pargeo45

Greenie
Oct 9, 2018
Allouez, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very new at this hobby and could use some help when I go to Panama City Beach this February. I am not sure I need protection from the cold water as I intend to go into the water to search. Would some type of wet suit be necessary? I am 73 and not a very strong swimmer anymore and worry about rip tides. Can anyone offer advice on this ? I do want to search in water perhaps up to my waist. Also if anyone is in the area of the Edgewater Beach Resort area I would like to meet any other people.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get an inflatable life vest. I have one. It has a Co2 capsule. If you get in trouble, you pull a cord and it inflates. Real Life Saver!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The water will not be warm

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get an inflatable life vest. I have one. It has a Co2 capsule. If you get in trouble, you pull a cord and it inflates. Real Life Saver!

And if you are flying there, you will probably find one of those vests under your seat ;)

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Our water temps during that time of the year are not comfortable...unless you have a dry suit or waders. At least that's the way I look at it and I'm 70.

During the winter months, I stay on the dry and wet sand and only go little more than ankle deep with shrimp boots on. Keep in mind, that in February the number of "depositors" brave enough to go in the colder water is greatly reduced but they still like to hang out at the beach ergo my focus on the dry and wet sand...towel line and walk line.

Just the view from my foxhole...good luck.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There may be some serious erosion issues down there from the hurricane. I'd check those areas first for older items. Also, I'd check the nearby smaller towns for lost items and older targets such as Port St. Joe if you can get there. Good luck and be safe.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chevk out the forums on beach hunting lots of good info

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would like to say welcome to the forum. I would only go in the water up to my knees and do towel line and dry sand. Good luck and stay safe.

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately you will probably be stopped from searching in the water. Florida only allows from the high tide line to the base of the dunes for MD.

OP
OP
P

pargeo45

Greenie
Oct 9, 2018
Allouez, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be on the Gulf coast. I am not sure this applies to this area,and only to the East coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread