Jono

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Just getting into this hobby and got a metal detector (Teknetics Delta 4000). I went out today on my first outing to the rocky beach causeway in Dunedin near me. I found a couple cans... I'm getting real good at finding old beer cans... LOL. I set the discrimination higher to begin ignoring any zinc or aluminium... I think this was the right way to focus on more coins and jewelry? So I started watching the target reading numbers on the display. I think higher numbers are indicative of more quality metals 80-99, does that sound right or am I misinterpreting this? Finally, my last question is this... I ran into a couple of seemingly good targets... reading 94 - 97 on the display about 4-5 inches deep. I dug on three spots and I didn't find anything... :( . I then re-scanned the hole and the small pile I had along side of the small hole... Nothing this time - no targets reading. What might I be doing wrong - or is this a common occurrence?

Thanks All!
Jon

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jono! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting for member help - you might consider browsing Brands > Teknetics.

Komzoom

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2016
CedarPark.Tx
Detector(s) used
MMK, C.Scope 4PI, pin
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you put a very high level of discrimination. After digging, the target changed the ID value to a lower one. After digging, the target changed the ID value to a lower one. The first step in learning is to dig out all the signals. If you leave the discriminator sector in foil, then you have abandoned small gold items:thumbsup:.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recommend you gather some common coins of different denominations, scan a patch of ground and find a quiet patch with you only discriminating out iron. Place the coins and maybe a few rings in this area and swing over each one. Make note of the target ID. Then take some trash items i.e. pull tab, foil, soda can, bottle cap, and a few others and do the same. Many of these trash items will not ring in as a tight target ID like the coins. These trash items will probably have target IDs that vary by 4 or more digits. Like other have stated, dig everything for a time until you feel like you can better understand the tone and target IDs.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same detector here. You may want to notch out the .50 in iron-heavy areas. For some reason larger iron will give me readings in the 90's. In my experience, higher numbers are generally good; my 1853 Seated dime read in the 80's.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there Jono, there is always a learning curve in the beginning, be it new to detecting in general or with any new machine you might have in the future, and do follow up on what vpnavy said about going to "Brands" on the Forum, then click onto "Teknetics", there will be good information there with fella's always willing to help. Just be aware that, when you find your first "Good" target, you may just end up like sooooo many of us, "Hooked" on the hobby. 30 yrs. for me, and I still love it.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Northern Virginia :skullflag: there is great advice here so don’t be afraid to ask, in the submarine world we had a saying “ the only dumb question is the one not asked” so keep asking. And be patient, there is more trash in the ground than there is treasure, and lastly have fun this is a great hobby!

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend you gather some common coins of different denominations, scan a patch of ground and find a quiet patch with you only discriminating out iron. Place the coins and maybe a few rings in this area and swing over each one. Make note of the target ID. Then take some trash items i.e. pull tab, foil, soda can, bottle cap, and a few others and do the same. Many of these trash items will not ring in as a tight target ID like the coins. These trash items will probably have target IDs that vary by 4 or more digits. Like other have stated, dig everything for a time until you feel like you can better understand the tone and target IDs.

Good advice, Loco.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Perfect advice !:)

Dardariel

Oct 27, 2018
Canyon, TX
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tampa, eh? Grew up out near TIA...welcome aboard.

Do what Loco said - it helps TONS!

Also, something I found with my detector - keep digging and also have a pin-pointer on-hand. I have had coins turn up in the excess that was dug up as well as broken pieces of necklaces that get set aside as well. You never know!

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the site. Many good ideas here some of which were given. After setting out coins in a clean area play with the settings and you'll learn how far to go.
Look in old year books on the Web for aerial pics of of schools with old sports fields. It's always the trill of finding old stuff that has been in the ground for years that amazes me every time.
Good luck and every machine has a learning curve.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try lowering your sensitivity down some as some of those ghost signals were probably falsing. On the beach you really need to dig anything above iron as many types of gold and other older coins and even some silver will beep LOW! Remember that gold is a low conductor usually ringing in like foil up to zinc.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Jono,

IMHO: You being new to the hobby, I would lower the discrimination to just above iron and dig everything for a week or two. This will help you learn the Tones, VID's and what comes out of the ground! You also need a hand held Pin Pointer. This will making finding the target and extracting without damage.

Take your time and learn the machine, probably takes +/- 100+hours in the field.

Enjoy the new hobby and journey...Good Luck in 2019

Regards,

Doc

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything that has already been said. Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread