Need help

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got out when my new Land Ranger Pro. In about five minutes I got a hit that was reading 94 and showing very shallow. The machine was set on "J" for Jewelry. I started digging a little hole about 6 inches in diameter and a couple inches deep. I found nothing. I took the MD over the hole and nothing showed. I then took it across what I dug out and it hit 94 again. I found nothing, even using the Pinpoint feature it showed but nothing. What do you think was going on? I got discussed and quit.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up it takes a lot of practice. This has happened to me sometimes the target is pretty small and its hard to find theres times I ve flung the coin or target out of the hole while digging .There are people who have worn steel toe boots which caused a false signal. Ive had signals that were 1ft and a half deep or more some big aluminum. A little more practice you will love this hobby. You wont find cool stuff every time out sometimes 10 times out it takes a certain kind to love this hobby give it a chance..

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Like A2coins said, it was a very small target. When it is small, metal detectors will have a hard time pinpointing the object. If you don't have one yet, get yourself a pinpointer. I use a pinpointer from Garrett, the orange waterproof one. Pinpointers will find a small target and save you a lot of time and frustration, not to mention making retrieving a target in the hole much easier.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went water detecting a couple times I would find a signal then try to find it and boom it was gone Im not very good at water hunting that was fun but frustrating.lol

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay buddy, give me the location and I'll go retrieve that Silver Dollar. lol, We have all been there
Try to get yourself a handheld pinpointer. I recommend the Garrett Carrot.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You apparently got the target out of the ground. Without a pin pointer, you need to go old school. Take handfuls of dirt and run them over the coil until you have the target in your hand. Keep dividing the handful of dirt in half until you can see the target. Your next purchase should be a handheld pin pointer so you can make that procedure much faster. Oh, and make sure you don't wear a ring or other jewelry in the hand that swings over the coil! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Whenever someone comes on complaining of "disappearing signals", it's almost impossible for others to diagnose over printed text/internet. Because it involves "sound". And there is no feasible way to explain and describe sounds , in printed text. It would be like asking someone to "describe the sound of C major in printed text". It can't be done. You can only listen to it. Not read about it.

So too is it when the subject of disappearing signals comes up. There's signals vs mere flutters to be ignored. Or screen flickers to ignore vs solid repeating TID's. I have seen some amusing fixes and diagnosis come about to resolve the "disappearing signals", that are A) amusing, and B) could ONLY be diagnosed in person (not printed text).

Eg.: A beginner I took out for training, spent 10 minutes at the corner base wall of an old military barracks. Yet no matter how much he dug, the detector kept telling him deeper. Finally, he gave up in disgust and called me over. In 5 seconds I could immediately see the problem: He was hearing the flashing of the corner of the building (hidden under wood exterior), because he wasn't aware that the edge of his coil was also sensitive to metal (albeit it only an inch, but enough that he kept getting a perpetual signal, that he simply assumed was deeper and deeper).

Another beginner I was showing the ropes to, had complained of "disappearing signals", and sent his XLT into Whites two times to "get fixed". Finally, we figure out what his problem was: Each time he'd get a signal, he'd slow down to "hear it better". But since this was a motion machine (when in disc.), it would fade, the moment he'd slow his swing. Doh! I even asked him: "Hey, I thought you read the instruction manual 3x over. Then didn't you see the part where it said 'motion required' ? ". To which he acknowledged : Yes, he'd read that. But he assumed that meant to simply move the coil back and forth, as you're detecting. To which he thought "That's a silly instruction. I mean.... Duh ... how ELSE is someone supposed to ever progress through the field to hunt, if they're not swinging the coil. If the coil sits motionless, that's pretty stupid. You'd never get any detecting done".

So he simply didn't understand what that meant. And no amount of printed text can explain that fully. It has to be seen and heard and shown.

Thus my advice to the complaint of "disappearing signals" is to hook up with someone proficient in your area. Trade off flagged signals. See how he isolates , pinpoints, and retrieves.

OP
OP
madmantrapper

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The signal did not disappear. The signal is still there. I'm going back in a couple hours and try it again. According to the manual and reading it should be at least a silver half dollar or larger something silver.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The signal did not disappear. The signal is still there. I'm going back in a couple hours and try it again. According to the manual and reading it should be at least a silver half dollar or larger something silver.

Mad-man-trapper: I still highly suggest hooking up with someone proficient, and comparing flagged signals and retrievals. It can greatly speed up this "school of hard knocks".

OP
OP
madmantrapper

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys I went back to the spot and still have the signal but nothing showed. I fooled around the location for about two hours. I found a lot of bottle caps, pull tabs and cans under gravel in the driveway. I think I am getting this thing figured out.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Garrett carrot. Saves a lot of time. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread