chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to my favourite site tomorrow with the F75. Its a English military camp from the late 1800s. Ive pretty much hammered the main block houses and areas of occupation but have never gone too crazy in the dumping area. Its thick with iron...

Ive always used 3 tone. ( hang over from the F5) then I went through a long period of using Delta pitch. After reading the manual again Im going to test drive 1N tomorrow -Iron is silent but shows on the vdi. Ive always used 3 tone so that I can hear any signs of iron grunt during a false high tone (normally a rust halo reading up in the high end of the VDI).

Any thoughts from anyone? I dont have a good reason why I have never considered the 1 and 2 tone options.... kind of embarrassing considering the hours I have on this machine :sadsmiley:

Chub

Upvote 0

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
monotone, Disc on 6 might even work? I always did well with 2f at the older sites.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one. Thanks, Ill try it.

Chub

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have an idea where the trash pits were, I'd dig and sift. You'd be amazed at what you will finds at 3 or more feet below the surface. I normally run 3 tones in the fields and if there are power lines close I have no problem when I hunt at a sensitivity of 65 and still get good depth. Just yesterday I was detecting a permission and had my nel sharpshooter attached (9.5x5.5" coil). I hit on targets at 11" deep in DE mode, 3H tone , disc of 1-6, at 65 sensitivity in wet soil.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For sites with desirable relics I would consider switching over to all metal and watching the display.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for everyones input. I did a bit of everything today...but ended up back in 3 tone with a little discrim past the iron and into the foil. Found the usual buttons, harmonica reeds etc. Nothing super unusual but enjoyed the fresh air. been a while since Ive been out.

Chub

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three with high nickel (3H) is what I normally use for coin shooting. It's a good all-around setting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread