My Garrett ACE 400 ignored nickels as coins today...why?

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting this afternoon at some firework stands. I happened to dig up a nickel near another coin, but it didn't ring up on my ACE 400, it just gave a trash signal. The VDI read out a typical 47, but I did not get the bell tone at all like I had in previous searches. Had it been in the ground too long? I had "jewelry" mode on and no iron audio.

Upvote 0

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
If the nickel was next to another coin a higher conductor such as a Dime, Penny or a Quarter it could have pulled your VDI range up out of the nickel range. Check your detector with the nickel only and I bet all will be good.

I hunt by tones/sound and only use the VDI as a second way of ID for the possible type of metal in the ground. VDI are only accurate on American coin type items by them selves. There are way to many real world items that will ring up in the same ranges and not be a coin at all.

Diffrent types of coins and also a multitude of trash and other metal items can alter your tones and your VDI numbers if next to or in the same hole as the coin or target that you find. This can pull your VDI numbers up and it can also drive them down. It all depends on how the detector is actually picking up and trying to register the multiple items in the ground.

There's is an old saying dig everything if you really want to know what's truly in the ground. The true best and most accurate VDI, your eyes..Lol.

All The Best,
Bill G

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Bill, good tip on the pulling out of range idea. I did check the nickle with just the detector, and it rang up a 47, but again, no bell tone as with other coins. As a relative newbie, I have only found a total of 5 nickels. However, the first four nickels range up with the bell tone. I usually hunt by tones first, then double check the VDI.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Thanks, Bill, good tip on the pulling out of range idea. I did check the nickle with just the detector, and it rang up a 47, but again, no bell tone as with other coins. As a relative newbie, I have only found a total of 5 nickels. However, the first four nickels range up with the bell tone. I usually hunt by tones first, then double check the VDI.

I just glanced at the Garrett Ace 400 owners manuel on Kellyco web page. I am not familiar with the Ace 400 as I don't own one. It looks like a nickel should come in around 45 to 47 according to Garretts VDI scale for the Ace 400 detector. Also the bell tone would normally be for higher conductors than nickel according to the manual. I am surprised you were getting the bell tone on nickels according to there tone descriptions for coins.

Take a look at your owners manuel it will more than likely give you some good insight to your detector.

All The Best,
Bill G

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long while Rings, but for some years I used a Garrett GTA 1000, it to had a bell tone, (As Mr. Garrett put it, the sound of money), and if I remember, something like a nickel and perhaps a gold ring, did not sound of with the bell tone, but rather a mid tone in general, perhaps of the lower conductivity of the alloy. If I'm correct, on a good mid tone, check the VDI again, (about where it's at) dig it and see what's what. If you get a nickel, remember it. Now, here's the thing though, most every machine I've had,(7), nickels, some gold rings, along with pull-tabs and lead sinkers, will often show and sound about the same, so......

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would do a little more testing on clean ground with the coins and settings. Happy Holidays.

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Bill, and Rook! I appreciate the help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, I can tell I need to do the test, and take a second look at things. I went to a park today, and found a quarter and two dimes where I hunted yesterday, simply because I listened to mixed trash signals differently....I still have a LOT to learn! But I am SOOOO addicted!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Def. an addiction!

Remember too that there's tons of variables involved that can change a tone or VDI reading. Mineralized ground, iron in the area or other reasons like a coin on edge ect. More time digging these items will help you learn the little nuances of your machine. Most places now days have very little if any obvious dig me signals so many times we're left looking for the iffy or handicapped ones.

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels in my area come in at 53

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not rely on the VDI as an indicator whether to dig or not, with the exception of a salt water beach, on the high, dry sand. Really low numbers are generally foil, and I don't dig them however gold comes in just over that reading. The higher coin probably confused it. If you get a solid repeatable tone, dig it.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I can tell I need to do the test, and take a second look at things. I went to a park today, and found a quarter and two dimes where I hunted yesterday, simply because I listened to mixed trash signals differently....I still have a LOT to learn! But I am SOOOO addicted!

Congrats on your new Ace 400. My father has been swinging one for the past year and loves it. I bought him the 13 inch detech coil. Its a couple inches deeper and even ligher than the stock coil. We will be out digging tomorrow and hope to have a video up with the new coil. Good luck with your new addiction :)

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hunt site where you found the Nickel...Might want to go back over the general area again...but try it in different modes. (I.E. - Coins, Jewelry, Zero-Disc, Relics...etc) and make note of the difference each mode makes. Will be surprised at the difference...I also have a Ace 400...so might be able to help from time to time.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn your Ground balance down by 10 after your initial ground balance!!!!!!

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Smokey. I think I am struggling with the same issue other newbies do-determining where the cutoff is for digging things. I try to dig all, but sometimes it isn't possible. On my Garrett, I have been ignoring anything under 40. After the advice I received on here, I found 3 nickels! :hello2: I know recognize the mid-tone sound!

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good tip! Thanks for letting me know we share the same machine. I will definitely be picking your brain! What does gold jewelry ring up for you? When you get a crazy non-repeatable sound, do you dig anyway, or assume it's a large soda can? I am struggling with that part....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread