gooseman518

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
upper new york
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know where the frost in the ground stops on the east coast, as you go south from new York state ? I know Pennsylvania gets ground frost. does the states below penn. get ground frost in the winter. I was thinking about taking a winter dig trip but don't know how far I would have to travel to get out of the frozen zone. As I am in the paving industry and winter is the slow time for me to get out unfortunately.

Upvote 0

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably need to dig down to find out. It must depend on several factors like how cold it's been and for how long and how much moisture in the ground and how much sunshine the area gets. It might go down several feet or maybe just a foot.

Also snow cover can have a big effect. It can act like a blanket and keep the ground warmer. Montana here. If the ground is dry enough it will not freeze.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gooseman518

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
upper new york
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry maybe I should have asked which states get frost in the winter like north Carolina or south Carolina where does the frost in the ground stop and diggable ground begin

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO frost here

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No frost yet in Maryland. Suppose to be in the upper 30's to mid 40's till at least Jan 2nd.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little frost here in MI I go to the woods all the leaves keep the ground very diggable

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try and find huntable woods - heavy leaf or pine needle ground cover - sometimes you might have a thin frozen crust
but can break thru easily with a shovel or other digging tools
yrs ago I could not wait to hunt and want to get jump on a few spots before others and I was out with a chisel and small sledge :tongue3:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the PA MD state line, it's frozen about 2". But that makes it tough to dig. As you get closer to Baltimore or Annapolis, it is not frozen yet. Northern Virginia will freeze down a few inches by the end of next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread