63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent bunch of suggestions with these that turn me on: sizeable plug & dirt pad to keep the grass clean, golf T's to locate center point of the find (helps to confirm the plug & plug size keep as small as possible), good pin pointer makes a big difference, multi-compartment junk and finds pouch (possibly also carry a tight sealing bottle about 1/4 full of olive oil for coins to rest in) and one that has not been mentioned Wireless Headphones. The wireless headphones just make moving around/digging/extracting so much easier. Enjoy yourself out there...…...63bkpkr

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know if this is anyone elses style but i bought a fishinh vest that i love. Was only $20 in ebay. No more side pouch for me. This thing has plenty of pockets and is great.. fits my PP, digger, cell phone, finds ect..

OP
OP
D

Dr.Banner

Greenie
Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Thanks alot!!! Believe or not, I didn't even think about a kneeling pad or knee pads. I probably would have remembered gloves after the first time out coming back caked in mud.:rolleyes: The golf tees idea is genious. Never would have thought of that ever.

Considering I'm not necessarily in bear country, my HK 9mm should suffice, but I may be heading up into mountains some, and this is a perfect reason to purchase a larger caliber CC gun. Plus the misses won't complain since it's for "safety".:icon_thumright:

Besides, "women attract bears" and I can't be too careful if she's with me.:laughing7: Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dr.Banner

Greenie
Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could I would. I have to keep my load light, and one hand manageable if possible. I am disabled and rely on a cane sometimes, so I have my limitations.:laughing7:

But I have been considering a Glock G20 or a Sig P220. Granted, a 10mm isn't going to come close to a shotgun or rifle in firepower, but for a handgun, it would probably be my go-to.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just thinking,it takes a lot more to stop a pissed off bear than it does a crackhead.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
For bear country I'd put the minimum,if it has to be a hand gun, at a .454 casull.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr. Banner, Keeping your load light and going to a 10mm. Have you ever fired a 10mm, if not I would recommend you go to a range and rent the model of your choice and fire 10 to 20 rounds. The Glocks have easy trigger change outs available as after market, the Sigg is a Sigg. A 10mm is a strong cartridge though I believe comparisons between the 10mm and the 45 acp are very close but do your research. A 454 is an Extremely potent round! The weapon either Ruger, Smith or Tarus is a tank (very heavy) and once loaded is six rounds heavier. The 454 will shoot through 3/8" steel plate, so all one needs to do is place the shot and it will do the rest but, the kick is heavy. The recoil can be improved by MagnaPorting the barrel and installing the pebbled grips.

There are several comparisons on you tube of 9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP, 454 Casul, 460 Ruger/Smith(this shoots the 460, 454 & 45 Colt) in gel and quite a few comments about shooting a bear with these various calibers. Again, the 454 will shoot through 3/8" steel plate at 20'. I own a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 though I had the barrel shortened to 5 1/4" and MagnaPorted, I run 300 grain slugs in it when I'm out in the back country, I've fired it through an 8" pine tree and then the slug buried itself in the tree behind the one I shot it through. The 454 is Not For Everyone as it is very heavy and has a solid recoil!!

Lots of choices for you with this adventure...............63bkpkr

IMG_4217.JPG my modified 454, I carry it in a shoulder holster that takes two hands to get it out of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dr.Banner

Greenie
Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you misunderstood me by "keep my load light". Not my actual "gun" but the amount of items I carry with me. I mean, I am disabled so it is very hard for to a. Carry a lot of items with me b. Carry something else that is long and cumbersome like a shotgun or rifle and c. Actually be able to transfer from my cane and metal detector to a "2 handed gun".

I have shot a 10mm, but I was spoiled because it was a Glock 40. Say what you say about Glocks, but the 40 is damn near perfect for 10mm. Just not a huge fan of the longer barrel. I would probably opt for the 29 just for ease of carry, or do the 20 for the extra ammo.

The 454 is nice and all, but again recoil. Also when you're talking about a 6 shot revolver, you may be lucky to get 2, maybe 3 shots off in an actual attack. While a semi auto could squeeze out quite a few easily in that time. We've all been to the range under ideal conditions, but a nice sized black bear comes charging at you, in the middle of nowhere...I'll take my chances with 10mm rounded semi auto.

God forbid you have headphones or earplugs in...by the time your peripheral vision kicks in, that heavy handed, heavy recoil gun will be more of a paper weight than a gun. Again, most guns would be useless at that point anyways, but I think, at least me personally I stand a better chance with with a 16 shot semi auto Glock 20. But we all have preferences, thats why America is so great and gives a ton of options for guns!!!

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
When you get to be as old and broken down as I am, carry a whistle. One doesn't always have cell phone coverage and a good whistle carries a much longer distance than a shout in an emergency.
HH
dts

OP
OP
D

Dr.Banner

Greenie
Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome idea. I'm buying a whistle for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread