Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree45Likes
  • 5 Post By Jono
  • 2 Post By vpnavy
  • 3 Post By Komzoom
  • 7 Post By Loco-Digger
  • 4 Post By GopherDaGold
  • 3 Post By sprailroad
  • 3 Post By BLK HOLE
  • 2 Post By Raider19962
  • 2 Post By RTR
  • 2 Post By CoilTek3
  • 2 Post By tahomatom
  • 3 Post By HighVDI
  • 3 Post By Professor of Engineering
  • 2 Post By Hawks88
  • 2 Post By rook3434

Thread: New guy... new detector... need advice

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

New guy... new detector... need advice

Hi all. Just getting into this hobby and got a metal detector (Teknetics Delta 4000). I went out today on my first outing to the rocky beach causeway in Dunedin near me. I found a couple cans... I'm getting real good at finding old beer cans... LOL. I set the discrimination higher to begin ignoring any zinc or aluminium... I think this was the right way to focus on more coins and jewelry? So I started watching the target reading numbers on the display. I think higher numbers are indicative of more quality metals 80-99, does that sound right or am I misinterpreting this? Finally, my last question is this... I ran into a couple of seemingly good targets... reading 94 - 97 on the display about 4-5 inches deep. I dug on three spots and I didn't find anything... . I then re-scanned the hole and the small pile I had along side of the small hole... Nothing this time - no targets reading. What might I be doing wrong - or is this a common occurrence?

Thanks All!
    Jon
    vpnavy, Hawks88, Lunch Bag and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    11889 times
    1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jono! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
    2nd - While waiting for member help - you might consider browsing Brands > Teknetics.
    SD51 and Hawks88 like this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.

Oct 2016
    Austin.Tx
    Bounty Hunter Platinum, C.Scope 4PI
    8 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think you put a very high level of discrimination. After digging, the target changed the ID value to a lower one. After digging, the target changed the ID value to a lower one. The first step in learning is to dig out all the signals. If you leave the discriminator sector in foil, then you have abandoned small gold items.
    SD51, Hawks88 and Slowtaknow like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16791 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I recommend you gather some common coins of different denominations, scan a patch of ground and find a quiet patch with you only discriminating out iron. Place the coins and maybe a few rings in this area and swing over each one. Make note of the target ID. Then take some trash items i.e. pull tab, foil, soda can, bottle cap, and a few others and do the same. Many of these trash items will not ring in as a tight target ID like the coins. These trash items will probably have target IDs that vary by 4 or more digits. Like other have stated, dig everything for a time until you feel like you can better understand the tone and target IDs.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett Carrot
    1356 times
    Same detector here. You may want to notch out the .50 in iron-heavy areas. For some reason larger iron will give me readings in the 90's. In my experience, higher numbers are generally good; my 1853 Seated dime read in the 80's.
    Hawks88, chub, Loco-Digger and 1 others like this.
    Watch for Motorcycles

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2854 times
    Hang in there Jono, there is always a learning curve in the beginning, be it new to detecting in general or with any new machine you might have in the future, and do follow up on what vpnavy said about going to "Brands" on the Forum, then click onto "Teknetics", there will be good information there with fella's always willing to help. Just be aware that, when you find your first "Good" target, you may just end up like sooooo many of us, "Hooked" on the hobby. 30 yrs. for me, and I still love it.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    3406 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome to the forum from Northern Virginia there is great advice here so don’t be afraid to ask, in the submarine world we had a saying “ the only dumb question is the one not asked” so keep asking. And be patient, there is more trash in the ground than there is treasure, and lastly have fun this is a great hobby!

us
    Mar 2018
    Delaware, The First State
    White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
    287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    I recommend you gather some common coins of different denominations, scan a patch of ground and find a quiet patch with you only discriminating out iron. Place the coins and maybe a few rings in this area and swing over each one. Make note of the target ID. Then take some trash items i.e. pull tab, foil, soda can, bottle cap, and a few others and do the same. Many of these trash items will not ring in as a tight target ID like the coins. These trash items will probably have target IDs that vary by 4 or more digits. Like other have stated, dig everything for a time until you feel like you can better understand the tone and target IDs.

Good advice, Loco.
    Loco-Digger and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    8845 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post

Perfect advice !
    Hawks88 and Loco-Digger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Chief

Oct 2018
    Pensacola, FL
    White's TreasurePro
    108 times
    Tampa, eh? Grew up out near TIA...welcome aboard.

Do what Loco said - it helps TONS!

Also, something I found with my detector - keep digging and also have a pin-pointer on-hand. I have had coins turn up in the excess that was dug up as well as broken pieces of necklaces that get set aside as well. You never know!
    Loco-Digger and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Sutter Creek, Ca.
    Whites 6000di pro plus Whites id beach hunter Minelab pointer. Minelab Xterra 705 Ibuprofen
    79 times
    Metal Detecting
    Welcome to the site. Many good ideas here some of which were given. After setting out coins in a clean area play with the settings and you'll learn how far to go.
    Look in old year books on the Web for aerial pics of of schools with old sports fields. It's always the trill of finding old stuff that has been in the ground for years that amazes me every time.
    Good luck and every machine has a learning curve.
    Hawks88 and Loco-Digger like this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3559 times
    Metal Detecting
    Try lowering your sensitivity down some as some of those ghost signals were probably falsing. On the beach you really need to dig anything above iron as many types of gold and other older coins and even some silver will beep LOW! Remember that gold is a low conductor usually ringing in like foil up to zinc.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    20720 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Hello Jono,

IMHO: You being new to the hobby, I would lower the discrimination to just above iron and dig everything for a week or two. This will help you learn the Tones, VID's and what comes out of the ground! You also need a hand held Pin Pointer. This will making finding the target and extracting without damage.

Take your time and learn the machine, probably takes +/- 100+hours in the field.

Enjoy the new hobby and journey...Good Luck in 2019

Regards,

Doc

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    6813 times
    I agree with everything that has already been said. Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    17050 times
    Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links