Fisher F75 SE LTD, Minelab Xterra-505, Whites Prizm IV, Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello people of treasure net!
I like my X-terra 505 but I really want an upgrade
I’m looking at the G2+, T2 and Patriot/F70
My type of hunting is coins and jewelry
The places I hunt are parks, farm fields, woods, and occasional beach
What would be the best detector for discriminating, VDI, and EMI stability while still having decent depth?:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Equinox 600 - Best of luck to you!:skullflag:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are stuck on staying with a First Texas machine I'd get an f-75 + bundle. The DST keeps the chatter at bay vs an original t2, patriot/F75. I do know that Loco Digger here on the forums has a G2 with a stock and small coil for cheap.

I have to agree with Terry though that if you're not a brand loyal guy the EQ 600 is hard to beat for the price. All you would want is a decent pair of BT LL headphones to be cordless.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have had the f70 for years, it is a good machine with fast recovery. It will find coins and jewelry, but it is a tool i use for situations that call it, such as old home sites or trashy areas where you have a lot of metal in the ground. I have taken it coin shooting and done quite well with it though. The best coin machine I have never owned though is the etrac. I saved up and bought one after watching what people were pulling out of the ground with one. I don't regret purchasing it.

I still use the F70 though and it still finds good things. I went out with it not long ago at a old little League baseball field where there was a lot of trash and it picked out a merc about 6 inches down. And this was on the factory setting, the way it comes when you pull it out of the box. It runs pretty stable in this mode. The depth readout isn't that accurate, but neither is the etrac really IMO. the f70 pinpoints really well. Get the dd f75 coil if it doesn't come with it. It may, now that they have the patriot version. Again i bought mine awhile back, and it still works great.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro max wireless water proof great all around and deep on coins

Fskafish

Jan 6, 2019
Southeast indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox, at pro, tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not brand loyal but, it just doesnt make sence to me to buy any of those machines listed above other then the equinox, its just better technology, better machine then the rest of those mentioned, i know people all have there arguements about this machine and that machine, and yea i like the years i used my at pro but i want to give myself the best chance of finding great finds, so out of the above mentioned its imo the equinox...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had both the F70 and the G2, I was interested in the T2 back in 2014 but found a deal on an F75ltd. The F70 is comparable to the standard F75, with fewer options, still a good coin and jewelry machine. The T2 is comparable to the F75 but is know more as a relic machine since it's iron range is 1-40 vs the F70/75 1-15. The T2 can use T2 coils only vs the Fisher F70/75 which will allow you to buy used coils cheaper. The G2 is good, but I was not happy with the mid tone being VCO, I rather have the good old 3 or 4 standard tones. I have been swinging the F75LTD since late 2014 and am still happy with my finds and it's capabilities. I did own a Deus for a year, but I sold it, great machine, but the coils are very expensive. I hear good things about the Equinox series, but have seen many used for sale. I am not a fan of the Minelab flute tones and its Target ID range of 1-44, I like the 1-99 that I have been using.

Since you are familiar with the Minelab tones and Target ID's you just might want to look for a used Equinox 600. I see one selling in the $400 range online.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Landon, I'm not sure your looking at a major upgrade from a 505 to any you mentioned, I have limited experience with the X-terra platforms but can tell you, short of water proofing with coils. (none of the Xterra dd coils are water proof) performance is similar. I prefer the T2-F75-F70 platforms to the Xterra stuff, but Minelab 305 505 & 705 are all decent platforms. I agree with Loco, on the Equinox since your familiar with the Minelab family. I would recommend you look at a 705 and utilize the gold prospecting capabilities in heavy trash areas. But water proof coils are a must in my book.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

oiwon

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Patriot. I live in CA and use it in a variety of environments in and around the state, desert, schools/parks, a lot of beaches and lakes as well. If there's metal in the ground it will find it. I constantly put my garret/tesora buds to shame with my Pat, and they wish they had one. Other than the learning curve, the only problem with it is it just isn't waterproof and the Nox is. I will be buying a nox soon. If you're gonna go in the water or just want the waterproof piece of mind - grab a nox if you can afford it. You will be happier in the long run. If you don't care about that you cannot go wrong with a f70/patriot as it is cheaper. But my advice when comparing these two great detectors would be just to drop the extra coin for a nox or as someone else said buy a used one if available. You could probably get a used pat and save yourself some coin too if you decide to go that route.

Having a waterproof machine is a big piece of mind, even if you're not actually planning on going in the water with it. The multi frequency technology in the nox is also an upgrade over the Patriot. But that's a different discussion.

Good luck let us know what you ended up doing.

Last edited:

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might consider a CZ. Dual frequency, so salt water beaches are no problem. You won't get the whole 0-99 vdi, but an analog screen. Old school maybe, but deep. I take my CZ21 to hunt parks and schools and hit coins hard past the 10" range. My personal deepest was a small nail at 19". I knew it was junk after 8" or so but wanted to see how far down it was and what it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread