cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This may be a dumb ? but I purchased a coin probe from ebay b/c it looked like a neat and eaiser fine tuning digging utensal, but when I got it in the mail today, well to quite honest I dont know what in the hell a "coin probe" is? It looks like a 3 sided knife and is made of polymer same thing they use to make some pistols, and is about 11" long any info would be helpful, lol. I hate to sound like an idiot but I dont know what to do with it ;D ;D
Thanks and HH

Upvote 0

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
First off you should really not buy something you don't know what it is.

anyways to answer your question.

When a metal detector finds something in the ground, sometimes it helps to physically pinpoint where it is at before digging. The coin probe will do just that. You basically poke it into the ground carefully where your metal detector tells you the coin should be at. When you hit the coin, you can feel it and know exactly where it is at and how deep so you can dig it safely without raking it etc etc. They are generally made of plastic or softer metals for the very reason that when you do hit the coin, you don't damage it.

Aaron

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ascholten said:
First off you should really not buy something you don't know what it is. kind of stupid...

anyways to answer your question.

When a metal detector finds something in the ground, sometimes it helps to physically pinpoint where it is at before digging. The coin probe will do just that. You basically poke it into the ground carefully where your metal detector tells you the coin should be at. When you hit the coin, you can feel it and know exactly where it is at and how deep so you can dig it safely without raking it etc etc. They are generally made of plastic or softer metals for the very reason that when you do hit the coin, you don't damage it.

Aaron
Seems like it would take a long time to poke around and hit a dime or a penny i dunno like I said I bought it b/c I thought it was a fancy digging tool I am only out 8 bucks.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Matt
The above information is correct on the use of a probe , the rude
comment was totally uncalled for >:( but as far as the probe goes
some of the very experienced detectors can carefully probe for a coin
they detected and then use a screwdriver to pop it out of the ground.
No damage to lawns.
You were not cheated or mislead , for 8 bucks it probably is a good
deal for someone who learns to use one.

Doozis

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
doozis said:
Matt
The above information is correct on the use of a probe , the rude
comment was totally uncalled for >:( but as far as the probe goes
some of the very experienced detectors can carefully probe for a coin
they detected and then use a screwdriver to pop it out of the ground.
No damage to lawns.
You were not cheated or mislead , for 8 bucks it probably is a good
deal for someone who learns to use one.

Doozis
Appreciate it thank you :)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt...I recalled something my daughter told me while we were at a flea market...I was looking at something that was rusted to heck and back...I picked it up..looked at it..and finally I had to ask the guy what it was..he told me and I kept looking at it..My daughter looked up at me and said "Dad, if you don't even know what it is...then you sure don't need it." Guess I have to agree with her on that one...I don't like the idea of poking around..I would rather use a pinpointer after I dig a small hole..HH

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you thought you were getting a "bargin" -- a "fancy" battery type coin detector probe for $8 --- like the V4 max or something like that -- well you learned a valuible lesson rather cheaply -- a metal detector with no photo or info on it --being sold for $10 might just be only a magnet--- be very sure of exactly what your buying and from whom when dealing online --- while most folks online are good and honest---some others are flat out crooks-- the probe you talk about can eazily pay for itself by saving a valuible coin from being marred during recovery--- so don't feel bad about it --- Ivan

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I see the subject has been covered pretty well already.

Back in the 60's we used to make probes from a piece of 1/8 to 1/4 inch copper welding rod with a wooden handle. We sharpened a point to make it easier to push into the ground. Basically it cost us about 30 cents to make it.

It works better than electronic pinpointers simply because it can go deeper.

The down sides are having to carry it and they can scratch coins if not extremely careful.

It takes plenty of practice to learn how to probe by once mastered it can be a great help.

Badger

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume it looks like this? As others have said, you use it to probe the ground for an object. I use it to mark exact dead center of coil hot spot before moving my eyes away to put detector on ground and start digging. I also know when I've dug a target at 12" because this probe will fit in hole. You will only be able to probe a target so deep, and likewise be able to use a screwdriver on a target so deep. And in the woods and crop fields digging is not a problem.

Much longer probes are used for finding bottle dumps etc. and they look a little different. Good luck!

Attachments

• B1759.jpg
    B1759.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 207
OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ocean7 said:
I assume it looks like this? As others have said, you use it to probe the ground for an object. I use it to mark exact dead center of coil hot spot before moving my eyes away to put detector on ground and start digging. I also know when I've dug a target at 12" because this probe will fit in hole. You will only be able to probe a target so deep, and likewise be able to use a screwdriver on a target so deep. And in the woods and crop fields digging is not a problem.

Much longer probes are used for finding bottle dumps etc. and they look a little different. Good luck!
umm not exactly I now know what to do with it though and it does seem that it would work pretty well for that purpose here a pic of what it looks like:

Attachments

• digging tool1.jpg
    digging tool1.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 177
  • digging tool 3.jpg
    digging tool 3.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 198

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok good! Just make sure the tip is not too sharp or it'll be real easy to scratch a coin laying flat in ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions