Would the step up to AT Pro be worth it?

Murphy

Nov 28, 2015
South Carolina
Hey guys I’ve been away from detecting for a few years. I currently have a BH Titanium which I like but I want to upgrade to something in the $500-$600 range. A few years ago the AT Pro seemed to be what everyone had and really liked. Is this still the case or is there better alternatives now? Also would it be worth it for me to step up to this from my current detector? Would I see much of a difference?... Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATP....I use both CTX and ATP and both are great machines. I figured once I got the CTX I would never use the ATP again, but I learned they are 2 totally different machines and the ATP is great for depth and quick recovery.

You could probably pick one up cheap now that everyone is jumping on the Nox bandwagon.

Good Luck!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what i do the AT pro is perfect I am hard on equipment and I know that the AT pro is rugged if not the most rugged, I have a prosthetic left arm and do every thing from the right side so my detector gets abused not sure one of those fancy foreign machines can stand up to the ruggedness of my native ATP, I take pride in that my machine is a native unfortunately not all people are as conservative as I.... just my 2 cents

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm going to buy a EQ800 at some point.....kinda waiting to see if they'll get the bugs worked out of the software...lotsa folks don't like the new software but yet the company came out with the upgrade so soon....makes one wonder if they really have the bugs worked out of this new tech.
Garrett makes a great machine despite others opinions. The at pro is easy to use and works great. Plus, like diggin dumps states, you can get a bargain on a used at pro right now.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATP....I use both CTX and ATP and both are great machines. I figured once I got the CTX I would never use the ATP again, but I learned they are 2 totally different machines and the ATP is great for depth and quick recovery.

You could probably pick one up cheap now that everyone is jumping on the Nox bandwagon.

Good Luck!

What he said.....

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what i do the AT pro is perfect I am hard on equipment and I know that the AT pro is rugged if not the most rugged, I have a prosthetic left arm and do every thing from the right side so my detector gets abused not sure one of those fancy foreign machines can stand up to the ruggedness of my native ATP, I take pride in that my machine is a native unfortunately not all people are as conservative as I.... just my 2 cents

What he said...

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATP and quick recovery speed should not be used in the same sentence.

collins6542

Feb 12, 2017
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett AT Gold, SunRay X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
id definitely look at a minelab ETRAC! I have the AT Pro Gold and ETRAC and I love them both!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to buy a EQ800 at some point.....kinda waiting to see if they'll get the bugs worked out of the software...lotsa folks don't like the new software but yet the company came out with the upgrade so soon....makes one wonder if they really have the bugs worked out of this new tech.
Garrett makes a great machine despite others opinions. The at pro is easy to use and works great. Plus, like diggin dumps states, you can get a bargain on a used at pro right now.

Well the firmware update was not really a bug fix update, it merely changed responsiveness on on-edge high conductive coins and one addressed a user interface quirk that confused some folks. Some folks like the new firmware, some folks like the old (less falsing). ML allows you to choose whichever version you like better.. There really hasn't been any performance "bugs" to speak of so I doubt ML is going to come out with a new SW any time soon unless they add new features. Really no need to wait on getting the 800 if all you are waiting for is bugs to get worked out, it was released pretty much bug free. All I know is that I have found more bucket listers with the EQX in 9 mos than I have found with any other detector in the same time frame. And the less folks with Equinoxes out there, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread