Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: My Garrett ACE 400 ignored nickels as coins today...why?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16

    Mar 2018
    109
    162 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The hunt site where you found the Nickel...Might want to go back over the general area again...but try it in different modes. (I.E. - Coins, Jewelry, Zero-Disc, Relics...etc) and make note of the difference each mode makes. Will be surprised at the difference...I also have a Ace 400...so might be able to help from time to time.
    Rings&bling likes this.

  2. #17
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    17,468
    20420 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Turn your Ground balance down by 10 after your initial ground balance!!!!!!
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)


    SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

  3. #18
    us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    Garrett ACE 400 (just bought it 11-3-18!)
    95
    301 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks, Smokey. I think I am struggling with the same issue other newbies do-determining where the cutoff is for digging things. I try to dig all, but sometimes it isn't possible. On my Garrett, I have been ignoring anything under 40. After the advice I received on here, I found 3 nickels! I know recognize the mid-tone sound!
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

  4. #19
    us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    Garrett ACE 400 (just bought it 11-3-18!)
    95
    301 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Turn your Ground balance down by 10 after your initial ground balance!!!!!!
    Tommy, the ACE 400 has auto ground balance, so I can't do that.
    Keppy likes this.
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

  5. #20
    us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    Garrett ACE 400 (just bought it 11-3-18!)
    95
    301 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good tip! Thanks for letting me know we share the same machine. I will definitely be picking your brain! What does gold jewelry ring up for you? When you get a crazy non-repeatable sound, do you dig anyway, or assume it's a large soda can? I am struggling with that part....
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

  6. #21
    us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    Garrett ACE 400 (just bought it 11-3-18!)
    95
    301 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Iffy Signals View Post
    Congrats on your new Ace 400. My father has been swinging one for the past year and loves it. I bought him the 13 inch detech coil. Its a couple inches deeper and even ligher than the stock coil. We will be out digging tomorrow and hope to have a video up with the new coil. Good luck with your new addiction
    I loook forward to seeing the video! I would welcome a lighter coil. At least I don't hafta go to the gym so much because I get my arm workout at the same time I detect! I switch arms so they are even!
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

  7. #22

    Mar 2018
    109
    162 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Rings&bling,

    Only ring I've found to date was laying on top of the ground in a Tot-Lot... Other than that...mostly just modern clad...oldest coin to date was a 1918 penny. Want to get into the 1800's so bad it's killing me...

    Here's what I've been getting so far on modern clad coins...you will probably have different soil conditions...so factor that in as well.

    Penney.....~ 84
    Clad Dime....84-85
    Pull Tab.......72
    Quarter.......88-89
    .22 shell casing....39-42
    Nickel.........70-71 (Strange you are getting 47 on the VDI for a Nickel)

  8. #23
    us
    Aug 2017
    Concord
    Garrett 400
    5
    6 times
    Metal Detecting
    I also have the Ace 400, being using it for going on 3 years now. Have recovered almost 1400 clad quarters, over 1000 clad dimes, uncounted pennies, and only 140 nickels. One gold ring (read 40). Nickels read 44-46, copper pennies 84, zinc pennies in the high 70's. Got a 5x7 DD coil for Xmas, trying it out this week. NOT ONE SINGLE SOLITARY SILVER DIME OR QUARTER. Bad luck or what
    Rings&bling likes this.

  9. #24
    us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    Garrett ACE 400 (just bought it 11-3-18!)
    95
    301 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cougar14 View Post
    I also have the Ace 400, being using it for going on 3 years now. Have recovered almost 1400 clad quarters, over 1000 clad dimes, uncounted pennies, and only 140 nickels. One gold ring (read 40). Nickels read 44-46, copper pennies 84, zinc pennies in the high 70's. Got a 5x7 DD coil for Xmas, trying it out this week. NOT ONE SINGLE SOLITARY SILVER DIME OR QUARTER. Bad luck or what
    That's a BIG amount of clad coins! Let me know how you like the 5X7 coil. That's next on my "to buy" list. Here's wishing for silver for both of us in 2019!!
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

  10. #25
    us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    Garrett ACE 400 (just bought it 11-3-18!)
    95
    301 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Got-Good-Tones View Post
    Rings&bling,

    Only ring I've found to date was laying on top of the ground in a Tot-Lot... Other than that...mostly just modern clad...oldest coin to date was a 1918 penny. Want to get into the 1800's so bad it's killing me...

    Here's what I've been getting so far on modern clad coins...you will probably have different soil conditions...so factor that in as well.

    Penney.....~ 84
    Clad Dime....84-85
    Pull Tab.......72
    Quarter.......88-89
    .22 shell casing....39-42
    Nickel.........70-71 (Strange you are getting 47 on the VDI for a Nickel)
    Other than the nickel, I am getting the same numbers as you. I wish for early silver for you in 2019, my friend!
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

  11. #26
    us
    secondstar

    Mar 2017
    Massachusetts
    XP Deus, Minelab Equinox
    207
    827 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey Rings&Bling, I owned a Garrett Ace 250 for a number of years and have been fortunate enough to hear that bell tone many, many times! Nickels are lower conductors so you will therefore not hear the bell tone when your coil passes over one. Nickels, shotgun shells, pull tabs, and (some) gold targets are all lower conductors and on many machines will all share the same target ID (TID) number on the VDI. There are various factors that can cause a target to display a higher or lower TID than expected. Just last week I found a Barber dime that rang down in the penny range because it was surrounded by iron. I dug because I was able to get a clearly repeatable tone / TID. Remember, when in doubt, dig it out! Happy New Year!

    Mike
    Rings&bling likes this.

  12. #27
    us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    Garrett ACE 400 (just bought it 11-3-18!)
    95
    301 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by secondstar View Post
    Hey Rings&Bling, I owned a Garrett Ace 250 for a number of years and have been fortunate enough to hear that bell tone many, many times! Nickels are lower conductors so you will therefore not hear the bell tone when your coil passes over one. Nickels, shotgun shells, pull tabs, and (some) gold targets are all lower conductors and on many machines will all share the same target ID (TID) number on the VDI. There are various factors that can cause a target to display a higher or lower TID than expected. Just last week I found a Barber dime that rang down in the penny range because it was surrounded by iron. I dug because I was able to get a clearly repeatable tone / TID. Remember, when in doubt, dig it out! Happy New Year!

    Mike
    Thanks, Mike. Your advice is solid. Today I found a nickel at an abandoned school site, and it rang up at 39 instead of the usual 47. I got a stead repeatable tone, and decided to dig it. I am beginning to feel more comfortable with those mid-range tones. I would LOVE to find a barber dime!
    secondstar likes this.
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

  13. #28
    us
    secondstar

    Mar 2017
    Massachusetts
    XP Deus, Minelab Equinox
    207
    827 times
    Metal Detecting
    Keep swinging and you’ll find Barber coinage before you know it! The ACE 400 is a solid machine, I’m glad that you’re enjoying your new hobby!
    Rings&bling likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Imagine a world of no coins except nickels.
    By ChampFerguson/TN in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Feb 12, 2017, 09:49 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 31, 2016, 11:11 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Oct 12, 2015, 10:10 PM
  4. Garrett AT3 & Garrett Infinium Each Got Gold Today.
    By John-Edmonton in forum Garrett
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 13, 2008, 11:12 PM

Search tags for this page

ace 400

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0