Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Would you give it a swing?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2018
    New Jersey
    Fisher F5
    421 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Would you give it a swing?

There is a big field right next to my development that has been nothing but a farm field since the 30's. It's now township owned and has a ball field on one end. I was thinking of swinging the more open end away from the ball field. Power lines split the field down the middle so anything more than 4 to 5 inches I doubt I'll find due to the settings I'll have to run to keep the machine quiet. Think it is worth a swing hoping to find coin that may have fallen out of a farmers pocket while plowing?
    Davers, Texas Jay, Hawks88 and 2 others like this.
    Is it the thrill of the hunt or the fact that you get to play in the dirt.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9033 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    ....Think it is worth a swing hoping to find coin that may have fallen out of a farmers pocket while plowing?
    Personally, I do not think that just hunting "any old farmer's field" is worthwhile. There has to have been something that went on there. Eg.: a cellar hole, stage stop, park, trading post, traveler stop spot, habitation, etc....

Perhaps in Europe they can just walk out to "any cultivated field", and detect, and find stuff. But they've had 2000+ yrs. of continuous cultivation/civilization there (of which 1800+ of those years were hand-labor). Versus the USA, where our history is just too young.

Oh sure, somewhere ... in any random field in the USA, is *bound* to be a fluke wheatie, buffalo nickel, or whatever. But it's needles in hay-stacks, if you're relying on random field-worker losses. JMHO.
    Hawks88 and Slowtaknow like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Nov 2012
    268 times
    If it was used by people in the past, then it's worth it. You need to find out a little history before you go. Was dirt transferred there from other places, and if so, what kind of places was it? The reason i say that is We have some ball fields in my area they built in the 60s and 70s, but they brought in fill dirt from much older areas, and i have found Mercury dimes, war nickels, and old sterling out of it, not to mention new clad. And where i found the older items is where the fill dirt was put in. I wouldn't write it off, but i would ask some questions and see if i can find some information on it before i go.
    Loco-Digger and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    15914 times
    Banner Finds (6)
    Only one way to find out.
    Icewing, Davers, Texas Jay and 3 others like this.

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7234 times
    The Truth
    Go nuts,there's more history in the New England area than most books will tell you.
    dts52, Icewing, Megalodon and 4 others like this.
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

Liberals,too stupid to know that they are really communists.

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.Ē

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1330 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    What's the downside? Even if you don't find a copper or a reale you might score an ox knob, shoe buckle or whatever. Lots of colonial stuff got dropped over the years. If you get enjoyment from just MDing regardless of finds, then you're way ahead of the game. I'd certainly give it a shot unless you have more promising sites.
    HH
    dts

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    12640 times
    hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    i would do it. I swing in a field anyway i mostly find relics but a coin pops up every now and then
    'Give me liberty or death'. Patrick Henry

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7234 times
    The Truth
    Lots of things have been found in New England that have no business being here.Celt bronze dagger,Roman oil lamp,Roman amphora off the coast of maine,etc.the list goes on.

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.Ē

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7234 times
    The Truth
    Don't listen to the narrow minded nay sayers who can't think outside the box that public school system put them. in

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920I Sand S
    1463 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    If you donít look for it you wonít find it! Get out there and dig it!!
    Davers, Loco-Digger and Hawks88 like this.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920I Sand S
    1463 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    P.S take an hour and look. You spend more time than that watching TV commercials.
    Davers and Texas Jay like this.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett Master Hunter 7
    638 times
    "Nothing ventured - nothing gained"
    1. Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

2. Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Final 2018 CRH: Boxes of halves: 68
    Total skunk boxes: 30
    90% halves: 82
    40% halves: 171

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    322 times
    Personally, I would hunt the heck out of that field. Stuff is everywhere in the ground. You never know what you might find until you hunt it.

us
    Mar 2018
    New Jersey
    Fisher F5
    421 times
    I think I'll give it a try. Took a walk out there this morning and realized there is a tot lot at one end. Gonna hit that first. Looking at historical aerials it looks like a field that was kept plowed from the 1930's until the late 90's. now its just grass.
    Is it the thrill of the hunt or the fact that you get to play in the dirt.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9033 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James Cash View Post
    Don't listen to the narrow minded nay sayers who can't think outside the box that public school system put them. in
    Red J-Cash: Love your posts

We have a farmer's ag field (leaf vegetables) here in CA (probably been under continuous cultivation since the 1880s), that we hunt because it was the site of a contact-era Indian rancheria. And, of course, we are looking for reales, buttons, etc.... of the 1790s to 1820s era.

But every once in awhile, over this 60-ish acres, yes .... an occasional silver washington, or wheatie, or buffalo or clad dime has surfaced. Those, of course, are nuisance finds and obviously not what we're looking for And one day, after years of working this site, I sat down and mentally calculated the amount of "random field worker losses" we'd pulled over the years. And I can honestly say, that if THOSE were someone's goal (ie.: if the earlier history had not gone on there), then it would have been a very poor use of their time (Eg.: 30 hrs. for a wheatie, etc....) .

Yes, the east coast has more history, but , here's another example:

At the Virginia NDL hunt that just finished up, there were 600 acres. Of which it has been under continuous cultivation since maybe even colonial times (certainly by the CW era). And let me assure you: There were VAST areas , of that 600 acres of fallow corn fields, that had UTTERLY nothing in them (except an occasional aluminum can glob by a tractor driver who chucked his soda can out of the window). The hunters all ended up gravitating to the zones where suspected CW front line sentry camps had been. And to several cellar-hole home-site portions that had been in the 600 acres. Once you got out of these zones (into "random furrowed ag"), it was quite sterile indeed.

So ... as you can see, even on the east coast, they will study history, and don't simply just go to "any random field".
    Loco-Digger and DeepseekerADS like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links