to water proof a minelab is to buy an Excalibur or CTX 3030.
I got caught in the rain with my Etrac and found out that it really doesn't like water.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make rain hood kits for those machines. Just look on Ebay. The coils should be waterproof.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a control cover for my Minelab 705 for general detecting. If its raining out or I get caught in it; I place those quart zip lock bags, as rook3434 said over the control box and secure with a twist-tie. IMHO: If you hunt by tone and use the "DD wiggle method" to pin point, as I do, you need not have to worry about reading the screen or pressing buttons.

phrunt

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind a lot of X-terra coils are only water resistant, not waterproof, rain will be OK obviously but don't go dunking them in the water until you know if it's a waterproof coil

X-TERRA 10.5-inch Double-D - 7.5 kHz

This medium frequency (7.5 kHz) lightweight water resistant Double-D coil has excellent ground coverage and good depth on most targets. Being a Double-D makes it ideal in areas high in ground mineralisation.

Compatible with X-TERRA: 705, 705 Gold Pack, 505, 305, 70, 50. 30

Part No. 3011-0102

X-TERRA 10.5-inch Double-D - 18.75 kHz

This high frequency (18.75 kHz) lightweight water resistant Double-D coil is more sensitive to small gold nuggets and fine jewellery and has excellent ground coverage. Being a Double-D makes it ideal in areas high in ground mineralisation.

Compatible with X-TERRA: 705, 705 Gold Pack, 505, 305, 70, 50

Part No. 3011-0103

X-TERRA 10 x 5-inch Double-D Coil - 18.75 kHz

The standard X-TERRA 705 Gold Pack coil is high frequency (18.75 kHz) lightweight water resistant Double-D coil. It is very sensitive to small gold nuggets and fine jewellery and has excellent ground coverage. Being a Double-D makes it ideal in areas high in ground mineralisation.

Compatible with X-TERRA: 705, 705 Gold Pack, 505, 305, 70, 50

Part No. 3011-0101

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Sandwich bags work great as long as you don't poke a hole in it accidentally. I used to slip one over my control box and hunt before i got my rain guard for mine. Never had an issue, but i hunt mostly in open areas where a stick/twig won't have a chance to snag on the bag.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The right way to water proof a minelab is to buy an Excalibur or CTX 3030.
I got caught in the rain with my Etrac and found out that it really doesn't like water.

Or Equinox...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I made one for my 705 out of one of these and some silicone...it worked ok. You just ground balanced and set it up/turned it on then shut the lid. (I never used the pinpointer button or looked at the display that much) I would show it to you but it melted in a house fire.

il_570xN.1121442715_df1t.jpg
kraft-singles-cheese-container-new-clear-plastic-snap-lid_301255833377.jpg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandwich bags work great as long as you don't poke a hole in it accidentally. I used to slip one over my control box and hunt before i got my rain guard for mine. Never had an issue, but i hunt mostly in open areas where a stick/twig won't have a chance to snag on the bag.

Sandwich bags are made for sandwiches.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Sandwich bags are made for sandwiches.
you have to have a creative mind when you want to detect and don't have anything to keep the water out. And it works. Some fit like a glove. A sandwich bag fits over a whites dfx control box perfectly.

My etrac has the rain guard and the camo cover for the grip. I don't have to use the baggies anymore, but my father in law still has the dfx and uses sandwich bags when it is wet outside. He has never had any issues. Again, field hunting is what we do the most. The woods, i wouldn't recommend.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You know, reading this thread I have been getting an idea. I use a CTX 3030 now but in the past I used a whites PI Dual Field and I always loved the box and thick oring that sealed perfect every time. I never had to worry if I got it sealed up. Never got a drop of water in the housing. I am thinking since I am never absolutely sure I got the battery pack on the CTX seated just right so I put 3 ziploc bags around the battery pack and over the housing of the CTX and then use electrical tape. Now I am thinking that there must be someone out there that can create a mold to fit the entire battery housing that I can snap into place with an oring so it will enclose the entire back of the CTX- something with the same style as the whites pi df housing or like the waterproof boxes that the GoPro goes in. I will talk to my wife and brother in law, they own a thermoplastic fabrication company so I bet they can mold something. I am thinking maybe a ring type snap where it grabs the back part of the CTX. I will have to run this idea by some other people and see. Well, once I get the equinox 800 and the excal it will get a little easier

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, reading this thread I have been getting an idea. I use a CTX 3030 now but in the past I used a whites PI Dual Field and I always loved the box and thick oring that sealed perfect every time. I never had to worry if I got it sealed up. Never got a drop of water in the housing. I am thinking since I am never absolutely sure I got the battery pack on the CTX seated just right so I put 3 ziploc bags around the battery pack and over the housing of the CTX and then use electrical tape. Now I am thinking that there must be someone out there that can create a mold to fit the entire battery housing that I can snap into place with an oring so it will enclose the entire back of the CTX- something with the same style as the whites pi df housing or like the waterproof boxes that the GoPro goes in. I will talk to my wife and brother in law, they own a thermoplastic fabrication company so I bet they can mold something. I am thinking maybe a ring type snap where it grabs the back part of the CTX. I will have to run this idea by some other people and see. Well, once I get the equinox 800 and the excal it will get a little easier

It's too bad that ML made the flawed design decision to require removal of the battery on the CTX for charging such that you have to constantly make and break the waterproof seal subjecting it to wear and tear or the possibility of improper seating. Either Equinox or Excal are good compliments for water hunting. IMO, though, unless you plan on doing any diving/snorkeling type detecting beyond 3M, the Excal is redundant to the Equinox. Otherwise, yeah, that makes sense.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also don't forget about your headphones IF you want to detect in the rain with your X-Terra. Your head gets wet too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread