Upvote 0

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say just overlap your swings and enjoy the hunt. No one man can cover it all in one day.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set up a grid.Use your(previous) footprints in the sand (on that grid)

as guidelines ,slightly overlapping your swing to insure your covering it all.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at diagram in post #3 here >> (deleted by mod for rule violation, posting link to another treasure forum)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My hunting buddy and I are in the process of hunting a 7 acre permission. We divide the area, hunt as best we can using survey flags as we go. As we began to finish, we will change places and random hunt the others plot because we use different machines. This process take time but it works pretty well. You'll never clean that size plot of everything there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your out hunting a large area, say miles of beach devoid of any landmarks or points of interest for example, how do you decide how to cover the area effectively? Or do you just go? I hate the thought of missing something because I didn't thoroughly cover the area.

To me, it would depend on what I'm finding. If the area has lots of good targets, I'd do an overlapping grid and drag my scoop to show where I've been so I don't miss anything. If the targets are few and far between (and there's no way you're going to finish detecting the area) I don't overlap. I find I cover a whole lot more ground that way. Sure, you might miss the occasional target, but, if you cover more ground, there will be more targets overall in your pouch.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i drag my boot toe a little about every 10 feet ,so i can better see where ive been.
good luck brad

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grid it -- then note where you are making the most finds, then concentrate on those sections, as usually where one thing is lost, so are others.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a beach I would drag my shovel or scoop to see where I’ve been. But like High VDI and others said...slowly. Racing to cover it all will leave things behind for SURE.

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a situation that I would use the GPS on my CTX and map where I’ve been , where I’ve found items.
Then after I’m done put that info in the Exchange program. Then you can see where you’ve been and create way points to be installed back in the CTX for starting points , and places you want to search.
Sounds kind of like time consuming but really goes fast after you do it several times .
I use it a lot
Ben

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a situation that I would use the GPS on my CTX and map where I’ve been , where I’ve found items.
Then after I’m done put that info in the Exchange program. Then you can see where you’ve been and create way points to be installed back in the CTX for starting points , and places you want to search.
Sounds kind of like time consuming but really goes fast after you do it several times .
I use it a lot
Ben

I just use a tracking program on my phone for that. A lot less cumbersome and I don't have a choice since I don't have CTX.

Anyway, With respect to the original question. Do a zig zag or random pattern (pick a waypoint in the distance and do a straight line to it, then turn around and pick another random point in the distance and do a straight line). While you are doing this you are looking for hot spots or patterns of finds. Focus in and grid or spiral out from the hot spots or focus on the patterns (say a line of quarters in the beach indicating a towel or tide line). At the beach, look for cuts (small cliffs) in the sand or areas where the sand has been washed out, old, previously deep targets usually reside there.

Finally, if you do have place like that and can return, then just take your time and be methodical about it, and be glad you have something to come back to repeatedly knowing you will never truly have hunted it out.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Best way I know is to have a large family.

Thats how I cover a large area.

Smaller kids are great too, especially if there are drunks around who like to keep throwing money in the sand to see if the kid can find it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...in a really large area like that? I guess I just sort of aimlessly wonder around swinging my coil with a note pinned to my shirt, "My name is Dave, if found, please call --- --- ----, possible small reward.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grid but also coming from a different angle you may find things that didnt beep the first time go slow have fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread