Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: My Garrett ACE 400 ignored nickels as coins today...why?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    Garrett ACE 400 (just bought it 11-3-18!)
    208 times
    Metal Detecting

My Garrett ACE 400 ignored nickels as coins today...why?

I was detecting this afternoon at some firework stands. I happened to dig up a nickel near another coin, but it didn't ring up on my ACE 400, it just gave a trash signal. The VDI read out a typical 47, but I did not get the bell tone at all like I had in previous searches. Had it been in the ground too long? I had "jewelry" mode on and no iron audio.
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

Jan 2006
    215 times
    If the nickel was next to another coin a higher conductor such as a Dime, Penny or a Quarter it could have pulled your VDI range up out of the nickel range. Check your detector with the nickel only and I bet all will be good.

I hunt by tones/sound and only use the VDI as a second way of ID for the possible type of metal in the ground. VDI are only accurate on American coin type items by them selves. There are way to many real world items that will ring up in the same ranges and not be a coin at all.

Diffrent types of coins and also a multitude of trash and other metal items can alter your tones and your VDI numbers if next to or in the same hole as the coin or target that you find. This can pull your VDI numbers up and it can also drive them down. It all depends on how the detector is actually picking up and trying to register the multiple items in the ground.

There's is an old saying dig everything if you really want to know what's truly in the ground. The true best and most accurate VDI, your eyes..Lol.

All The Best,
    Bill G
    Last edited by Bill G; Dec 21, 2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Every find is a good find, some are just Great........

us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    208 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks, Bill, good tip on the pulling out of range idea. I did check the nickle with just the detector, and it rang up a 47, but again, no bell tone as with other coins. As a relative newbie, I have only found a total of 5 nickels. However, the first four nickels range up with the bell tone. I usually hunt by tones first, then double check the VDI.

Jan 2006
    215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rings&bling View Post
    Thanks, Bill, good tip on the pulling out of range idea. I did check the nickle with just the detector, and it rang up a 47, but again, no bell tone as with other coins. As a relative newbie, I have only found a total of 5 nickels. However, the first four nickels range up with the bell tone. I usually hunt by tones first, then double check the VDI.

I just glanced at the Garrett Ace 400 owners manuel on Kellyco web page. I am not familiar with the Ace 400 as I don't own one. It looks like a nickel should come in around 45 to 47 according to Garretts VDI scale for the Ace 400 detector. Also the bell tone would normally be for higher conductors than nickel according to the manual. I am surprised you were getting the bell tone on nickels according to there tone descriptions for coins.

Take a look at your owners manuel it will more than likely give you some good insight to your detector.

All The Best,
    Bill G
    sprailroad and rook3434 like this.
    Every find is a good find, some are just Great........

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    4121 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Garrett
    Rings&bling likes this.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2611 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewing View Post
    Garrett
    Rings&bling likes this.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2566 times
    It's been a long while Rings, but for some years I used a Garrett GTA 1000, it to had a bell tone, (As Mr. Garrett put it, the sound of money), and if I remember, something like a nickel and perhaps a gold ring, did not sound of with the bell tone, but rather a mid tone in general, perhaps of the lower conductivity of the alloy. If I'm correct, on a good mid tone, check the VDI again, (about where it's at) dig it and see what's what. If you get a nickel, remember it. Now, here's the thing though, most every machine I've had,(7), nickels, some gold rings, along with pull-tabs and lead sinkers, will often show and sound about the same, so......
    Rings&bling and Bill G like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    12297 times
    I would do a little more testing on clean ground with the coins and settings. Happy Holidays.
    Bill G and Rings&bling like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    208 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks, Bill, and Rook! I appreciate the help!
    Last edited by Rings&bling; Dec 22, 2018 at 03:05 PM.
    Bill G likes this.

us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    208 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree, I can tell I need to do the test, and take a second look at things. I went to a park today, and found a quarter and two dimes where I hunted yesterday, simply because I listened to mixed trash signals differently....I still have a LOT to learn! But I am SOOOO addicted!
    Iffy Signals, Bill G and Icewing like this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3229 times
    Metal Detecting
    Def. an addiction!

Remember too that there's tons of variables involved that can change a tone or VDI reading. Mineralized ground, iron in the area or other reasons like a coin on edge ect. More time digging these items will help you learn the little nuances of your machine. Most places now days have very little if any obvious dig me signals so many times we're left looking for the iffy or handicapped ones.
    Rings&bling and sprailroad like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dennis

Sep 2018
    Conshohocken PA
    Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    469 times
    Nickels in my area come in at 53
    Rings&bling likes this.

us
    Nov 2018
    San Antonio
    208 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's a much higher number, Coshyboy….

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    15914 times
    Banner Finds (6)
    I do not rely on the VDI as an indicator whether to dig or not, with the exception of a salt water beach, on the high, dry sand. Really low numbers are generally foil, and I don't dig them however gold comes in just over that reading. The higher coin probably confused it. If you get a solid repeatable tone, dig it.
    Rings&bling likes this.

us
    Sep 2018
    Rhode Island
    Deus & Nox
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rings&bling View Post
    I agree, I can tell I need to do the test, and take a second look at things. I went to a park today, and found a quarter and two dimes where I hunted yesterday, simply because I listened to mixed trash signals differently....I still have a LOT to learn! But I am SOOOO addicted!
    Congrats on your new Ace 400. My father has been swinging one for the past year and loves it. I bought him the 13 inch detech coil. Its a couple inches deeper and even ligher than the stock coil. We will be out digging tomorrow and hope to have a video up with the new coil. Good luck with your new addiction
    iffy signals - youtube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links