Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Would you give it a swing?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2012
    275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    I think I'll give it a try. Took a walk out there this morning and realized there is a tot lot at one end. Gonna hit that first. Looking at historical aerials it looks like a field that was kept plowed from the 1930's until the late 90's. now its just grass.
    I would definitely try it. Whomever plowed that field most likely lost stuff. If it gives up a couple of old goodies, it would be worth it to me. And if it has a tot lot plus the ball field now, you should find some clad as well.
    Texas Jay and Loco-Digger like this.

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    5585 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Personally, I do not think that just hunting "any old farmer's field" is worthwhile. There has to have been something that went on there. Eg.: a cellar hole, stage stop, park, trading post, traveler stop spot, habitation, etc....

Perhaps in Europe they can just walk out to "any cultivated field", and detect, and find stuff. But they've had 2000+ yrs. of continuous cultivation/civilization there (of which 1800+ of those years were hand-labor). Versus the USA, where our history is just too young.

Oh sure, somewhere ... in any random field in the USA, is *bound* to be a fluke wheatie, buffalo nickel, or whatever. But it's needles in hay-stacks, if you're relying on random field-worker losses. JMHO.
    True but the more modern Farm hands were at-least paid in the NJ area , hitting a random farm field here in the SE (it's more like finding 'marked' piece of hay in a hay stack , LOL but items do appear , Me i'd love to hunt a random field in NJ , heck I may find my first LC or something Colonial -ish.

So imo I'd hunt the heck out of it.
    Davers
    Texas Jay and Loco-Digger like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7922 times
    The Truth
    Don't worry tom I wasn't referring to you as a nay sayer.Kids weren't taught crap in school about history.People have to get that crap out of their minds,think outside the box,and learn things for themselves.Basically start over if you will.

us
    Jan 2017
    East of snowflake Arizona completely off grid
    Mine-Lab X-Terra 705 with three coils 5x10 hf,9 inch 7 mf and 6 inch hf Garrett AT pro
    341 times
    I would hunt every inch of that field

The way you have to look at it is this if people have ventured onto that area there is always the possibility they have dropped something

The area I live is completely off grid and believe it or not I was hunting a wash where cattle cross and found a large coin spill and if you were to venture into this and found a coin spill the light bulbs would suddenly turn on and you would think how in the world did that get there,it just shows there is always the possibility someone from somewhere has dropped something so hunt,hunt,and hunt
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    East of snowflake Arizona completely off grid
    Mine-Lab X-Terra 705 with three coils 5x10 hf,9 inch 7 mf and 6 inch hf Garrett AT pro
    341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James Cash View Post
    Don't worry tom I wasn't referring to you as a nay sayer.Kids weren't taught crap in school about history.People have to get that crap out of their minds,think outside the box,and learn things for themselves.Basically start over if you will.
    Man you hit the nail on the head there most kids these days are dumber than a box of rocks,and have absolutely zero common since,which is the one thing that cannot be taught
    Last edited by oldkoot; Dec 29, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Red James Cash and ecmo like this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3534 times
    Metal Detecting
    Id beep it. Found a braided hair largie at a ballfield that was once farmed about a month or so ago. Probably mowed nice and tight and sounds close to home. Could always throw in the towel if it's too quiet for you.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    19678 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well Oldhead,,
    There it is.
    Everyone except Tom in California is saying that you should hunt that field. Aren't you glad that you don't live in California?
    Oldhead and Texas Jay like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    494 times
    Where I live, we don't really have "random" fields, but we do have "random" woods. Some of my best finds have come from them. I still wouldn't hesitate one second to hunt that field. You got nothing to lose. Not sure why Tom is being so discouraging.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    927 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    I think I'll give it a try. Took a walk out there this morning and realized there is a tot lot at one end. Gonna hit that first. Looking at historical aerials it looks like a field that was kept plowed from the 1930's until the late 90's. now its just grass.
    Good luck! It is likely that the history of that field goes back to the 1600's. I have pulled english and spanish coins going back to the 1500's from farm fields. I think the East Coast has the advantage here over the West Coast. NJ also has Revolutionary War and War of 1812 history.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 43; dimes: 2
    Total skunk boxes: 28 halves, 2 dimes
    90% halves from boxes: 29
    40% halves from boxes: 93
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

us
    Mar 2018
    New Jersey
    Fisher F5
    426 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Good luck! It is likely that the history of that field goes back to the 1600's. I have pulled english and spanish coins going back to the 1500's from farm fields. I think the East Coast has the advantage here over the West Coast. NJ also has Revolutionary War and War of 1812 history.
    I’d certainly love to find something civil war period. Definitely doesn’t have to be a coin. I’d be ecstatic with a nice button or buckle.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    Is it the thrill of the hunt or the fact that you get to play in the dirt.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1142 times
    I wouldnt hesitate! Remember frequency shift on the F5 is your friend (around the powerlines) . I have a few hundred hours on the F5 . If it were me I would consider AM (a little extra depth) sensible gain (help it run stable)with a highish threshold. The lack of depth was my main issue with the F5 and cranking up the sensativity and thresh was too much for me to process at times....listening 'through the noise' could make my ears/ head ache.
    Despite all that sometimes I miss it!

Good luck
    Chub
    Loco-Digger likes this.

ca
    Sep 2014
    Nova Scotia
    AT PRO
    101 times
    If I have to sit and think about it then its worth a look. Maybe just a rapid pass through where you think the best chance that there used to be a house or something. If you start hitting targets slow down and look for more. If there is nothing keep passing through.

us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    4593 times
    I'd swing it no matter what. But I would also look for old 1800 or older maps of the area and see if there were any houses. Then hit those areas first. There are lots of fields in my area, I've found 3 old houses on an 1856 map in my area that are gone and are just fields now. All 3 are on the same road. Maprika is an awesome program to learn and really helps finding new places to hunt.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

us
    Nov 2015
    South Carolina
    Minelab Equinox 600
    48 times
    If I ever think it may not be worth it then that’s when I’ll probably hang up detecting. For me it’s the thrill of possibly finding something good that I love. So needless to say any chance anywhere I’m in.
    Loco-Digger and HighVDI like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9618 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyme View Post
    .... But I would also look for old 1800 or older maps of the area and see if there were any houses. Then hit those areas first. There are lots of fields in my area, I've found 3 old houses on an 1856 map in my area ....
    Why ? Why would you preference those areas first ? Why not just random fields ? Why the preference for where old habitations/activity occurred ? Careful, they'll start making fun of your education !

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go hunt in the middle of the Sahara desert now. After all: Ya never know if someone didn't walk past this spot 200 yrs. ago, and loose a coin.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links